New to the world of Land Cruisers with my 1975 FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased this from some friends whose son parked it when he went to college and never looked back. I'm looking to turn it into my hunting and camping rig so as not to tear up my daily driver and give me a great post-divorce project. I had a 1985 Jeep CJ-7 back in high school/college but, I quickly learned that a daily driver that is also a project does not bode well for my transportation needs. With my old Jeep I did lots of fabrication on it and cut my teeth, so to speak, in the off-roading world. Now that I live in Wyoming, an off-roading honey hole, I wanted something unique and capable, which brings me to the point I am at now. Here are a few pictures of my new FJ55, along with a list of my plans for it.

Mechanical
  1. Go through the engine to make sure it runs
    1. Replace gaskets
    2. Rebuild carburetor
    3. Drain and refill the oil
    4. Drain and refill the coolant system with Evan’s Coolant
    5. Drain/flush the fuel tank ~ replace if necessary
    6. Flush or replace fuel lines
  2. Go through brake system ~ replace any necessary components
    1. Brake lines
    2. Wheel cylinders
    3. Install Tacoma conversion kit for the front brakes
    4. Calipers
    5. Brake pads/shoes
  3. Dual batteries installed in the engine compartment with custom mount
  4. New U-joints for both drive shafts (2 u-joints per drive shaft).
Body/frame
  1. Patch any rust ~ front fenders, rear fenders, rear corners, rear valance, rear door sills
  2. Reinforce the vehicle frame where necessary (crossmembers, boxing, etc…)
  3. Primer and paint the body (red/white or grey/white with black accessories)
  4. Use a rust encapsulator on the inside/underside of the vehicle body wherever surface rust is present
  5. Undercoat the entire body
  6. install a truck bed liner coating on the floor
Suspension
  1. 3 inch suspension lift via spring-over-axle
  1. New spring perches on both axles
  2. New polyurethane bushings
  3. Longer shackles
  4. Shackle reversal for the front/rear axle as needed
  5. New shocks with boots on all four corners
  1. Sway bar disconnects with longer links
  2. Polyurethane body mount kit with bolts and washers
  3. 33-35 inch M&S tires with 15-17 inch steel rims
  4. DIY bead-lock kits for all five wheels
  5. Install Detroit lockers front and rear
Safety/Interior
  1. Front bucket seats
  2. Install ammo-can center consol
  3. New seat covers for the rear bench seat
  4. Rear seat harnesses (4-point harnesses)
Accessories
  1. CB radio move and reinstall with antenna
  2. Build roof rack with mesh bottom (use existing rack mounts but paint to match)
  1. Include mount for auxiliary lights
  2. Include mount for shovel
  3. Include mount for axe
  4. Include mount for Hi-Lift jack
  1. Auxiliary lighting
  2. Rifle rack in cargo area (lockable with four rifle locations)
  3. Install stereo
  4. Ammo-can storage for parts and recovery equipment
Body Protection
  1. Build rear corner body protection
  2. Custom center section skid plate and crossmember
  3. Build custom front winch bumper with stinger, shackle mounts for D-rings, and grill guard
  4. Build custom rear bumper
  1. Swing-out tire carrier
  2. Jerry can for gas
  3. Jerry can for water
  4. Shackle mounts for D-rings
  1. Rock rails/rocker guards (rear of the front fender wheel well to the front of the rear wheel well).
  2. Install 10,000 lb winch with in-dash controls

IMG_3021.JPG

IMG_3023.JPG

IMG_3024.JPG

IMG_3031.JPG

IMG_3030.JPG

Youngsters! They never know what they got.

Some good modes - front disk breakes (fj60 or 62) and power steering (scout II or fj60).

Enjoy the ride! Fun stuff! I have a 1975 as well and bought it in Jackson Hole. Funny

Welcome to the group. I hope you have been reading some of the builds going on or look through them sometime. There's a lot of good information here. You have a full long list of mods., should keep your mind on the right stuff for quite some time and you'll be tired enough to actually get to sleep.

Good luck with it and look forward to seeing your progress.

Welcome to the show. Another lucky pig gets a make over. Quite the list you've got going. You'll have all the immoral support you need right here. Hope you plan to jump on it and be ready for the 2017 Pig Party

:cheers:

Youngsters! They never know what they got.

Some good modes - front disk breakes (fj60 or 62) and power steering (scout II or fj60).

Enjoy the ride! Fun stuff! I have a 1975 as well and bought it in Jackson Hole. Funny
Thank you for the tech suggestions! I'll look into them

Welcome to the group. I hope you have been reading some of the builds going on or look through them sometime. There's a lot of good information here. You have a full long list of mods., should keep your mind on the right stuff for quite some time and you'll be tired enough to actually get to sleep.

Good luck with it and look forward to seeing your progress.
I've been stalking the site for a while before making the decision to buy the FJ. I just recently got heat in my garage so I am really looking forward to tearing into the old gal! Thank you for the welcoming words!

Welcome to the show. Another lucky pig gets a make over. Quite the list you've got going. You'll have all the immoral support you need right here. Hope you plan to jump on it and be ready for the 2017 Pig Party

:cheers:
Thank you for the words of encouragement and welcoming. I'm really excited to get into it all.

Good luck with a 3" lift with a spring over. FWIW, the axle tube is 3" and change. I think I've pulled off one of the lowest spring overs and it cost a LOT of coin: springs sliders instead of shackles, 99 Tahoe rear springs(54"), etc. It fits 35" tires nicely.

I wouldn't waste money on shackle reversals. If you have steering issues, replace steering parts, bushings, and shocks then re-evaluate.

I wouldn't use shock boots ever. Dirt trappers.

I wouldn't waste money on Taco brakes... just get standard FJ60/62 or mini-truck parts.

I didn't see steering but as above, Scout or FJ62 are THE way to go. Unless you are spending a LOT of time/effort to get sanitary front cross member, standard Saginaw looks like crap and compromises a cross member.

I wouldn't worry about sway bar disconnects.

With the above said, here is my favorite picture showing no sway bar disconnects, custom low SOA, and 35" tires on 17" rims:
flex-jpg.784805

Granted, Dana 60 axles
Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions!

BTW, if it is drivable, I'd recommend driving it a bit and figure out what it does that you don't like. Then fix/upgrade as needed.
It has been sitting since 2001 so I will need to take care of getting it running again first but, then I do plan to drive it for a bit and use it for hunting this upcoming season. Once winter fully sets in here, I'll bring it into the garage and start with a lot of the rust repair.

[QUOTE="xtiaan2000, post: 10830499,
I have a 1975 as well and bought it in Jackson Hole. Funny[/QUOTE]

I too have a 1975 pig that was originally purchased in Wyoming ( not by me though).

I created a similar list in my head when I bought my pig years ago, and every once in a while I get to check something off of that list.

Good luck with your project!

So, I finally was able to get my 55 home. Now is the time for me to really assess how it looks and what needs to be done. I have secured two front floor plans from bobm but, I also need to fix a lot of other rust. For now, here are a few pictures.

IMG_4164.JPG

IMG_4165.JPG

IMG_4166.JPG

IMG_4167.JPG

IMG_4168.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom