Now Painted!: Paint Prep - Need advice as I go (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Jeff Elliott Nice build! Are those 16x8 -25 offset FN five stars on 35's?

Thanks! Yes, in fact they are. Bought them off the classifieds here.

-You’re becoming an enabler of sorts, I think that Cement color over my grey leather would look great if I go “whole hog“ on paint.........

I wanted to paint mine the cement color as well but I have the tan interior... Wife said it would be no bueno.

Impressive you went full ‘hatch off’

It kind of spiraled out of control... Kept seeing paint I didn't think would polish out so I kept pulling parts. Pretty deep now...

The whole thought of rust hiding behind that windshield gasket was going to keep me up at night so I cowboy'ed up and pulled it. The good news is there's not a spec of rust anywhere. The bad news is I now have to get it reinstalled. So, here are the questions...

1) Can this be done with a helper as DIY? I read the FSM and it seems reasonably straight forward but it's not something I want to screw up

2) The sealant used (apparently from the factory) is stuck pretty good to the body - is there a solvent or some other method of removal besides scraping it with a non-marring scraper?

Obligatory pics:

49576719306_f14af43426_h.jpg

49576719311_df77f09af4_h.jpg

49576211258_9091075325_h.jpg

I totally get going black (or Desert Dune for the guys who aren’t fed up seeing that color) - on a tan interior.

I thought you had grey leather as the black & blue colors went from tan in ‘96 to grey in ‘97 (IDK about CE 80’s).

-But yes, I agree 100% to color-match the paint to the interior.

Tan looks better in Desert Dune, grey leather is primetime for either Moonglow or Cement.
— Keeps it cohesive.

Subaru has some interesting colors on their new vehicles. Their is a green color that they have I thought would look incredible on a 80. I think you could install a windshield yourself If u wanted. Use the rope method. Will need someone to apply pressure to the glass as you go. I would do it after paint is done though. Also, tape up your hvac intake ducts to keep as much dust as possible out

Well, now wearing some epoxy primer. With a lot of orange peel I'm going to need to flatten before color and clear. Ran the heck out of it in a couple of places - that should be fun to flatten as well. Starting to see light at the end of the tunnel!

49637180467_c27d997094_h.jpg

49636909196_a15f4917ad_h.jpg

49636382438_c7933054a9_h.jpg

Well, now wearing some epoxy primer. With a lot of orange peel I'm going to need to flatten before color and clear. Ran the heck out of it in a couple of places - that should be fun to flatten as well. Starting to see light at the end of the tunnel!

49637180467_c27d997094_h.jpg

49636909196_a15f4917ad_h.jpg

49636382438_c7933054a9_h.jpg

Good luck with your painting! I just shot color and clear on mine this weekend and am going to cut and buff today. Color laid down fine but had plenty of runs and orange peel on the clear. Makes me appreciate how a good painter can lay down paint so evenly. BTW, the glazing putty trick to sand out sheet runs really works!

G BTW, the glazing putty trick to sand out sheet runs really works!

Thanks! I don't know this trick but suspect I should - can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks! I don't know this trick but suspect I should - can you point me in the right direction?

Search: fixing runs in clear coat , on you tube

I was skeptical, but it worked for me!

Fellas,

Pardon this really dumbass question but if I were to shoot my hood due to the clear pealing, would I really HAVE to feather (or whatever that's called) the paint on top of the front fenders as well? I'm not after perfection by any means and I'm wondering if I'll be annoyed with a subtle difference in color between the hood and the original, aging paint/clear on the fender.

See, I told you it's a dumb question!

Liking where you’re at - I’m jealous, full truth :cool:

-So what made you decide to shoot clear?

I’m a big fan of acrylic enamel in exposed paint / non-metallics for the ease of spot repairs - you’re not shooting metallic paint.

Did you go to water-based paints that require it because petro-based paints are getting cost prohibitive?

Either way, don’t shake your clear can before you mix/reduce & go to the paintgun with it ;)

Fellas,

Pardon this really dumbass question but if I were to shoot my hood due to the clear pealing, would I really HAVE to feather (or whatever that's called) the paint on top of the front fenders as well?

No, if it's only the hood and the top of the fenders are not burned / peeling then you wouldn't have feather it in

-So what made you decide to shoot clear?

Honestly durability - the paint guys all said it was the more durable / fire and forget choice. I may regret it but I've bought the product now!

Well, I do not, I repeat, do not, recommend block sanding epoxy... It just rolls up in little rubber like balls and clogs your paper. That said, I had no choice - the topcoat window is 72 hours and there was no way I was going to make that with all the COVID planning going on at work. Also, I didn't use enough acetone to reduce the epoxy so it laid in more like monster liner vs. flat. So, I've spent the whole weekend wet sanding the whole truck... by hand.... in 400 grit.

Sometime this week the guy from the paint store is going to come over and help me lay down the final coats - two coats of sealer, two coats of color and as many coats of clear as my gallon will cover.

Oldest was home from college so got her involved... Having a 100 lbs daughter comes in handy when sanding the roof. Also built a rick for the hatch, tailgate, etc. - still got a bit more sanding / cleaning to do!

49664281307_24615704f1_h.jpg

49663995666_f91ac92fb9_h.jpg

Well, finished the paint at 1am Saturday morning... except for the hood. Had some trash blow up from the floor into the sealer so had to sand that down and will re-seal, base and clear tonight maybe. I think my bodywork looks pretty good all things considered. Got some orange peel so need to wetsand and buff next. Man is it black though... thinking of painting bumpers, sliders, snorkel a charcoal grey color to break it up... Appreciate any thoughts on the idea.

49690497303_eb28c7a262_h.jpg

49691339827_eff10a86ff_h.jpg

49691339812_a1e404609c_h.jpg

49691030481_d3cc4064f8_h.jpg

49691030536_506a5a4348_h.jpg

I'm not a fan of black, but you did good there! I do like your idea of using grey to contrast the black.

Well, finished the paint at 1am Saturday morning... except for the hood. Had some trash blow up from the floor into the sealer so had to sand that down and will re-seal, base and clear tonight maybe. I think my bodywork looks pretty good all things considered. Got some orange peel so need to wetsand and buff next. Man is it black though... thinking of painting bumpers, sliders, snorkel a charcoal grey color to break it up... Appreciate any thoughts on the idea.

49690497303_eb28c7a262_h.jpg

49691339827_eff10a86ff_h.jpg

49691339812_a1e404609c_h.jpg

49691030481_d3cc4064f8_h.jpg

49691030536_506a5a4348_h.jpg

Damn, that looks really good.

Everything on my cruiser is Black and I have been obsessing about tasteful charcoal accents. Would love to see how it turns out . Great job on the paint !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom