P/S fluid questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched but can't find what i'm looking for, so here it is:

I've been battling the persky P/S fluid leaks for months - I've rebuilt my P/S (with help from a local fellow mudder) and that eliminated the main leak. I then sprung a leak on the reservoir. Got that taken care last Sat. Turns out I over filled the reservoir - so now I got another mess (largest one yet) to cleanup - argh!

With that two questions:
1) What is the proper level of P/S fluid that I should keep? Not seeing anything obvious on the dipstick that tells me the safe range.

2) I'm using the Power Steering fluid (from local auto store) and recently noticed on the cap that it says to use ATF (Dextron) - am I ok with the P/S fluid in there?!

I've searched but can't find what i'm looking for, so here it is:

I've been battling the persky P/S fluid leaks for months - I've rebuilt my P/S (with help from a local fellow mudder) and that eliminated the main leak. I then sprung a leak on the reservoir. Got that taken care last Sat. Turns out I over filled the reservoir - so now I got another mess (largest one yet) to cleanup - argh!

With that two questions:
1) What is the proper level of P/S fluid that I should keep? Not seeing anything obvious on the dipstick that tells me the safe range.

The dipstick should be marked with cold and hot ranges. The part that has this info is a gray plastic extension, I have seen them broken off.

2) I'm using the Power Steering fluid (from local auto store) and recently noticed on the cap that it says to use ATF (Dextron) - am I ok with the P/S fluid in there?!

They all came from the factory with clearish PS fluid/hydraulic fluid, ATF is listed as the acceptable refill. In my experience, PS fluid/hydraulic fluid is a higher performing fluid for the application, will take more abuse, less prone to cavitation, foaming, etc. I run light hydraulic fluid in all of my Toyota power steering systems with great results. Either will work, pick your poison.

My bottle of Dextron ATF says power steering fluid, is that the same thing for PS fluid? Or does if say power steering fluid. I could have sworn I had some.

I read somewhere here that PS fluid work against seals on your PS pump .. and was recommended ATF from FSM .. never take care to be sure of it and take it for granted .. but I'm pretty tempted to swap my ATF for synthetic PS from AMSOIL ..

I use the Mobil DTE years with out any problem. I shy away from using the recommended ATF as they have friction modifiers for transmission clutches which a pure hydraulic system like the power steering don't need.

Can I use Aircraft Hydraulic fluid Mil-PRF-83282?

Can I use Aircraft Hydraulic fluid Mil-PRF-83282?

Oddly enough. I'd like an answer to this one too. Course I'd have to steal it from work and I think that might be a bad thing.

Dan

It's not stealing if you're keeping it out of some hazwaste site. Pretty sure the stuff coming out is at least 5 microns or cleaner.

Fat-fingered on my iPhone using IH8MUD

It's not stealing if you're keeping it out of some hazwaste site. Pretty sure the stuff coming out is at least 5 microns or cleaner. Fat-fingered on my iPhone using IH8MUD

Wasn't suggesting you were. Some folks have access to purchase that, where I do not. As far as reusing old stuff. Errrr Filtered or not I'm not sure I'd want too.

Like I said it would be nice to know if it was possible. Probably really have to dig into the mil-spec an compare qualities.

Dan

Wasn't suggesting you were. Some folks have access to purchase that, where I do not. As far as reusing old stuff. Errrr Filtered or not I'm not sure I'd want too.

Like I said it would be nice to know if it was possible. Probably really have to dig into the mil-spec an compare qualities.

Dan

We have an oil analysis lab on base. I'm sure I could take a sample of ATF and Hyd Fluid in and have them check them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom