Otmt 2009 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Southeast Overland

Get lost! Go explore!
Threads
Website
www.southeastoverland.com
Any suggestions for a location for OTMT (Over the Mountain Tour) 2009? It is typically held @ Tellico but since we don't know if Tellico will be open this Fall we need a back-up location.

I have one place I'm looking at - lots of long trails - expedition style. Trails aren't as difficult as Tellico. It would be more like a Cullowhee trip but IIRC you can't come close to driving everything in a long weekend.

The name escapes me right now. I have the info at home and will post it up soon. It will be a longer drive to get there than Tellico so it might be more of a 80, 100, FJC trip and not a 40, 55, 60, 62 trip unless you are a hard butt.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

UPDATE - Carp is heading up this event - please see post 38 @ https://forum.ih8mud.com/sc-upstate-cruisers/285926-otmt-2009-a-2.html#post4622321

Date - Aug 20-23

Place - Windrock / Coal Creek ORV

UC Members will be responsible for their own food and shelter. Bunk Houses are available first-come-first-serve.

----------------

Last edited:

That might be cool!

Here was one of the places I was thinking about.

Royal Blue WMA in Tennessee

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/gis/miscpdf/RoyalBlueOffRoadVehicalMapMarch2007TWRA[1].pdf

http://www.royalbluerangers.com/

Wow-zers...looks like non-TN residents have to pay $30.50 per day to ride.

That might be cool!

Here was one of the places I was thinking about.

Royal Blue WMA in Tennessee

The STLCA had a chapter ride there in Jan '08. It was a very nice place with a lot of trails. The expense for non-TN residents did get my attention. Also, a good number of the trails need trimming. Group rides with limb clippers could quickly revise this condition. Here is the link to the discussion which includes pictures and post ride stories.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/tn-stlca/191894-jan-19-21-trail-ride.html

The STLCA had a chapter ride there in Jan '08. It was a very nice place with a lot of trails. The expense for non-TN residents did get my attention. Also, a good number of the trails need trimming. Group rides with limb clippers could quickly revise this condition. Here is the link to the discussion which includes pictures and post ride stories.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/tn-stlca/191894-jan-19-21-trail-ride.html

Thanks! I'm checking out the link now...

windrock

Might be a possibility, it is just west of Knoxville.

That place looks nice. It looks pretty hard core too. If you are going to travel that far you can go a little further and hit Jellico.

Jeremy

I went to Windrock/Coal Creek with the ACC guys back in Feb. There are a ton of trails that you could not ever cover in one weekend - which is a good thing. This place would be great if you had experienced trail leaders or we put out the word that you explore on your own terms. We bounded around a trail that apparently dead ended and was not indicated as such on the map. It was a good day of wheeling, but my time was short there and I was hoping to cover more area than the small section we accomplished. We spent the better part of the day winching several J**ps over a couple rocks only to discover we had to turn back around at the unmarked deadend and winch them back. Now that was just one trail and just my bad luck that day. (rant over) I really do want to go back.

Mike and Brian (ACC) took the more difficult trails and had a blast beating up their junk on Rattle Can Rock. So those looking for gnarly Guard Rail/Helicopter Pad/Upper 2 type stuff will be pleased.

There are a couple things of significance about this place. One is that there are two campgrounds that go by the same name "Windrock". "Coal Creek" is the official name of the OHV Park. The older, smaller campground, just NE of the town of Oliver, is the only one that allows alcohol. Don't know how many tent pads or RV pads they have. We stayed in a cute little unheated, unlit, unpowered cabin for the low low price of $50 (confirmed). The larger and newer campground is closer to the trails (we're only talking a diff of 3-4 miles or so) but has apparently strict no alcohol policy.

The second thing is that Trail Access is $17 per person, per day. Not per vehicle, but driver and all passengers. Each person is given an armband and they do have patrolling enforcement. Somebody is making a killing up there, and it ain't from the coal mining or the wind farm.

Distance is another factor to consider. I realize that nothing is going to replace Tellico (Keep up the fight!), but this drive was +4 hours from ATL in my FJC. Not sure how far that will be for you UC folks, LcLC folks, and even our FL Boys. The route there is almost to Knoxville and then some small winding roads to get into town.

pictures uploaded here:
http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/BMThiker/Coal Creek 2009-02/

I'm up for where ever we decide, but just wanted to put some first hand (noob) knowledge on the table.

Last edited:
Side note, anybody know what happened to the shirts from last year?

It sucks to have to leave the Carolinas to wheel with all the great forests around us. Thanks Forest Service!!!:flipoff2:

It sucks to have to leave the Carolinas to wheel with all the great forests around us. Thanks Forest Service!!!:flipoff2:

There are a lot of places to wheel out there. You just have to find them.

That's what scouting trips are for.

:cheers:Just my two cents--- but thats what makes Tellico fight so important right now guys. I was planning to have my ashes spread on top or the HelicopterPad one day!!! What a trail ride that would have been

I had a blast last year at this event. Do you guys think its going to happen this year?

What are the options for location?

It was in August last year.

It was in August last year.

I guess that means we really need to start planning this thing huh?

Anyone want to take the lead?

We have tossed around a few options for locations in this email but haven't decided on one.

Here are some possibilities:
1) Windrock/Coal Creek - lots of trails, $17/person/day
2) Royal Blue WMA - lots of expedition style trails - $30.50/truck/day - maybe per person/day
3) Crawfords Campground and explore - not many real trails around - would support the locals though

Any other thoughts?

This will be a BYO beer/food/shelter/water type of trip.

I would love to explore Beasley Knob more. We saw some camp sites there.

speaking for myself and the boy I would really like to see this get nailed down. We had a great time last year and a new venue would actually be welcome. Not that Telico is bad but it's nice to see new scenery.

We're hoping it's not too far south for us to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom