New Piggie build, Big Red Pig or BRP. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i looked a little at your PS thread. Little much for me, not that talented. I can change springs, shocks, oil, etc. But anything to do with fabrication/ welding, figuring things out from scratch, etc. is not my cup of tea. I usually try something, mess it up.. then pay double to have it fixed right. :)

I find people who are smarter/more skilled then me and then ask them a bunch of questions until a) I can do it myself, or b) I know who I trust to do the job w/o buggering it up.

That's funny. I think my wife's wrists would break. Very skinny and wimpy. (don't tell her I wrote that) :)

Are you afraid she will beat you up w/ her puny wrists? :)

I'm thinking that is where I will start. I may even start with stock tirel size. Original spare wheel and tire was still under the truck. Might just paint my new steel wheels to match and match the original tires.

Thank you

You might try running 31" tires w/ no shackle lift and see how you like that for starters... An easy place to start, and should fit very well. A 31x10.5R15 AT might be found gently used, or if you get them new could easily be sold if/when you decide to upgrade.

The only thing that I did other than the shackles was some 3 or 4 degree shims on the front. Without them, it would not track straight. I don't drive it much, but I think it actually drives better after the shims, but with my worn out manual steering box it's kinda hard to tell.

The shackles aren't ideal for lift, but I didn't need much, trying to find lift springs for a 55 isn't the easiest, I put maybe 1000 miles a year on it, and its not wheeled. So they fit the bill.

Looks great to me. I'm in. No problem with the shackles....angles, ride, etc??

Thank you

Unless your springs are really flat, I would really advocate trying the tires w/ no shackle lift and seeing how you do. I think it highly likely you will want/need the shims to correct the caster angle back to something that feels stable. To get the shims in, you will have to un-do the U-bolts, which may (or may not) require cutting them off and getting new ones. At that point you are halfway there with the labor to put in new springs. Just add the labor for shackle bolts and frame mount bolts.

The only thing that I did other than the shackles was some 3 or 4 degree shims on the front. Without them, it would not track straight. I don't drive it much, but I think it actually drives better after the shims, but with my worn out manual steering box it's kinda hard to tell.

The shackles aren't ideal for lift, but I didn't need much, trying to find lift springs for a 55 isn't the easiest, I put maybe 1000 miles a year on it, and its not wheeled. So they fit the bill.

I am not surprised you needed these. I think it is okay to get some shackle lift in the rear, but up front on a vehicle where the shackles are out front I do not think a shackle lift helps the stability of your steering. This is just my opinion. I do not design suspensions for a living.

No doubt the shackles in the front hurt steering/stability. I tried driving it without the shims and it was almost unusable. I added the shims (which was an easy job on my Cruiser, yours may vary) and it is just as good, if not better, than stock. They're maybe only 2" longer than stock (for a 1" lift). I can't remember at this point. I don't design suspensions either, but I know how they work.

I was warned that adding the shackles was not ideal, but I had some BFG 33x10.5 MTs to fit, they would not fit without the small lift, well maybe they would, but it would look goofy, so I took an afternoon and put the free ( had them made at work) shackles on. Not too much to lose.

I drive it 40-50 miles to my parents farm and it does as good as I need it to.

Quick update. Progress moving along at the speed of a....well....an fj55...Received my new window gear and got the rear window working great from both the gate switch and dash switch. Now just need all the weatherstripping to seal it up. New steel wheels should be done at the powder coater tomorrow and then off to the tire shop for the new 33's. Power wash done underneath, tune up done and motor seems to be running well. As soon as the wheels get put on, its off to the body guy. Should have the new lift kit in the next couple of weeks. Waiting to find a bunch of parts. Definitely a slow moving process. Pretty fun tho.

Replaced the dry rotted rubber with the new kicks today. Thought I was going to actually be able to take a little test drive....nope, fuel pump decide to take a leak. Oh well, Maybe next week.

20150411_154622.jpg 20150411_154727.jpg

Those are 33x10.5x15? If so, how have they affected the power? Does your truck already have some type of lift? Maybe a shackle lift?

Last edited:
Those are 33x10.5x15? If so, how have they affected the power? Does your truck already have some type of lift? Maybe a shackle lift?

I have not had a chance to drive it yet. Drove it down the street with the dry rotted 31" tires it came with but never got out of second gear. Pretty low gearing, hoping power won't be too much of an issue. I know quite a few others run 33's with original gearing. I don't plan on setting any speed records regardless. Thought I was going to be able to take her out for a test drive but of coarse the fuel pump went out as soon as I got the tires on.
No lift, no shackles, just stock original springs. Planning a 2.5" lift from cruiser outfitters.

I'm in the same exact boat as you. I have the tires but can't decide wether to pull the trigger on that lift. Can't wait to see pics.

Tires seem to fit fine with the stock springs. I like a little more clearance so will definitely lift. I know a guy at a local spring shop. Plan to have him check it out for options when I get it running. If he doesn't have a better option I will go with the Cruiser outfitter lift. May be a while for pictures :)

image.jpg
Sits on 33x10.5 with 3" shackle, they are huge also prob not best way to get 3" but wanted some pick the old girl up some. Also replaced shocks also.

Time to get her running. Hoping someone can help me with a couple of items. Fuel pump went out last time I tried to start her up. Ordering a new one from Beno.
Discovered that the fuel line from fuel pump to carb has been cut and replaced with a rubber line. Wondering if this is ok and a typical fix for the piggies. Reading thru the forums it looks like these metal gas lines may be hard to come by. Anyone have a spare?
I have searched the forums and cannot find where the stock fuel filter mounts. Where the heck does it go? Pic would be helpful.
Third pic shows where the gas line was cut and rubber hose added near the carb. Rubber line wraps around the front of the valve cover then goes down to the fuel pump and connect with a hose clamp.

Thank you for suggestions/advise
-Mike

20150425_193358.jpg

20150425_193512.jpg

20150425_193628.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom