Not mine, but supposed 2016 Land Cruiser Double Cab Pickup for sale... (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

18 pages ..... Perhaps it's time for Elvis to leave the building. :)
At least Elvis was real and could sing. Not his fault that deluded fans keep seeing him....perhaps if there weren't so many faux versions running around, people might not get confused....

I'll just leave it there, but I do like this image - kinda looks like a Fake Elvis mug shot.

upload_2017-2-17_7-53-56.png

Well John Papp seems to be a lawyer... very good a deflecting, dodging answers to questions, etc.

I think he's gotten the idea of early deposits/buyers would bankroll and fund his uphill endeavor. Just like a Kickstarter campaign can get donations and cash... and yet fail without serious consequences.. I believe Papp is trying to create a situation that is similar. Other people's money and risk ala Donald Trump

The Expedition Portal thread/read is pretty funny. Papp is quite the slippery one.

I actually called him up the other day, seemed like a nice guy? I told him there's a lot of speculation as to the legitimacy of this... He assured me the trucks are to arrive end March and we will be seeing pictures on top of Pikes Peak... I'll believe when I see it.

I actually called him up the other day, seemed like a nice guy? I told him there's a lot of speculation as to the legitimacy of this... He assured me the trucks are to arrive end March and we will be seeing pictures on top of Pikes Peak... I'll believe when I see it.

Well John Papp seems to be a lawyer... very good a deflecting, dodging answers to questions, etc.

Hi Ralf - Welcome to MUDville, I hope you have a great time as part of this community. It is a great place to learn, make friends and do business. Like any good community, club or church, all are welcome here. I cannot speak for others, but in spite of my skepticism and sarcastic comments, I wish the promoter good luck and success - if his offer is not a scam.

As you have noted in your MUD posts from Ontario, it is easy to import a non-compliant Land Cruiser to Canada or US. There are a number of exemptions for short (up to a year) and long term/permanent importation for owners in uses such as: mining, military, armored conversions, expedition travelers, museum exhibits, foreign consular officials/military staff and others. Some of those have found their way into private hands of new owners, registered in this country for road use. Not easy and in some cases, not legal, but "it can be done."

Anyone can import a new HZJ79 and take a picture of it..... as long as the vehicle is then "deported" subject to its import documentation (usually one year, maximum). Evidently, the offering firm has not done that yet, is working on it. The hard part is everything else - approval for import and sale of modified vehicles in North America.

The promoter has stated that the firm has the ability to apply proprietary technology to the vehicle to comply with US emission standards and also satisfy crash standards. Great, good luck.

Here's the rub - the promoters have tried to raise money through deposits/reservations, angel investors, Go Fund Me page, etc. Basically, asking folks to trust him/them. Sales are supposed to start with SEMA in fourth quarter of 2017, so IF those deposits are made in unrestricted accounts, and IF the promoters do not deliver after a year or two of promotion - how do they get their money back? All of it, some, none?

If a member of this community made this pitch - a Land Cruiser business owner (Toyota dealer, Land Cruiser shop owner, Land Cruiser importer) or even a recognized Land Cruiser owner there would be a level of credibility through shared history, expertise and track record. It seems funny that the promoter(s) seem not to have made those introductory connections to build credibility.

Not saying that the promoters are crooked or incompetent - but observing that if any experienced business person were to enter a new market, it seems likely that they would reach out to existing members of the community that best know the product and how it is used here. The L79 America promoters seem not to have any personal or professional connections in the Land Cruiser enthusiast community.

Let me repeat - a) Welcome, Ralf! and b) I wish the promoter good luck and success - if his offer is not a scam.

:cheers:

Last edited:
I just found this article:

U.S. Military Will Test Toyota Land Cruiser, Hilux And Ford Ranger As War Vehicles
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/u-s-military-will-test-toyota-land-cruiser-hilux-and-1784059421

"
The U.S. Special Operations Command (SOCOM) has placed an order for militarized Toyota Land Cruisers, Hiluxes and Ford Rangers to use as low-profile but battle-survivable field vehicles. That’s provided the prototypes pass muster in military evaluations, of course.

Defense contractor Battelle of Columbus, Ohio has been awarded up to $170 million to build “as many as 556 vehicles—396 armored and 160 unarmored—with most of them consisting of the Toyota Land Cruiser models 76 and 79,” Military Aerospace reports."

I wonder if there's some distant connection here....

I just found this article:

U.S. Military Will Test Toyota Land Cruiser, Hilux And Ford Ranger As War Vehicles
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/u-s-military-will-test-toyota-land-cruiser-hilux-and-1784059421

"
The U.S. Special Operations Command (SOCOM) has placed an order for militarized Toyota Land Cruisers, Hiluxes and Ford Rangers to use as low-profile but battle-survivable field vehicles. That’s provided the prototypes pass muster in military evaluations, of course.

Defense contractor Battelle of Columbus, Ohio has been awarded up to $170 million to build “as many as 556 vehicles—396 armored and 160 unarmored—with most of them consisting of the Toyota Land Cruiser models 76 and 79,” Military Aerospace reports."

I wonder if there's some distant connection here....

They been using them for a lonnnnnnng time

79 Series as far as the eyes can see.

And most of them will be destroyed.

To quote Conrad: "the horror."
The importer.....?

upload_2017-3-25_10-18-2.png

I saw two JDM cruiser trucks in the Land Cruiser Museum in a Salt Lake City, 2015 or 2016s, they won't be legal to drive in USA until 2045. 25 years. They are being stored by the owner, les than 100 miles on both of them.

“You know I hate, detest, and can't bear a lie, not because I am straighter than the rest of us, but simply because it appals me. There is a taint of death, a flavour of mortality in lies - which is exactly what I hate and detest in the world - what I want to forget.”
-- HoD, Conrad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom