Overland Project (1 Viewer)

320k miles. Now what? Rebuild or 5.3 vortec?

• 2F rebuild

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • V8

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
320k miles. Now what? Rebuild or 5.3 vortec?

IMG_1771.JPG

If you want to own a Toyota FJ60, rebuild the 2F. If you want some sort of hybrid that has a more powerful & modern engine, drop a GM power plant in there. Part of the "charm" (if you want to call it that) of the FJ60 is the dinosaur 2F. Others might call it a curse. It's up to you. At this point, the FJ60 is an antique, bordering on being a collectors item. Seeing a shiny clean rebuilt 2F in the engine bay will always bring a smile. But then again, a shiny clean Vortec plopped in there is a pretty sight too.

The Vortec install will be a LOT more work (if you're doing it yourself).

Last edited:
Personally I’d go 2f but that’s just me, I kinda like running 65 and keeping a cruiser a cruiser just seems right

Just finished my LS swap (see my thread on here for an idea of the work involved) and also own a 85 with 140,000 miles that's bone stock. I love the period correct rig but man, load it up with some gear and try to go over a mountain pass and you'll be wishing for a lot more power. My V8 rig is going to be an overland workhorse for the wife and I, so function is more important than form. No way I'd go back to the 2F for this one....

Of I was building an overland rig, I'd go with a diesel and h55f. Diesel fuel more readily available in ROW, a newer V8 could have some issues with the much lower quality petrol in some places. In fact, that's why I chose the 2f. It's low compression can burn almost anything and not complain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom