New windshield price? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few months ago I had a small pinpoint crack in the front windshield many months ago from a rock flying into the windshield. I tried to get it repaired, but due to Covid concerns and lack of staff with my favorite rock repair guy, I couldn't get an appointment. I let it ago due to busy work schedule.

Today while coming back from a trip at a snow lodge, temperature was consistently in the teens/20s, and there was freezing rain last night. Entire truck (2009 LX) was covered in ice. While driving back home, the front windshield suddenly developed a very long horizontal crack from left to right (literally from passenger vent to the driver's vent) with the aforementioned rock chip crack right in the middle. I'm guessing the windshield is toast?

How much can I expect to pay for a new front windshield, part and labor? Me thinks there may be a glass shortage due to Covid.

Have you called the local auto glass places?
I just called and replaced the windshield on other vehicle.
The price went up about 25-30% compare to the last year... then again, everything went up in price.

Insurance?

And, IMHO, the 3 most important things about 200 series windshield replacement are:

Find a really good installer

I.e., ask your local dealer who does their glass replacement. I did that years ago and found a guy who does most of the high-end sporty cars in the area. Even better, his shop is ~ 2 miles from me.

Have you called the local auto glass places?
I just called and replaced the windshield on other vehicle.
The price went up about 25-30% compare to the last year... then again, everything went up in price.
I called 2 auto glass shops and they were closed; it's New Years eve so I don't blame them.

I'll call some more shops next week; I was hoping to get a ball bark of what I may be looking at, especially those who are in the Seattle area.

Price out OEM vs pilkington, which is the primary aftermarket supplier. The OE panel is built to a higher standard.

But like @Sandroad said, installer installer installer. By far the most important factor.

Avoid Safelite , they have no idea what to do with the LC. One key to ask any installer if they put spacers in to raise the glass so it's tight against the seal? This is how it's done at the factory. If it's not done there will be gaps and wind noise that will drive you crazy. Also, be sure all the electronics associated with the windshield are connected and calibrated so they work properly? I'm waiting for my glass to crack again so I can get all these issues resolved with a proper installation.

A few months ago I had a small pinpoint crack in the front windshield many months ago from a rock flying into the windshield. I tried to get it repaired, but due to Covid concerns and lack of staff with my favorite rock repair guy, I couldn't get an appointment. I let it ago due to busy work schedule.

Today while coming back from a trip at a snow lodge, temperature was consistently in the teens/20s, and there was freezing rain last night. Entire truck (2009 LX) was covered in ice. While driving back home, the front windshield suddenly developed a very long horizontal crack from left to right (literally from passenger vent to the driver's vent) with the aforementioned rock chip crack right in the middle. I'm guessing the windshield is toast?

How much can I expect to pay for a new front windshield, part and labor? Me thinks there may be a glass shortage due to Covid.
I feel for ya. I found a local rock chip guy who usually is out in the same day. I got a LX450 in April, windshield had a Toyota logo, so, I had him do 9 repairs (a new world record). My '19 LC had one too. Getting 'em quick as you can. Saves $$$ later.

Just had one replaced by glass America. One of the biggest headaches I’ve ever dealt with. Guy came out to replace it at my house. Then I got it recalibrated at the dealer (3 hour process). After he left, I went to check it and the trim pieces were sticking up on the top and sides. He tried to glue them back on. So I called and he came back out and replaced the trim pieces. Go to start the vehicle the next day and it lights up like a Christmas tree. Take it back to the dealer. Apparently he didn’t plug the wire in all the way behind the rear view mirror. So then it needed to be recalibrated by the dealer.

Fortunately glass America paid for everything but I wasted a bunch of time dealing with it. Would NOT recommend.

Factory glass.

33DDE524-7D32-4580-B05C-72C88BEBA5CB.jpeg

A factory panel for mine was $877 retail but I paid about $530 at a discount site, but it helps that they are in town and I could pick it up will-call. Plus about $200 in other small parts.

Then found a good local installer.. anyone around Austin needs to call Noah at calibrated glass. I was extremely impressed.

Yeah paid about $1700 for Lexus glass.

Made in Japan by AGC as expected.

Break down for OEM Toyota glass on mine a few months back. I paid my $100 deductible for all of it and I always demand OEM glass.

Total bill for the OEM windshield replacement is as follows:

• Windshield (OEM#56101-6A957)-$991.17
  • Moulding (#75531-60080)-$25.80
  • Moulding (#75533-60082)-$114.19
  • Moulding (#75534-60072)-$114.19
  • Eurathane ($10/unit x 2)-$20
  • Lane Departure Assist Recalibration-$150
  • Labor-$250
Subtotal-$1665.35
Tax @ 8.25%-$104.39
Total-$1,769.74

The work is to be done at a Lexus dealer and the recalibration at the Toyota dealer next door. Normal recalibration fee according to book rate is $450 at the Lexus dealer, the Toyota dealer is doing it for $150. I have a total of $100 out of pocket after insurance, I can live with that so long as everything looks as it did prior to the incident.

Break down for OEM Toyota glass on mine a few months back. I paid my $100 deductible for all of it and I always demand OEM glass.

Total bill for the OEM windshield replacement is as follows:

• Windshield (OEM#56101-6A957)-$991.17
  • Moulding (#75531-60080)-$25.80
  • Moulding (#75533-60082)-$114.19
  • Moulding (#75534-60072)-$114.19
  • Eurathane ($10/unit x 2)-$20
  • Lane Departure Assist Recalibration-$150
  • Labor-$250
Subtotal-$1665.35
Tax @ 8.25%-$104.39
Total-$1,769.74

The work is to be done at a Lexus dealer and the recalibration at the Toyota dealer next door. Normal recalibration fee according to book rate is $450 at the Lexus dealer, the Toyota dealer is doing it for $150. I have a total of $100 out of pocket after insurance, I can live with that so long as everything looks as it did prior to the incident.
Was this in Austin? If so Noah or one of his guys probably did the install.

Calibrated being who both lexus of Austin and Berli’s use is how I heard about them.

Was this in Austin? If so Noah or one of his guys probably did the install.

Calibrated being who both lexus of Austin and Berli’s use is how I heard about them.

No this was in Houston. I've had the same shop do windshields on the GX and some previous 4Runners as well.

Wow, that seems expensive, but maybe the difference is yours has the built in heater/rain sensor? Even so, you can find them with all that for sub 600 bucks from Toyota (Glass - Windshield for 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser | Oxford Toyota - https://parts.oxfordtoyota.com/v-2008-toyota-land-cruiser--base--5-7l-v8-gas/body--glass-windshield) I had the front glass and sunroof done at the local dealer after LCDC due to a small rock slide incident. The numbers on the right are labor hours, but still much cheaper. The part number "FW02907GGN" is the old discontinued number apparently, but if you search with that number it still comes up (new number

56101-6A970)​

Screenshot 2022-01-03 054518.png

Last edited:
I could have gone with third party glass and paid roughly $650 for the windshield but why should I settle for second best when insurance is picking up the tab?

Yeah, I have no problem charging insurance full price if they are picking up the tab (which seems to also be the thought of your dealer as well). Interesting that the 2018-2021 have a different part number, but it looks to come with a sensor of sorts at the top (#8 pictured in the diagram). I assume an antenna or radar cruise thingy?

Screenshot 2022-01-03 113041.png

I imagine the adaptive cruise and/or lane departure safety systems are different on the newer ones but who knows!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom