New to the forums! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! I'm new to this forums and did not know where to introduce myself. I am new to toyota land cruisers and do not know very much at all about them.

A couple years back my brother passed away at the age of 30. He left behind a Toyota land cruiser that was passed down to him from his grandfather. Well my uncle had it and did some work to it. My uncle is moving so he is passing it to me as my brother had told him that if anything happened to him to pass it to me.

I am wanting to finish what my uncle started and maybe add a few touches here and there to memorialize my brother.

It seems to be in pretty good condition and to my knowledge nothing serious has been changed out. It has been painted and taken care of for the most part.

Any tips or knowledge on it is greatly appreciated.
20170118_163833.jpg
20170118_163742.jpg
20170118_163422.jpg
20170118_163545.jpg

You've come to the right place for FJ40 info. Take the time to look at the FAQ's and do your searches since there's tons of info here
This forum has some of the best people who are very knowledgeable--BTW Welcome to the site!!

ps I think its great that you're continuing your relatives work and bringing it to life--great tribute!

Another edit--you're going to hear people tell you to flip your bezel which is the grill--commonly turned the wrong way--fat portion up top/skinny down below.--can't wait to see pics once you get it out of the shed!

I'm sorry for the multiple post I am having trouble finding the edit post part. Thanks for the info on the bezel. That is exactly why I joined so that I can learn!

Welcome aboard. Lots of Cruiser experience here, so ask away! No shortage of opinions either;)

All friends here, though. Nice rig.

Oh Swintell you will learn so much here. I was walking around at work and had to come back and mention that I can't emphasize how important it is to make sure you check those fluids before driving. Make damn sure the brakes are working--I see a lot of dirt dobber nests in the engine bay is the reason I mention it. You can even check your VIN # to narrow down your manufacturing date here. Others will surely be along soon to provide much needed info--Congrats again, Dave

Oh Swintell you will learn so much here. I was walking around at work and had to come back and mention that I can't emphasize how important it is to make sure you check those fluids before driving. Make damn sure the brakes are working--I see a lot of dirt dobber nests in the engine bay is the reason I mention it. You can even check your VIN # to narrow down your manufacturing date here. Others will surely be along soon to provide much needed info--Congrats again, Dave
Thanks! I noticed the dobbers aswell. I will have to drain and fill fluids I'm sure. My uncle said he drove it and parked it years ago.bye also said the breaks are out. I don't know specifics though. I think he used it for a little bit of hunting back in the day as he is a huge bow hunting enthusiast.
Welcome aboard. Lots of Cruiser experience here, so ask away! No shortage of opinions either;)

All friends here, though. Nice rig.
Thanks! I'm excited to be here

Welcome and you have a very nice gift from your brother and uncle.The FAQ's are a great place to start. There is no better land cruiser place then here on MUD. There are plenty of experts here to help out. Enjoy the FJ 40.

I think it is a 1974 but I'm not sure yet I haven't had a chance to really get to know it or get the title yet. Hopefully next weekend. I did learn today that the motor is original and it is the 38k original miles shown in the pic

oil filter on pass side of block, most likely an F1/2 it's a good engine. 3 speed plaque on glovebox, must be an early 74. looks in decent shape, get it running, and safe and drive it.

Welcome!! Definitely the best land cruiser forum anywhere. You'll get plenty of help here for sure, I know I have. Later

Welcome to the forum. It is a great place. Very sorry for your the loss of your brother. 30 is too young. It looks like you have a very solid rig. I would suggest reading some build threads, just to see how things are put together. I am not suggesting that you totally restore the rig as it looks pretty nice as is, but they can be great reading. Plus, they are great for getting you motivated. I would also find some factory workshop manuals. One for the engine and one for the body. They are very good reading. Take it system by system. Brakes, engine, electrical, etc. In short time you will be driving it around. Keep posting pictures!

Two, of many, threads I used for reference:

Another 77 FJ40 resto

Tucker and Roma's 75 FJ40 Restore

Nice 40, I especially like the buck on the dash.

Very nice 40!!
You are now in amongst the premiere group of FJ40 folks in the world! No problem will be left unsolved.
uh--need to plug the steering box breather before too much trash gets in there(ha!!)

Very nice ! I will warn you that as you drive it everyone including women will notice you ! Not only a chick magnet but your departed brother has left you a gift that will enrich your life, you will have to wait and see as long as keep it. There are not many good investments in vehicles and alas your brother provided for you. What you reap may just be worth more than the monetary investment of it ! But it looks to me like quite a terrific score! If your not aware that the roof comes off and the windshield folds down, the doors also come off which make for better summer adventures and parading around town !
You have standard steering and if it is greased very very well it will be a pleasure to drive and feel like power assist.
Congrats you are part of the Elite !

Welcome mate, you have joined a world wide community so plenty of blokes happy to help Cheers with the project:clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom