? On wiring quad headlights. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ordered me a set of the quad headlights for my 94 80. Has anyone ever installed these before and can point me into direct if wiring them up. Wiring is NOT my forte. Have the lows connected can’t figure out how to wire in the high beams. Any help would be great.

B36E1BDC-401F-4CA6-9A4A-5FED74E7E04D.jpeg

3DB4C8EC-9681-45E1-865E-122EB9B7C203.jpeg

B0ECAA78-B7CC-4EA3-B8AF-C4D2A44EAC4C.jpeg

I’m curious about the wiring that’s already been done for those lights since both sealed beams are lit while in low beam. Looks like there is a high and low projector in each unit, so I guess the “lows” in both are on, and you want the 2nd light in each unit to fire up when high is selected? Total of 4 lights on, or just the two “high” when high beam is selected?

Op, link to the lights or at least pics of backside?

I believe from “factory” one part of headlights is high beam and one is low beam. I’ve got the quad set up as well but i chose to run my headlights either all low beam or all high beam. The 4x6 headlights are H4 plug which i would recommend picking up from an auto parts store.

Now, H4 has 3 wires, “low beam” “high beam” and “ground”. I’ve spliced and doubled the wire for the low beam into the “low beam” on the 4x6 headlight and added leads to “ground” . Any good grounding location on the body.
For the high beam, I’ve taken an automotive relay, and wires the coil wires (the one which switch the relay on and off) to the stock high beam wires. I’ve fed power and the output to the normally open contact, so when you turn the high beams on the relay energizes and sends power to the “high beam” wire on your 4x6 headlights.

You cannot just splice H4 and 9005-9006 because the high beam is negatively switched, meaning both leads to the high beam stock bulb are energized. When you turn the high beam on one of wires becomes a negative.

I believe from “factory” one part of headlights is high beam and one is low beam. I’ve got the quad set up as well but i chose to run my headlights either all low beam or all high beam. The 4x6 headlights are H4 plug which i would recommend picking up from an auto parts store.

Now, H4 has 3 wires, “low beam” “high beam” and “ground”. I’ve spliced and doubled the wire for the low beam into the “low beam” on the 4x6 headlight and added leads to “ground” . Any good grounding location on the body.
For the high beam, I’ve taken an automotive relay, and wires the coil wires (the one which switch the relay on and off) to the stock high beam wires. I’ve fed power and the output to the normally open contact, so when you turn the high beams on the relay energizes and sends power to the “high beam” wire on your 4x6 headlights.

You cannot just splice H4 and 9005-9006 because the high beam is negatively switched, meaning both leads to the high beam stock bulb are energized. When you turn the high beam on one of wires becomes a negative.

Do you have a picture or diagramon how you connected the relay? Is there a particular size rekey to get? Wiring is my nemesis!
You did what I am trying to do. I have all low beams working. Now just getting all high beams.

also would I need a relay for each light or one relay spliced to all?

@Luke111 thanks for the info on the connectors, I just bought quads and I’m looking to wire them up. I ordered 2. What about the other connector? There’s 2 on each side, one is 2 prong and the other is 3 prong. I’m assuming that connector was for the 2 prong lights.

Aussie 80's had quad lights wired so outer light did low beam + high beam. Inner light does high beam only.
The standard lights had different reflectors and lenses for different beam pattern.

I know this may not be relevant depending on what lights you have

Okay so I ordered the adapters that Luke111 mentioned. Some how I screwed up the first order and then their website screwed up the PayPal part of my second order. After calling and getting terrible customer service I got my second set in about a week later. Sad part is they were still wrong...I needed the male end for the wiring harness and female for the headlight. I went to the parts store for the correct H4 connector and then had to Amazon the male ends so I could just plug into my factory wiring (didn't want to cut it). Amazon description - 9005 9006 H10 Wire Connectors Harness Pigtails - Male Female Adapter Wiring Harness Sockets. Also by doing it this way I could have saved the $19.99 adapters I bought with the quad kit (that arrived damaged anyway).

My wiring harness adapters do not look as good but they work (mine is the one on the right in the pic). Also the quads came with the low beams on the inside and the low/high beams on the outside. I didn't want to chase down how to wire the low/high (H4656 bulb) so the low clicked off when I went to high beam and I wasn't sure if it would handle both filaments being hot at the same time so I swapped the location. Now the inner two lights are only high beams (only 2 of the 3 prongs used). The outer 2 are only low beams. I haven't tested this at night but I'm hoping the two outers put out enough light at night. If not I may try to figure something else out. I figured the bumper was going to be in the way of the inner lights as well. More to come on that but pics are below.

Adapters.jpg

Quads.jpg

Last edited:

Do you have any picture or diagram?? I want all my 4 lights to when in low and high. Thanks

Do you have any picture or diagram?? I want all my 4 lights to when in low and high. Thanks
Your sig says it's an Aus spec 80, so you could just use an H4 splitter. Male into the outer low beam plug, female onto each 4x6. Should retain high beam indicator in cluster. The wiring is already pretty thin, better off using an aux harness for it. I can confirm the stock harness can handle four LED 4x6 running full time, but other road users shouldn't have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom