Not mine, but supposed 2016 Land Cruiser Double Cab Pickup for sale... (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has this been posted yet? It's the disclaimer tag on their website:

DISCLAIMER
While Michael J. Papp is the brainchild behind the technological know-how necessary to legalize new Toyota 70 Series vehicles here in the U.S., Michael J. Papp is in NO way associated with LC America or any of LC America’s current efforts. Moreover, LC America does not accept any responsibility for any of the actions taken by Michael J. Papp.

Oh well that must be true, I mean the Papps have been so honest lol. And what would it matter if Mike Papp isn’t involved? It’s still a con.

I heard the new story from a friend who talked to them at OE. Having been in classic cars for over a decade, I was familiar with the kit car law from a few years ago, I had built two Superformance GT40 continuation cars. So as soon as I heard they were telling people they were going to use the LVM law, I knew it wasn’t possible. This should be the last nail in their coffin.

I heard the new story from a friend who talked to them at OE. Having been in classic cars for over a decade, I was familiar with the kit car law from a few years ago, I had built two Superformance GT40 continuation cars. So as soon as I heard they were telling people they were going to use the LVM law, I knew it wasn’t possible. This should be the last nail in their coffin.
Thanks, @SteveJackson I appreciate your experience and spirit in the community. Great updates.

Here is a comp to support @RMP&O (Ian) and his assessment of opportunities.

Here is a Central American HZJ79 you can buy for under US$30,000 - but then what?

How far are you willing to bend or break the rules?

Yes, it is possible to build a legal truck out of old parts (think ICON) and there are plenty of opportunities. You just need to be brave, patient and have a budget.

Regarding LC America, they originally planned to import GCC spec 1HZ powered rigs but switched to VDJ79s - likely due to finish and accessories.

My question - would you want to actually drive a VDJ V8 turbo diesel in USA? Your local Toyota store will not welcome you with open arms for service, repair, etc.

Just sayin - the 1HZ is IMHO the way to go.

:cheers:

upload_2018-5-24_8-20-43.png

@wardharris .... "You just need to be brave, patient and have a HUGE budget" :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corrected it for you.

Haven't checked this thread for a few months....and it didnt disappoint....

Haven't checked this thread for a few months....and it didnt disappoint....

About the only thing that's disappointed is their parents at how they scam others.

@wardharris you are correct. What I am talking is building it though from this part and that part. Lot's of stuff in a build like that can be shipped over here, Toyota parts even. Some is available here already like body take offs from military contract builds. Put it on an 80-chassis, import a legal 25yr old truck and build it on-out of that. There is a number of ways to do it without doing anything illegal.

Expensive!? For sure but that also depends which route you go and which truck you are after. An HDJ78 would be the easiest to build or an HDJ79 or HZJ79. Double cab pickup or 76 would be harder to build and more expensive for sure. Also depends if you got to have the 2007+ interior, buying all that from Toyota is most certainly going to cost an arm and a leg. It is totally doable though and is just all about money.

I would drive the VDJ79 all day and every day! Working on it could certainly be a pain or difficult. For that the 1HZ is way better for sure. I personally think the 1HDT variants are the best to go with engine wise.

Cheers

and take into account AUD (1) vs USD (0.75) right now

I was at OE on Saturday, and hung out for awhile.

Per what I was told, the LC on display is a 2016, but LC America will be importing 2018 models from Dubai. The 2018 models are easier to import apparently due to changes (that I can't find online...). However, the person I was talking to said another year, but he was the youngest of the folks wearing the LC America shirt, and felt like he was just there to help at the booth. So no new information really, but it was nice to at least see the land cruiser in person and check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom