So after a week of cruiser spotting in New Zealand, I came home, adjusted the clutch pedal again, changed the oil and filter and replaced the thermostat gasket. Randomly turned some screws on the carb and it seems to be running pretty well.
Today the truck was loaded up and sent to the mechanic. Hopefully he can look at it before Friday and it doesn't need anything major for a roadworthy certificate and I can have it on the road over the Christmas break.
I think he'll pull it up on the handbrake ( hopefully just needs adjusting), and the windscreen wiper switch seems to be playing up. Wipers and washer work when they have power, so I'm confident its just the switch and I might have a spare.
Spoke to Mark on Friday, he's had it up on the hoist and apart from a seized/sticking front right wheel cylinder, he said he'd pass it. He's sprayed it with CRC and I'm hoping it will free it up, but failing that, wheel cylinders are easy enough to get hold of. I couldn't get the adjuster to turn when I was adjusting the breaks, so its not shock to me.
So if it passes the roadworthy this week, hopefully I can get to the transport department and get plates for it next Wednesday when we finish up for the year.
Brake cylinder freed up and I now have decent brakes.
Idle needle/jet had gummed up from fuel sitting in it which meant it wouldn't idle. has been fixed and it now idles.
The mechanic is going to give it a road worthy so I can go and get it registered, insured and put license plates on it. But once the 45 has the plates on it, he's going to rip up the RWC so I can't sell it. He wouldn't normally do this but said this is a special case because its a Landcruiser.
However it still doesn't have brake lights ( indicators & reverse are fine), the wiper switch doesn't work ( I tested the wipers, they work when they have power), and the seatbelts are still iffy (hinky).
So this morning I'm going to head over to the 45 and replace the brake switch, wiper switch and am thinking about biting the bullet and putting in 3 new seatbelts. Hopefully its something as simple as the brake switch and not the assembly as the newer ones don't fit the styleside.
So, post script.
New brake light switch = working brake lights, later model wiper switch was a no go, so new one ordered, number plate light I bought doesn't seem to work even with direct power from battery, so I think its a dud, and centre belt fitted.
This should go some way to appeasing the mechanic as his bug bears were seatbelts and lights. But I'll talk to him Tuesday and it might have changed!
( If you look through the trees, you can see a '63 model!)
So one of the things the mechanic said it needed was a new water pump. At idle its clearly got a lot of play in it. I had thought this was from age, but looking at the metal fan today I noticed that it has a weld around the circumference, which has thrown the balance out and destroyed the water pump.
Water pump is easy to replace, but what is the best alternative for a non viscous fan on an F engine? A quick search gave me fan # 16361-60090, which is a six blade plastic fan. Another quick search of what is readily available locally is an eight blade plastic fan. The eight blade one seems to be for European models. My concern is that the European spec one may not move enough air to keep things cool enough in the ambient temp of sunny Queensland.
Apart from that and flat spot in acceleration, it drives ok for a 40 something year old farm truck.
Sneak I got a water pump you can have. Bought it for me first F, then chucked it on the second, and well we know how much water that's pumping these days. Throw up a pic of your engine mate, and I'll see if I can recall what else I have that you can have.