Builds Overhaulin´ - Lots of pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like that floorpan mod you have holding your shovel. I missed it the first time through your post.

Are you still able to roll down the rear windows fully with the fg speaker pods there (rear doors), or does that sacrifice a few inches of travel of the glass?

Last edited:
That's looking great, haffi. I can't wait to see the results of your work. Lots of good ideas at work on your rig. I love the look of the Icelandic 4x4's and visit Ferðaklúbburinn 4x4 often for inspirational pics.

Keep up the good work!

Winston

looks really nice! coloradolc, how in the world do you even find inspirational pics on that?! i definitely cant read any of it to even find pictures!

looks really nice! coloradolc, how in the world do you even find inspirational pics on that?! i definitely cant read any of it to even find pictures!

It looks like the format of the site has changed, because there used to be a thumbnail of a pic on the left side of the page. You could click on that to get to its album and continue to see the thumb to look at other albums. Now that it's different, click on the Myndir (Icelandic for "pictures" from what I gather).

I have to use an online translator to translate a lot of it, but the icelanders are very crafty with their 4x4's so it's worth the effort!

I like that floorpan mod you have holding your shovel. I missed it the first time through your post.

Are you still able to roll down the rear windows fully with the fg speaker pods there (rear doors), or does that sacrifice a few inches of travel of the glass?

Thanks, there is a thread about the making of the cargo box in the floor.

No I will not be able to roll the glass all the way down, I think I will sacrifice a inch or two. I will show the final outcome when I have the car back and the glass installed.

It looks like the format of the site has changed, because there used to be a thumbnail of a pic on the left side of the page. You could click on that to get to its album and continue to see the thumb to look at other albums. Now that it's different, click on the Myndir (Icelandic for "pictures" from what I gather).

I have to use an online translator to translate a lot of it, but the icelanders are very crafty with their 4x4's so it's worth the effort!

The look of the site was changed few months ago. The new look and the new photo album is not as user friendly as the old one. People does not upgrade the photo albums there as much as they did because oft that.

Click "myndir" and then "nýjast" on the right to see the latest updates or "vinsælt" to see the most popular albums.

Did some more work today.

IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2276.jpg

Cleaned the carpet. Soaked it in soap water and pressure washed it. I´m hoping for a bit cleaner carpets according to all the brown water I washed away.

IMG_2285.jpg

Primed some small parts, I had already sandblasted these parts.

I also started working on the front door speaker pods.
IMG_2264.jpg

Started by making molds off the front door panels where I want my speakers.

IMG_2274.jpg

Also made two MDF rings that fit my new speakers and figured out where and how I want the speakers installed.

IMG_2279.jpg

Then I cut the molds to fit my design.

IMG_2289.jpg

Glued the MDF rings, made the speakers tilt a bit up and towards the rear.

IMG_2290.jpg

Coverd the pods with fabric and wet it all with fiberglass resin.

IMG_2293.jpg

Added one layer of fiberglass mat and now they will dry till tomorrow.

Yesterday evening I removed the front seat belts from the rolls to clean them and added a few rings of tension to the rolls.
IMG_2298.jpg

When I came home today the water looked like this. 20 years of dirt from the front seat belts. I guess I will do the same to the rear belts.

Did a little more work on the speaker pods to day. Now I have to decide if I will cover them with vinyl or carpet. Then I will see how much sanding and filling I have to do.

IMG_2304.jpg

I also did some sanding work on the grill and the chrome frames around the headlamps and side markers. All chrome pieces will be painted.

I´m going to do some kind of mods to the grill, i´m just not sure how it will end. I was thinking of stealing this mod but i just might make my own version of it. I think I want to keep the Toyota logo and the Turbo emblem in the middle of the grill.

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

This is a damn good thread....

Looks like you are going to have some color on the frame and underneath bits.

Great work here haffi.

:cheers:

That heater looks very similar to the ones used in older style air cooled VW's. Great idea Haffi. I think I want one now. Imagine going out to your 80 and the steering wheel is not freezin!:D

No worries about fumes, these are made for being inside the cab. The exhaust, fuel intake and the air intake for the burning chamber are through the floor.

Thanks for the nice comments guys :)

That heater looks very similar to the ones used in older style air cooled VW's. Great idea Haffi. I think I want one now. Imagine going out to your 80 and the steering wheel is not freezin!:D

I don´t have to imagine that feeling, I have had a webasto heater for few years now.

Had a little progress this evening. I glued sound proofing material inside all four doors and then installed the electric window mechanism, the wire looms, the mirror covers and all glass into the doors.
I also got the front bumper and all the fender flares from the paint shop.

IMG_2323.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

A friend of mine also came by and worked on the rear subwoofer box. I forgot to shoot pics of that. I will post pics of that later.

Man, that's a really cool blue. Awesome choice. Love the fiberglass work and enclosures. Cool to see stuff that is out of the norm. Really interested in keeping up with your build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom