New to the LC world and need help... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking of buying my first Land cruiser. The price and high mileage has always scared me away but thinking of making the jump.

I'm looking at a 2004, one owner, 108k mileage LC for $25k...

The dealer claims all these updates have happened in the past 1k miles.

"Everything listed below has been done in the last 1000 miles,Brand New Iron Man Performance 2 lift with foam cell pro shocks.Brand New TJM T17 bumper.Brand New Falken Wildpeak AW3 tires in 275/70/18Brand New AISIN timing belt kit including pulleys, ilder, and water pump.OEM Genuine Toyota Clear turn signals from Dubai.USA Spec BT-45TOY Bluetooth module.Infiniti Reference component speakers.Rewrapped steering wheel in leather by craft customs in Rockwall TX.Full Paint Correction done by DJ's mobile detailing.New Hood and tailgate struts.Factory side steps have been removed but are available."

Couple questions
Is this a good deal?
Are those upgrades decent?
Should a LC have a lift kit?

I need help... Should I buy this LC. It appears super clean and we'l maintained. My guy says yes but I'm no expert and new to this world.

I want a LC so bad...

Thanks for the help!

I don't know what 04's go for but I'd say there are less expensive options, and any car is going to have suprised, $25k is a lot regardless of miles.

i wouldn't spend more then 15-20k on a hundo

and the best value is at 10-15k

both will need pretty much same type of baseline unless you get one just out of its timing belt change and 120k service where all fluids were replaced.

The mileage is really low, but my opinion is that $25k is steep for a 2005. It's nice that the timing belt is done, but had you planned to add a 2" lift, TJM bumper, and 33" tires? If yes, then maybe the price is justified. If not, you're paying a premium for mods that may not be your cup of tea.

Also, if your seriously considering this truck, get photos of the underside. It better be totally rust free for that price. Another thing, run the VIN through the Toyota Owners site (you'll have to create an account), doing that will give you access to all records for service done at a Toyota or Lexus store. That may help you with your decision.

Yeah 25k is high. If your can go that much.. just put in around $8k more or so and get a 200 series LC or LX. They can be had for around $32-37k for the same mileage.

Paid 16.5k for a 04LC with 145k couple of years ago. It's a Texas, one owner, zero rust very well maintained. may be i over paid but there were not many LCs to compare.

So take time, inspect well, bargain for all the flows that you can find. There are not many buyers for that price and 100k or 200k mileage doesn't affect much if your planning on keeping it long term. Condition and maintenance history are what matters.

I paid 13k for 00, 168k, came with a lot of what I wanted, lift, drawers, rtt, great roof rack, 33's. I paid what I felt like was a premium for a car I believed was well maintained. Not to say it wasn't but when I found RTV in the front bearing I realized you will never be able to fully inpect a vehicle, so $25k is too much. Where are you located, California?

Yeah 25k is high. If your can go that much.. just put in around $8k more or so and get a 200 series LC or LX. They can be had for around $32-37k for the same mileage.

There are a couple clean 2011 LX570 around my area with less than 100K miles going for 27-28K. They're really closing the gap on low mileage 100 series.

What @aging fleet said. That's a lot of $$ for an '04 even with comparably low mileage. Since you live in TX, finding a rust free rig should not be the exception to the rule like it is up here in New England. Another forum member recently bought an '07 LC with 63K miles on it in TX and he probably didn't pay much more than the asking price of this '04. Keep looking.

I paid 13k for 00, 168k, came with a lot of what I wanted, lift, drawers, rtt, great roof rack, 33's. I paid what I felt like was a premium for a car I believed was well maintained. Not to say it wasn't but when I found RTV in the front bearing I realized you will never be able to fully inpect a vehicle, so $25k is too much. Where are you located, California?

Texas

Thank you for the help everyone! I'll keep looking!

There is a 2009 / one owner in TExas / 150K miles for 25k as well. From the sounds of this thread that might be the better deal, albeit, there is no lift kit and other upgrades the older one has.

Here's the listing for the original car I was talking about in this thread: 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser One Owner, TJM Bumper, Ironman Lift, Ti...

If I got them down to around 20K I'd be tempted to purchase. Thoughts on 20k?

That's entirely too much money for an '04. You're paying at least a $7,500 mark-up for what they said was included (I totaled everything, using the lowest common denominator; it would bring you to just over $5,300 to do what they've listed). Factor in dealer fees, registration, etc... You're looking at 200 Series maybe even newer 4Runner money. If I've learned anything from buying/selling cars, it's that mods don't and never will add value. Hell, even maintenance barely does. Dealerships don't seem to understand this.

If you aren't in a bind, just hold off. Stick to a budget that works for you, play out the market, see and drive the ones you're interested in, and become familiar with them, so that when negotiation time comes, you aren't caught with your pants down at the mercy of some sued car salesman in a cheap tie. If you don't plan on doing mods, or don't NEED them. don't buy a truck with them. Especially if what you're looking for is comfort.

By the way, they couldn't even be bothered to replace the spare with a new AT3W (which I highly recommend).

Edit: I'd also check the Classifieds here on MUD. You'll more than likely find a better cared for rig for the same or even less money. It's what I should have done (on top of many other things that don't matter now) and will do in the future.

I'll echo everyone else, that's too much. JMO, but I wouldn't want to buy a truck that has already been built unless I was very familiar with the previous owner and the work done. Just too many questions for me regarding the quality of the mods.

Secondly, at least for me, half the joy of ownership is the work done and making your truck your own.

Just my 2 cents though.

Sister bought in June a super clean 2007 LX wth $4k maintenance
/repairs done last year with 140k miles that was a one owner no rust LA suv with a wealth of service records that has a 4yr 60k mile gold warranty all for $19k.

I’ll wait as everyone is saying and don’t overpay by $8-10k that’s a lot!!!! Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom