TLCA Official Cruise Moab 2019 Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ran Hell’s Revenge today with a fun group, led by @mcgaskins

My first time on this trail. Those climbs and descents are insane! Fun day!

Had a great run yesterday on the Gold Bar Rim with Marlin of Marlin Crawler. Great group of people views were incredible at the end of the trail. And I made it up the water fall with out the Hook
B92D89AB-E2F6-436C-95F4-9C8B87B2B983.jpeg
F82A469E-5E6B-457F-A912-974140B77429.jpeg
07935208-6980-4149-959B-7101BE5D6619.jpeg
[

Awesome first Cruise Moab! Ran some excellent trails and got to meet some equally exceptional people. Highlights were Fins and Things for first slickrock trail, Dome Plateu and Top of the World for incredible views, and Hells Revenge for some heart stopping climbs and descents. Hells Gate cost me a side mirror but no big deal.

I was at the staging area Saturday morning to run Golden Spike when I got a call from my wife. She was pregnant but not due for another 2 weeks. Well baby girl had other plans and decided to come early. After a 12 hr drive home, I had just enough time to shower before heading to the hospital. No more than 1 hour after arriving back in Reno, my daughter was born. All went well.

Looks like I'll have to plan a return trip next year to conquer Golden Spike.

47778007081_3dbe42993f_c.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, Kris and I had a blast. Very glad we made it back in time for him to get the wife to the hospital. We drove straight through and pressed that poor -80 to the limit on several occasions. I'll let Kris describe how we rolled into a gas station in Delta, UT. on LITERAL fumes. Suffice to say we learned EXACTLY how many miles it was possible to put on one tank of gas.

I took over 1200 photos and plan to upload the highlights to a google doc as I'm able. If you'd like access, just send me a PM with your email address. Here are a few:

IMG_5262.JPG
IMG_5268.JPG
IMG_5297.JPG
IMG_5283.JPG
IMG_5319.JPG

We just returned from our ten day Cruise Moab Adventure. This included Kokopelli essentially twice, my 18 year old daughter 'gunning the women's run, and then doing her first Trail Leader assignment on Chicken Corners yesterday. It was a great time, with great people, lots of adventure, and some crazy weather!

Yup, Kris and I had a blast. Very glad we made it back in time for him to get the wife to the hospital. We drove straight through and pressed that poor -80 to the limit on several occasions. I'll let Kris describe how we rolled into a gas station in Delta, UT. on LITERAL fumes. Suffice to say we learned EXACTLY how many miles it was possible to put on one tank of gas.

Big shout out to Lee ( @lelandEOD )for tagging along on a 1500mi journey and helping me out quite a bit along the way. I think he now has the CM bug and may end up there in the future in his soon to be diesel powered 40.

Also many thanks to the terrific trail leaders, committee members, volunteers, and vendors that work together to make a large event like this such a success.

As for semi emergency gas stop, the mighty 1FZFE was driven hard on the way back. Not only pushing a fully loaded 80 series on 37s, but fighting some headwinds, thunderstorms, and mountain passes that seemed worse E-W than W-E. Needless to say, gas mileage was sub 10 and in the sake of limiting fuel stops (and saving precious time), a few calculated risks were taken, though we did always have a full rotopax can onboard. I thought I would have enough fuel to get us from Green River to Delta, but with the above mentioned conditions, MPG for this stretch was even worse than 9mpg. After passing the last gas station in Scipio, we decided to roll the dice and shoot for Delta. Within sight of the Maverick on the west end of town, the cruiser died and I tried to coast the last 1-2 blocks. After pulling over on the side, I attempted one start. Surprisingly, it fired up and allowed us to drive the last few hundred feet to the Maverick. Turning in (and likely splashing the small remaining puddle of fuel away from the pump pickup), it stalled but we were able to coast right into the pump. I'll try not to do that again, though a LHD 1HD-FT powered HDJ80 will be in the future (just 1 more year on the import ban on those).

Big shout out to Lee ( @lelandEOD )for tagging along on a 1500mi journey and helping me out quite a bit along the way. I think he now has the CM bug and may end up there in the future in his soon to be diesel powered 40.

Also many thanks to the terrific trail leaders, committee members, volunteers, and vendors that work together to make a large event like this such a success.

As for semi emergency gas stop, the mighty 1FZFE was driven hard on the way back. Not only pushing a fully loaded 80 series on 37s, but fighting some headwinds, thunderstorms, and mountain passes that seemed worse E-W than W-E. Needless to say, gas mileage was sub 10 and in the sake of limiting fuel stops (and saving precious time), a few calculated risks were taken, though we did always have a full rotopax can onboard. I thought I would have enough fuel to get us from Green River to Delta, but with the above mentioned conditions, MPG for this stretch was even worse than 9mpg. After passing the last gas station in Scipio, we decided to roll the dice and shoot for Delta. Within sight of the Maverick on the west end of town, the cruiser died and I tried to coast the last 1-2 blocks. After pulling over on the side, I attempted one start. Surprisingly, it fired up and allowed us to drive the last few hundred feet to the Maverick. Turning in (and likely splashing the small remaining puddle of fuel away from the pump pickup), it stalled but we were able to coast right into the pump. I'll try not to do that again, though a LHD 1HD-FT powered HDJ80 will be in the future (just 1 more year on the import ban on those).

@BadReligion & @lelandEOD, it was great meeting you guys and having you on the modified Kokopelli's Trail run. You two were a nice addition to the group and your 80 is a beast! I did not get to talk to you much because you did not need any "help."

Congratulations on the baby girl. My youngest daughter led her first trial yesterday and i was a proud dad. Congratulations to you and your family!

Congratulations on the baby girl. What’s her name? Glad it went good!

@BadReligion & @lelandEOD, it was great meeting you guys and having you on the modified Kokopelli's Trail run. You two were a nice addition to the group and your 80 is a beast! I did not get to talk to you much because you did not need any "help."

Congratulations on the baby girl. My youngest daughter led her first trial yesterday and i was a proud dad. Congratulations to you and your family!

Thanks! Great meeting you as well Jeff. We had a ton of fun on the "modified" Kokopelli run. It was also pretty cool to see the 200 series in action on difficult trails. They did VERY well and are making me consider one as a family hauler/adventure vehicle. That has got to be a pretty cool feeling watching your daughter take the lead on a run. Looks like she earned it.

Congratulations on the baby girl. What’s her name? Glad it went good!

Thanks! We named her Naomi. Middle name is TBD so I am open to suggestions. Don't have to sign the birth certificate until tomorrow.

Looks like my starter died after finding a mud puddle in Moab. Stuck in Parachute looking for a 100 series starter and a garage to repalace it in. Any pointers where to start?

Looks like my starter died after finding a mud puddle in Moab. Stuck in Parachute looking for a 100 series starter and a garage to repalace it in. Any pointers where to start?

Did you check contacts? Just in case it just got knocked loose/dirty, and clean it thoroughly while you wait.

Wish I could of gone! Incredible pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom