Builds New To Me 83 Long Bed Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y'all!!!

Been a long time. I stumbled upon a little truck very similar to the one I built my crawler out of so of course I had to buy it!! I plan on keeping this truck more street-able than my last one. It's in pretty rough shape so it's going to need a decent amount of work. It did make the hour plus trip back to Atlanta so at least it's decent as far as stopping and going.

1983 SR5 Long Bed 4WD 5-speed 22R
Body is rough, tailgate doesn't open, interior door panels trashed, driver seat kinda rough, windshield cracked, dash is toast
Power steering belt is off and I was told it needs a pump (it's leaking like crazy)
Oil leaks (valve cover, front cover, trans maybe, etc)
Exhaust leak
Shifter bushings gone
Crazy wiring everywhere for sound system stuff, lights, and who knows what else
Motor mounts (or trans mount) broken

So I have some work cut out for me. Plans for the truck once I get all the mechanical issues fixed...

Tires, probably like 33" max
Remove front brush guard and build/buy a bumper
Winch
Lunchbox locker or something for the rear
Good shocks
Low range gear for transfer (maybe)
Camping/cooler/etc set up for the bed
Tie downs for motorcycles
Radio (and fix the train wreck of speakers/wiring)
Propane conversion (did EFI swap on my last one, the propane will be so much better and easier)

And ... ???

I love those old trucks. We’re it me, first thing (or soon) I’d ditch the wrong generation bed and either find a correct bed, or flat deck it. The wheels aren’t doing it any favours either in my eyes. It looks to have a relatively good cab though, so that’s a plus, and I’m assuming you didn’t pay $5,000 for it, so get after it!

Welcome back! I had a 1980 longbed that was turned into a crawler..it was a lot of fun!

Ew2qGL.jpg

Sounds like you've got it all figured out, but the only thing I can say is that I've never been a fan of the propane conversions...I understand the principle and why people do them but just would never do one myself.

I'd say if you’ve already done the EFI conversion on one of these once…do it again! You’ve already got the knowledge and the know how on what to do and how to do it. Things are always easier the second time around.

Not a bad looking truck though, but hey I also thought my crawler was pretty good looking and it was quite homely. Welcome back to the mini-truck realm and look forward to what you do with it!

Appreciate the replies y’all. Thoughts on the propane is more skewed by my experience wheeling my previous truck with the carb’d 20R I suppose. It was miserable and shut off constantly. Just don’t want to get into that boat again.

The bed is wrong and the whole body is fairly rough. Finding a correct intact bed is probably going to be nearly impossible though. So either just deal with it and make it look as good as possible or build a bed. I don’t particularly want a flat bed though.

And no I definitely didn’t pay anywhere close to $5,000 for it. Got it for a steal considering it runs and drives.

Good gawd Sam, what the heck are you thinking????? You, of all people, should know better. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Looks like a good platform for something good to come. Sky is the limit.

Appreciate the replies y’all. Thoughts on the propane is more skewed by my experience wheeling my previous truck with the carb’d 20R I suppose. It was miserable and shut off constantly. Just don’t want to get into that boat again.

The bed is wrong and the whole body is fairly rough. Finding a correct intact bed is probably going to be nearly impossible though. So either just deal with it and make it look as good as possible or build a bed. I don’t particularly want a flat bed though.

And no I definitely didn’t pay anywhere close to $5,000 for it. Got it for a steal considering it runs and drives.

My 1980 had the 22R and it did not shut off at all even if I got it at extreme angles. When I rebuilt the carburetor I dropped the float 6 mm. It did wonders for that truck and it was/still (although not mine) one of the best trucks/off-road rigs I've ever owned.

I figured you paid WAY less than $5k. As for the bed thing, I totally get where you are coming from re flat decks. I just have a total hatred of cross pollination of body styles. At least get a ‘90 + bed so the lines are remotely close! :hillbilly:

I figured you paid WAY less than $5k. As for the bed thing, I totally get where you are coming from re flat decks. I just have a total hatred of cross pollination of body styles. At least get a ‘90 + bed so the lines are remotely close! :hillbilly:

Totally agree! We’ll see what the future holds. Right now just want to get it running good and stem the bleeding (oil leaks) and go from there.

@pappy you know I love an old junker!!!

I love first gens. Really love them. They are just iconic. Hard to justify with 2 kids though. And I hate having a vehicle sit around that I can’t ever drive.

I hope you do this one proud!

Power steering pump, shifter bushings, and new windshield crossed off the list. I also have a new tailgate handle that should work with the wrong year bed. I am still thinking about whether I want to try to find a correct bed or flat bed the truck. I like the idea of being able to actually use the bed if I want to.

I also ordered a cheap lift kit because:

I don't want to pay for tires twice after looking at prices
The springs and shocks are toast (old as dirt obviously)

So, changing direction just a bit. Going to order some 15x10" rock crawler wheels, 35" BFG KM3s, and slap the lift on there. Still a multitude of other things it needs but making some progress at least.

So, changing direction just a bit. Going to order some 15x10" rock crawler wheels, 35" BFG KM3s, and slap the lift on there.

Somewhere I read about 33” tires maximum... Are you going to do gears? I think 33x10.50 is a great size for these trucks.

Power steering pump, shifter bushings, and new windshield crossed off the list. I also have a new tailgate handle that should work with the wrong year bed. I am still thinking about whether I want to try to find a correct bed or flat bed the truck. I like the idea of being able to actually use the bed if I want to.

I also ordered a cheap lift kit because:

I don't want to pay for tires twice after looking at prices
The springs and shocks are toast (old as dirt obviously)

So, changing direction just a bit. Going to order some 15x10" rock crawler wheels, 35" BFG KM3s, and slap the lift on there. Still a multitude of other things it needs but making some progress at least.

Just get the front lift springs for the truck and track down some Chevy 63" springs for the rear. It'll give you some lift and make it have much more flex and be more comfortable on the road. Here's a good link to the "ultimate" swap kit:

Also personally I would stick to 33's and even then I would recommend you invest the $300 into some Longfield axles and rebuild the knuckles and replace the pads and rotors while you're there. Why don't you also go ahead and throw some lockers in...and a winch..oh s*** this is how it gets started 🤣

Also personally I would stick to 33's and even then I would recommend you invest the $300 into some Longfield axles and rebuild the knuckles and replace the pads and rotors while you're there. Why don't you also go ahead and throw some lockers in...and a winch..oh s*** this is how it gets started 🤣

Gotta admit Sam came to the right place if he is looking for ways for people to spend his money. 🤣

Gotta admit Sam came to the right place if he is looking for ways for people to spend his money. 🤣

You gotta let me live vicariously through him and his wallet pappy!! :flipoff2:

And further to the above train of thought:

433FF0E4-8246-4256-BEC1-A8B253F4029A.jpeg

FE52A475-A1E8-43E4-B690-99A9346AC0A0.jpeg

Somewhere I read about 33” tires maximum... Are you going to do gears? I think 33x10.50 is a great size for these trucks.

Well as mentioned I’m quite sure I’ll go way overboard. I never re-geared my last truck because I had dual cases and I didn’t drive it on the road. So I’ll just casually put 35s... then need gears... might as well add lockers... rebuild the knuckles... throw in some RCVs... :deadhorse:

Awesome! I love my 83, currently in the middle of a 3rz swap. Btw I have a lot of good 22r accessories and random parts if you need anything.

I very well might. I know for sure I need some AC parts.

And further to the above train of thought:

View attachment 1904510

View attachment 1904511

That’s really cool!!! Home made or can you actually buy that somewhere?

That’s really cool!!! Home made or can you actually buy that somewhere?

Luckily it has sold, to save you the shipping costs from Tasmania! But there’s hope:

These guys are based in Seattle Wa. Not sure if they do a Toyota sized bed though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom