Newby to 40s... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok bought this 1978 FJ40 a few days ago. 2F engine. 36 k on the clock but who knows. Was found in the bush by a cruiser fan bush pilot. totally bocy armoured and Runs good when it starts. Have a few Qs...
- where can I get tail lights or are there aftermarket LED sets anyone is using
- is it common to pump like hell with the choke out to get enough gas in it to start?
- is there a carb kit for these?
- I need side mirrors too
- power steering is loose/non-responsive what to do?
Thanks for any help.
B67F75EA-1B2F-4BA4-A135-0329A4345642.jpeg

Tail lights are available new from Toyota for a reasonable price, carb kits are offered by several manufacturers, and possibly from Toyota also. Mirrors of all sorts are available new aftermarket and OEM.

Bezel is upside down, and those rear flares have GOT to go!!!

Tail lights are available new from Toyota for a reasonable price, carb kits are offered by several manufacturers, and possibly from Toyota also. Mirrors of all sorts are available new aftermarket and OEM.

Bezel is upside down, and those rear flares have GOT to go!!!
Ok good to know.
The headlight bezel is upside down?
Rear flares form solid bush sliders. There is also a welded in 3" lift. PO was a welder LOL. Personally I'm OK with it as I intend it to be a Rocky Mountain Trail Truck.
Thanks

There are heaps of options for tail lights. From cheap Chinese, to LED to OEM. If you want reliable probably go LED. If you want it period correct and reliable go OEM but be prepared to pay for it. If you don't really care and just want it road legal and will potentially smash them 4x4ing then go Chinese.

Mirrors are pretty much the same. The Chinese ones are super cheap and super s***. OEM cost a fortune and the driver's side arm is pretty hard to find brand new. But they are heaps better. Your rig doesn't look very original so you could also just bolt any old mirror on.

Power steering I would probably start with the basics and replace all your tie rod ends and replace the power steering fluid. If its still no good then start investigating whether it's the pump or the box that's no good.

I have no idea on carbs as I run a diesel.
Looks like a fun 40! Perfect for taking it out bush and using it for what it was intended for without getting too caught up in putting a ding or damaging it.

Pumping (the accelerator peddle I assume) is common but not necessarily normal. What carburetor do you have? Pics of engine please.
A well tuned 2F (like mine) usually takes full choke and 2 pumps to start when temps are above freezing, more pumps when below.

Pumping (the accelerator peddle I assume) is common but not necessarily normal. What carburetor do you have? Pics of engine please.
A well tuned 2F (like mine) usually takes full choke and 2 pumps to start when temps are above freezing, more pumps when below.
My 2F takes no choke and no pumps when temps are above about 40 *F. If the truck is cold it fires up on the first compression cycle. If the truck has been driven and engine is still hot, pumping the throttle will delay startup as my float bowl drains into intake and causes a rich condition. SO I guess in my case, no pumps ever is normal.

Last edited:
I just went out and tried to start mine with no choke and no pumps. It's 80*F here now. Engine caught a little on first crank, but died. Tried again with one smooth press of accelerator while cranking and it started nicely but still wanted choke to warm up.
Perhaps we could agree that each LandCruiser is different and has it's own preferences to start, but pumping like heck is probably not normal and should be fixed?

What do you mean rear tail lights? Do you mean the bulb? The front plastic piece? The whole assembly? I just got my rear bulbs from autozone and they work great.

Curious what a “ 3” welded lift” looks like. The front shackles look suspicious to me.

May we have more pictures please?

What do you mean rear tail lights? Do you mean the bulb? The front plastic piece? The whole assembly? I just got my rear bulbs from autozone and they work great.
heres some photos... are these OEM?
IMG_9827.JPG
IMG_9828.JPG

There are heaps of options for tail lights. From cheap Chinese, to LED to OEM. If you want reliable probably go LED. If you want it period correct and reliable go OEM but be prepared to pay for it. If you don't really care and just want it road legal and will potentially smash them 4x4ing then go Chinese.

Mirrors are pretty much the same. The Chinese ones are super cheap and super s***. OEM cost a fortune and the driver's side arm is pretty hard to find brand new. But they are heaps better. Your rig doesn't look very original so you could also just bolt any old mirror on.

Power steering I would probably start with the basics and replace all your tie rod ends and replace the power steering fluid. If its still no good then start investigating whether it's the pump or the box that's no good.

I have no idea on carbs as I run a diesel.
Looks like a fun 40! Perfect for taking it out bush and using it for what it was intended for without getting too caught up in putting a ding or damaging it.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah it's heaps of fun to drive.

With those tires and all that expanding foam, you could cross any body of water without fear of sinking. The taillamps are original, at least what's left of them.

OEM or OEM clone. OEM are best, but, consider modifying whatever you install for an independent ground wire. Don't forget the rock shields for the wheel well side, Cool Cruisers of Texas has them.

You have factory power steering?

To me, the front bumper is more offending than the bezel orientation.

No pumping to get it started here. I'd ensure that timing, dwell, and spark quality is good before I checked valves out, and then worked on the intake side of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom