Opinions on a 9.5 Front Axle Build. Worth It? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Patrol front axles ( and rears for that matter ) are pretty strong ( actually you can argue those are better build / hefty than outs ) .. but ! are not Toyota !

Patrol front axles ( and rears for that matter ) are pretty strong ( actually you can argue those are better build / hefty than outs ) .. but ! are not Toyota !

And are not widely available in the US, where the OP is located, therefore expensive and if something gets broken, you're waiting a few months to get replacement parts to ship from outside of the US.

An option that is keeping it in the Toyota family (relatively), might be to get a Tundra rear end and then have some Dana 60 steering knuckles put on that. Custom inner shafts with 2 different spline types cut into them will need to be made, though, as that rear end uses a different spline count and spline angle than everything else.

My opinion, though, is to get a 609 (hybrid Dana 60 and Ford 9") front end built. Lots of parts are available in the US to build it from mildly to retardedly strong.

Why not widened 60 front housing with 80 outers and shafts?

Then truss it. But he's not bending housings, he's breaking ring gears.

With a 60/80 hybrid housing you keep all factory parts (60 or 80 rear diff) and 80 shafts and knuckles. In my mind as few custom parts as possible is best. This way the only custom part is the housing and it's not like anyone carries a spare housing.

And how many front 60/62 series front have you ever heard of an issue with anyways?

sorry about my poor english... its not that hard if you found a rear semi-floting rear axle housing from a 80 or 100 series.. the 9.5 its stronger that the reverse 8 But you will found a really problem with the angle of the shaft .. driving in the freeway will be PITA

No. Only Hi-PINION 9.5" R&P I know of is a Ford D60, often called a "snow-fighter" that came in very late 1970's snow plow ford trucks. I'm sure others can correct me though, as it seems there are other Dana HP's now that I think of it...

Edit: but, no, Toyota never produced a HP 9.5" dif

Just to add to this for anyone searching back through threads. Most ford front D60s are HP. There are a few that low pinion. This is a list. Include all new super 60s also, this list was made a while ago.

There is more info in the Dana 60 bible on pirate.

Screenshot_20201110-075149_Chrome.jpg

My rig weighs 4200 lbs and I run a 60 series front diff with a 2-5/8" spacer on the short side to match it up a bit closer to my 80 series rear axle. I've never had any issues with the ring gear. I've had to replace all of the studs on the hubs with 7/16 fine thread cap screw bolts with lots of red loctite to keep them tight.
I run 39" red label crawlers and we wheel hard where I live. Greasy when its moist out with super sticky rock sections along the way up lots of the climbs, winter waterfalls and creek beds make for some very intimidating terrain for most.
A lot of guys are now running 43" TSL stickies and a bunch are rear steer but I still manage to keep up most of the time. They hate it when I drive my 40 series where they just went in their buggies they just spent a fortune on trying to make it so they don't break s***. I still have a heater, signal lights and a steering box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom