new source for stock rear 80 springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, I'm an oddball.

I want STOCK replacement springs for my bone stock 80, and here's the impossible: ones that haven't been squashed under a heavy 80 for 20 years. Mine are currently about 1/2" from the bump stops when I take everything out, even the 3rd row seats. While most used 80 springs probably aren't that bad, I'd like to get some that aren't so old.

So, while looking at springs that didn't give much lift and had the closest possible spring rates, I noticed that people are using OME 865 springs on both 80s and 100s, to get what I *think* is similar amounts of lift.

Going by that, could I get a pair of stock 100 series rear springs to replace my worn out fzj80 rears?

Old Man Emu 862 or 2862 which is same.

Whats your center of hub to fender measurement with an empty trunk? I just installed a lift and the rear sat at 21.5" with my stock coils and nothing in the rear. If thats a better height than you currently have, I'll sell you them for a good price.

I'll measure mine in the morning and see what they are.

toyota parts overstock actually has them in stock now so I think I'll go with them: (I've been checking a variety of parts sites every month or so, but they were always out of the rear LH side)

What about using 100 series stock coils? what are the rate of those?

I have my original rear springs that were only under the truck for 12 years, 11 of which where in stock configuration. But then they did get squashed for a little while. PM me if your interested. Otherwise get what ever OME spring is listed for stock height. I don't recall the spring number.

TPO was out of stock sadly :frown:

@WillGentry Mine is at 20 1/4", although that's with the 3rd row in. When you say empty do you mean just the seats or even those taken out?

I think if I took the seats out it would probably go up up to 20 1/2".

Just realized- Any idea on how much shipping it would be from Oklahoma to California? I don't think that'll be cheap.

@GW Nugget that's what I was thinking, But I don't know anyone with a 100 that I could try springs from.

Something I just remembered though: 1990 4runners actually use the 80 REAR springs to get 4-6" of lift in the rear (the later 3rd gen 4runners use 80 front springs for 3-5" of lift in the rear).

Anyone know the spec for a NEW 80 rear spring free height (not in vehicle)? (front too I suppose so I can get numbers for that).

I think I could use 6" lift springs designed for a 4runner which would have the spring rate I want because they are lighter vehicles(160 lbs/in is what I'm looking for- the OME stock height replacements are 220 lbs/in which is why I don't want them)

I figure I'll contact OME and ask them for the free height and spring rate of their 4runner lift springs.

TIA,
nick

Last edited:

@WillGentry Mine is at 20 1/4", although that's with the 3rd row in. When you say empty do you mean just the seats or even those taken out?

Just realized- Any idea on how much shipping it would be from Oklahoma to California? I don't think that'll be cheap.

@GW Nugget that's what I was thinking, But I don't know anyone with a 100 that I could try springs from.

Something I just remembered though: 1990 4runners actually use the 80 REAR springs to get 4-6" of lift in the rear (the later 3rd gen 4runners use 80 front springs for 3-5" of lift in the rear).

Anyone know the spec for a NEW 80 rear spring free height (not in vehicle)? (front too I suppose so I can get numbers for that).

I think I could use 6" lift springs designed for a 4runner which would have the spring rate I want because they are lighter vehicles(160 lbs/in is what I'm looking for- the OME stock height replacements are 220 lbs/in which is why I don't want them)

I figure I'll contact OME and ask them for the free height and spring rate of their 4runner lift springs.

TIA,
nick
The OME 862 is a 170/260 dual rate.
It's a great coil.

TIA,
nick

Empty as in no 3rd row in, just the middle row in.
Yeah it might not be worth shipping if you can get brand new OME coils with free shipping. Looks like 189 online. I can check shipping though if you'd like. I'd be willing to do 75 plus shipping.

I have the King Springs stock height coming in from Australia which was $190 and was pretty close to the stock spring rate.

I'll see how far off stock they are, I know the OME stock heights are about 1.5" above stock and a much stiffer spring rate.
(AFAIK stock height in the rear means 4" above bump stops)

Success! finally got them installed, and they're exactly 4" from the bumpstops. no more bottoming out thanks to that, but it's still a nice ride despite not having any bumbers/winch/heavy stuff in the back.
Now I'm thinking of getting new fronts
IMG_4115[1].JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom