OEM 1F Power Steering '73 FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am finishing up adding power steering to my 55. It's a 1973 (10/72) all original. My goal is for it to look OEM. I kept the original air cleaner, left the alternator in it's original location and did not de-smog.

First picture is the engine compartment, less the air cleaner, radiator and shroud.

Second, shows the bolt on the side of the block that will be one of the mounting spots for the pump, the other support will share with the alternator bracket bolt on the water pump.

I had to move the air cleaner about two inches, and clearance the bracket. The one on the right is the original, theone on the left is my prototype. Now that I know everything fits, I will go back and rebuild the OEM one so it looks more stock.
FJ55 power steering001.JPG
FJ55 power steering002.JPG
FJ55 power steering003.JPG

Next is the FJ60 pump with the reservoir removed. I tried the MAF/JToutfitters Saginaw pump and bracket, but it doesn't work with the OEM F air cleaner bracket as it uses the same two head bolts.

I tried a mini truck pump with remote reservoir, the pump's not as big around as the 60 pump, but it is longer and hit the exhaust manifold.

The remote reservoir fitting off the mini-truck pump, is an exact fit for the 60-series pump.

Last is my 'OJA' power steering pump bracket.
FJ55 power steering004.JPG
FJ55 power steering005.JPG
FJ55 power steering006.JPG

Last edited:
Pump mounted on bracket.

Bracket and pump installed.

Pulley lines up with smog pulley, tight tolerance to upper radiator hose.
FJ55 power steering007.JPG
FJ55 power steering008.JPG
FJ55 power steering009.JPG

Original shock tower with the mounting plate relocated for the power-steering gear box. I think the box is a mini-truck box. The guy I bought it from said it was OEM off an FJ40, but the mount that it was bolted to had been 'customized'. It does say Toyota in the cast body and the holes on the gear box line up perfectly with the original manual gear-box mount holes.

I thought I'd have to remove the outer and inner fender, but luckily didn't have to...I'm not ready for body work yet.
FJ55 power steering011.JPG
FJ55 power steering012.JPG
FJ55 power steering014.JPG

Last edited:
The 'new' box with FJ55 steering u-joint.

I had a new high-pressure hose made up with some heat shield as it's close to the exhaust manifold. it has compression fittings so I could adjust the direction of the 90's then snug everything up.

Box mounted to modified shock tower bracket.
FJ55 power steering015.JPG
FJ55 power steering017.JPG
FJ55 power steering018.JPG

I had to remove the oil filter to get the fittings lined up, tightened and ensure that the lines wouldn't interfere with changing the oil filter.

The new high pressure line could be an inch or two shorter.

Steering arm/relay rod installed.
FJ55 power steering020.JPG
FJ55 power steering021.JPG
FJ55 power steering023.JPG

I took my old outer belt in to NAPA with a string that I'd wrapped around all the pulleys and got a new one...since the belt is now going straight across from the smog pump to the new power steering pump I had to take a few threads off the end of the smog pump bracket bolt.

Still working on the 'new' air cleaner bracket.

Remote reservoir and bracket. I'd like to have been able to bolt the reservoir directly to the inner fender, like in the mini-truck it came out of, but it would have ended up being lower than the pump. I also would like to have been able to weld some captive nuts to the inner side of the apron to bolt this bracket to...but that would have entailed removing fenders and I wasn't up for that, so...
FJ55 power steering026.JPG
FJ55 power steering027.JPG
FJ55 power steering030.JPG

Last edited:
I welded the bracket for the reservoir to the inner side of the apron.

Reservoir installed.
FJ55 power steering031.JPG
FJ55 power steering032.JPG

I took it for a spin and wow! First off, once I bled the air out, intstalled the shock and tire, let the pig back down on the ground I was able to turn the wheels back and for on rough, dry concrete with one hand!

I've got 60-series steering in my 45 so I know how much nicer power steering can be...the 45 has 36 swampers on it. My pig has 30" BFG mall-terrains, it feels like an economie car.

My wife took it for a drive and I got a (Borat voice on) "High Five!" (Borat off)

I still need to pull the steering wheel off and straighten it out. And I need to rebuild the aircleaner bracket so it looks better, but that's about it.

I hope this helps someone else out. I searched, but couldn't find a similar approach, everything I found entailed moving the alternator, desmogging or intalling a different air cleaner. This keeps it all 'original' ;)

Dan

Last edited:
Dan, owe you :beer: this has helped me big time:clap:..........was wondering where to place PS on a 69ish piggy and keep it toyota and looking stock; question............are you running disks?:cheers:

Lou

Dan, owe you :beer: this has helped me big time:clap:..........was wondering where to place PS on a 69ish piggy and keep it toyota and looking stock; question............are you running disks?:cheers:

Lou

Not yet, I have a DB front end, along w/ the booster and m/c, w/prop valve all sitting in the garage waiting to be rebuilt and installed...that's next.

VERY good installation, I'm saving this one for reference, if ever I aquire metalworking skills...

I have the same reservations you have/had about moving stuff and keeping it stock, and I just posted a thread about using a 3FE mount on an F engine. If THAT is feasable, then it's a bolt-on solution (to the pump, anyway).

Sweet install! That really came out nice. Now all you need is AC.............

OJA, I love this thread!

When I did 60 series PS on my 40 I wanted to keep it Toyota and keep emissions, so I was fabbing PS pump brackets as well. Your bracket looks great! Will you be making more? Are you tensioning off the air pump? I set mine up to tension at teh PS pump as well, in case my air pump siezed out on the trail...

I am trying to visualize how you are securing the mini-truck remote res fitting to the 60 PS pump body? It looks like the fitting uses a bolt on the top of the pump that our 60 pumps do not possess.

OJA, I love this thread!

When I did 60 series PS on my 40 I wanted to keep it Toyota and keep emissions, so I was fabbing PS pump brackets as well. Your bracket looks great! Will you be making more? Are you tensioning off the air pump? I set mine up to tension at teh PS pump as well, in case my air pump siezed out on the trail...

I am trying to visualize how you are securing the mini-truck remote res fitting to the 60 PS pump body? It looks like the fitting uses a bolt on the top of the pump that our 60 pumps do not possess.

It's not secured...it's a snug fit and I don't think it'll go anywhere. I may drill and tap a small hole to bolt it in, I'd hate to drill into the pump though, I don't know what the cross-section is there but there's probably enough room for 3-4 threads.

Yes, tensioning off the smog pump alone.

Sweet install! That really came out nice. Now all you need is AC.............

Nope. Wing window and a power rear window work just fine.

This thread has me all excited for PS in my Pig!

Plans are to go 3FE, use the 3F PS pump and 60 series box.

The write-up you did on your 40 was an inspiration for this...thanks.

Dan

bracket and mounting

Dan, am going to go this route; have a mounting bracket and mini truck gearbox on the way.....can you please share where you got the pump bracket? and am a bit uncertain of the mounting bolts....TIA;

Lou

I am finishing up adding power steering to my 55. It's a 1973 (10/72) all original. My goal is for it to look OEM. I kept the original air cleaner, left the alternator in it's original location and did not de-smog.

First picture is the engine compartment, less the air cleaner, radiator and shroud.

Second, shows the bolt on the side of the block that will be one of the mounting spots for the pump, the other support will share with the alternator bracket bolt on the water pump.

I had to move the air cleaner about two inches, and clearance the bracket. The one on the right is the original, theone on the left is my prototype. Now that I know everything fits, I will go back and rebuild the OEM one so it looks more stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom