OEM rack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody got any tips for mounting an OEM Toyota landcruiser roof rack?

image.jpg

Drill some holes, pop in some nutserts.

Most people remove the rack and fill the holes though.

Many people find rust under their OEM racks. The aftermarket gutter mounted racks seem to mitigate the rust issue.

^ One that clamps to the gutters.

cheers,
george.

The Bowfin and Prinsu are low profile and slim. They hug the roof line.

Some people like the solid latches of the Bowfin. Reports say the Bowfin is closer to the roof.

Bowfin is a small company, so people like to support them. Prinsu was bought by a large company.

Both are great racks, but the Bowfin seems to be an improvement of the Prinsu.

Check out this thread...and welcome to MUD by the way. Saw that you just joined us.

This is a good general resource.

Anybody got any tips for mounting an OEM Toyota landcruiser roof rack?

View attachment 2358432
In the trash. LOL

I agree with the others, Bowfin or Prinsu might be the best options, nice low profiles, very versatile. Yakima or Thule for the bar type racks, and you can mount anything you want on them. You can also find used ones pretty easily.

I use simple Thule and Yakima bars. When I need to actually haul stuff I bolt on the aluminum ramp and lash everything down to that. Works great, low profile, light, durable and cheap. The OEM racks are junk, you don’t want to drill into your roof and they can’t hold much even if you did.

1593640651304.jpeg

Oh, and ditch the brush guards and running boards too.

I still think the ARB basket racks are pretty nice. Especially the alloy ones, 60% of the weight and same strength, and it's gutter mounted. I think those factory roof racks are toys - not very strong and not well connected to the (sheet metal) roof.

You have correctly mounted the rack. Job well done!

now that’s funny. Was wishing I could find a pic of one atop a trash can/toter and there it was all along.

Although we all are here in support of your new addictions and are all willing to spend your money I agree with general consensus.

bowfin and front runner are directions I’d look. 2 front runners for sale in NC currently if that’s remotely convenient in some manner.

looks like a roof basket in your pic no? If that’s the case grab a coue Thule/yak crossbars with gutter mounts and have fun.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, don't put holes in the roof for a dealer installed accessory.
Gutter mount rails are the way to go.
I have a pair of crossbars from Sleeoffroad. African Outback brand I believe. Super solid.
Any good gutter mount is the way to go, especially in Minnesota!

I just removed my OEM roofrack. Want a spare, just in case? FOR SALE CHEAP!!!

I recently ordered from Tim at Gamiviti. I had some clearance issues with being able to fit in a garage. The Gamiviti rack seemed to be the absolute lowest profile rack. Tim is also awesome to deal with. Extremely helpful and also a small business that is great to support. He has lots of customization options as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom