OEM PS on a 66' FJ45 (1 Viewer)

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Vendor
The wife is pretty hard-core about getting PS installed on he 45. I've swore up and down that I won't be doing anything permenent, so while I am a major fan of a clean Saginaw setup, its out. I have an OEM 40 series PS setup I could install, I think by using a Marks Offroad pulley and a custome pump (mabey a Saginaw pump on a head style mount) that I'll only have to permenently modify the steering column. I've got a couple spares of those, I could save the OE one for a future true resto and modify a second one with a firewall plate and a column bearings. Thoughts from those that have done it?

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Interesting timing. I have a work party planned for THIS WEEKEND to finally put Saginaw steering on the lwb45. I should have pics and a writeup next week.;)

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Vendor
You doing a Saginaw steering box too? I've done those on 45's :D I've never done a OE 40 box with a Saginaw pump though. What are you using for a pump mount?

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
You doing a Saginaw steering box too? I've done those on 45's :D I've never done a OE 40 box with a Saginaw pump though. What are you using for a pump mount?

I built my own mount on the passenger side motor mount. I have wrestled with the mounting configuration for several years, and mocked up several other styles and this one was the cleanest. :)

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Vendor
I built my own mount on the passenger side motor mount. I have wrestled with the mounting configuration for several years, and mocked up several other styles and this one was the cleanest. :)

Used your snazzy crank pully I presume?

I think I could make a pump bracket easy enough :cool:

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Kurt, I've been giving this some more thought, and I'm not sure OE is a good idea on a pre-69 truck with the early model center arm. I don't think I've even seen it tried before.

IMO the open channel frame on those early models is barely adequate for the manual steering system, as is the center arm itself. I don't think either would hold up well to a mini or OE pump configuration.

And I especially wouldn't take that chance if it were anyone but me driving. Know what I mean.

We can mull this over the campfire next week.

Mark A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom