Orion HD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just put my order in for my Orion HD. AA says I can expect shipping on or about the second week of June. It comes with Orion HD iron case, twin stick kit, and electric speedo sensor. Does not have a parking brake, which works for me because I have Eldorado calipers with bult in parking brakes. I had them put the 4:1 gears 1350 rear output yoke, and the unfortunatly "skinny" front output yoke. Reason being I am mating it to a 700r4.

For those of you who do not know the Orion HD is a direct bolt in unit. It will set my rear output yoke position "just a touch" back. I paid $2300.00 (they will charge me when they build it). That is more than what I paid for the '40 in the begining.

Pics in June (hopefully).

Last edited:
Its a stout unit for sure... I had a chance last week to play around with one :cool:

Orion_HD%20002%20(Medium).jpg

no doubt they are strong units.. Im just thinking for that kind of money, why not go to something thats full 32 spline, and will clear a 700r without playing around with the skinny front drive shaft..

Yes its Centered, but if you need an orion HD how big of a deal is it to put in a Beef Centered Rear axle..

Sorry im not trying to be the negative guy, just thinking out loud..

For someone who has got the $ and just wants to drop in a beef t-case without changing other stuff, this is a good option!

no doubt they are strong units.. Im just thinking for that kind of money, why not go to something thats full 32 spline, and will clear a 700r without playing around with the skinny front drive shaft.....

How many splines do you think it has ;)
(1-3/8" 32 spl F&R)

I can see the arguement in cases where it is coupled to an auto, but it has clear advantages for a manual setup.

Sure you can add a centered rear axle, or center the one you have... but then your looking at new R&P setup, lockers, shafts narrowed, etc.

I guess the right answer is, there is no right answer :D

They are a direct factory replacement

hehe, I have been bugging AA for some time now about that HD. I am sure they are getting tired of seeing my emails.

Production date has been pushed back a couple times, but I keep sitting up and waiting.

Well at least the money has been collecting interest while I have been waiting. damn does that look nice.

My old TC gets louder by the month, and I cannot spend the time on it, seeing as it is to be replaced. droool. droool.

After the HD gets in, I have no excuse not to finally get to the bodywork.

whos was that kurt???

me likey

AA's #1 case... it was at their vendor booth :cool: Production models will be slightly different, they will include a custom billet top cover rather than the used OEM piece.

OlympiaFJ60 said:
Will these Orions work with the factory 4spd/5spd?

Depends... they will bolt up to a 16 spline 4spd, and 5spds (if they can be proven to exist ;)). However they will NOT currently bolt up in place of a 19 spl. H42/H41/H55F. So, if you have a late model FJ40 or FJ60, they won't work.

AA's #1 case... it was at their vendor booth :cool: Production models will be slightly different, they will include a custom billet top cover rather than the used OEM piece.

[insert]That's good news on the cover, considering their brass plug has clearance issues with the factory covers.[/insert]

Depends... they will bolt up to a 16 spline 4spd, and 5spds (if they can be proven to exist ;)). However they will NOT currently bolt up in place of a 19 spl. H42/H41/H55F. So, if you have a late model FJ40 or FJ60, they won't work.

It will if you rebuild your trans [pre 85] with a 16 spline output shaft.;)

Of course you knew that Kurt. Just reminding the other folks.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom