P2714 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. Newbie here. I have. 2006 LC with low 103k on the clock I purchased 5 months ago. Great truck!
I had the honor of meeting those that know the YouTube guru mechanic Scotty Kilmer this week and he checked out my truck. (Aka Grimace) He said all is in great shape after looking it over and using his Computer scan tools. Only one thing came up I believe in its history and it was a code p2714. He just told me to do a transmission fluid change and filter/screen change. Than go from there. Didn’t seem to be concerned..
I’m not a mechanic but after doing some research of this code it looks like it can be serious. I had no check engine light ever come on since I owned it but have felt some of the symptoms of this code.
Any info or experience about this would be greatly appreciated. I’m all ears! I have read some postings but not all is clear to me.
Thank you in advance.

0571B85E-88D0-46BF-962E-67A2E873E3C1.jpeg

FFDFD731-DFE1-4232-964B-2362AA7A18F0.jpeg

80936DC0-AA17-49E6-901D-0C21D558F653.jpeg

OOh man meeting an internet celebrity....anywhoo.. I had that happen to my Tundra. Turns out mine was low in ATF oil. I put in some good Toyo ATF AS oil. Ensured I follow the procedure on how to fill the oil and it worked to be nothing major. I have put in around 3-4k on my truck and its shifting fine. - Here are the symptoms for me. - Tundra Thunk Issue

Also since this is an old code. Someone may have fixed this issue by adding Transmission fluid and filter change or worse case change the solenoid for you (which actually isnt bad cause sometimes these things stick). I only changed the trans oil and it worked.

BTW here's more detail on the P2714 - What the error and potential fixes.

Ooh and IMHO Scotty.. I hope you take his advice with a hugh mine full grains of salt....again imho he's looking for hits...I am sure he's a great guy.

Beautiful vehicle, congratulations.

The advice to change the filter and fluid is sound. It's simply part of 'base lining' any used vehicle (change ALL fluids). That way you have a known 'starting point' from which to do diagnostics. ATF fluid level and condition being critical to proper operation. It may not be your issue but a good place to start since fresh fluid is just part of a good maintenance schedule anyway.

I'd clear that code (if not already done), have the fluid changed (complete low pressure flush) and then drive it. Look to see if the code reappears and/or if any symptoms continue after 500 miles (give the new fluid time to clean any stuck valve body parts).

Change the trans fluid (fluid exchange) and then level check procedure- yes, but drop the pan to change filter on a 100k mile truck.... I prob wouldn’t do/recommend that.

Make sure fluid level is set correctly before any trans work or fluid exchange.

It’s not hard so it depends on your mechanical competency. Not a procedure that you want to get wrong: too much or too little fluid causes problems. So watch some videos, search the forum or read the FAQ for “WS transmission flush” and “ level check procedure” and asses your ability against the procedures.

Personally I wouldn't let just any corner garage mechanic do this job either - a Toyota trained tech or reputable inde Toyota tech would be better if you don’t tackle it your self.

Read the FAQ first, search, then ask for help if you get stuck.

Saw your truck! Scotty loves it!!

One drawback of the 5 speed transmission is no dipstick, and awkward check and fill procedure (as well as maintaining proper temp). Plenty of threads here

Congrats on a nice 100 series. The Black Garnet Pearl has become one of my favorite colors.

Hey, Scott felt Toyota is not making Land Cruiser, due to CAFE standard. Anyone agree with Scott?

I agree on flushing transmission and would not bother with dropping pan. Factory under filled these. Considering Scotty noted front-end damage. It may have lost ATF fluid at time or accident or repair, making even lower. Flushing with Toyota WS would be best practice.

Note to whoever does the transmission flush. TSB changing temperature (lowering) to between 97f- 115f at which fluid is checked. I like to shoot for 97F.
Transmossion TBS 97 - 115.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom