New Piggie build, Big Red Pig or BRP. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From '76 (when they started putting disc brakes on the front of 40s and 55s sent to the US) to sometime in '78, the birfields were longer. Pigs got lock-outs (locking hubs) from the factory that were made by ASCO. 40s, for some reason, were sent to the US w/ drive plates that kept the front birfs locked. Dealers usually swapped in lock-outs from Warn, Selectro, other. In '79 the 40s started getting factory lock-outs from Aisin (spelling?), but they had a shorter body than the ASCO lock-outs b/c the birfs got shorter.
Make sense?
If you look at your front lock-outs, they probably say "ASCO" on the dial.
PS is not too bad, read up on the 60 series PS swap. Does your 2F have the holes in the block for mounting a PS pump?
AC is a little more involved...
I have attached a picture of my trim tag. Yes on the ASCO. Looked for holes on the block. Kind of hard to see whats going on plus not sure exactly what I am looking for. Also attached a pic of my master cylinder. Not sure it is correct. Others I have seen look different. Mine had a trailer brake set up of some type. Getting rid of that but thinking maybe my master cylinder was modified?? Looks different from a couple other '78's I have seen.
Thank you for all the info and help. I have a lot to learn!
fj55 brake mine.jpg fj55 master cyl.jpg fj55 trim tag.jpg

There should be another VIN tag at the lower part of the driver side "B" pillar that will list the build date.
Cool you have the ASCO lock-outs.
Your master cylinder looks like someone swapped in a MC from a 60 series.
I will post up a pic of the holes in the block to look for.

Cool that you want to learn about these Pigs - they are amazing Cruisers, and you found a sweet one!

There should be another VIN tag at the lower part of the driver side "B" pillar that will list the build date.
Cool you have the ASCO lock-outs.
Your master cylinder looks like someone swapped in a MC from a 60 series.
I will post up a pic of the holes in the block to look for.

Cool that you want to learn about these Pigs - they are amazing Cruisers, and you found a sweet one!
Checked the door tag. May 1978 build. Hope the PS holes are there. Would like my wife to be able to drive the pig on occasion. I don't think she will be a fan of no PS.
I have done a little homework on lifts. Looks like Cruiser Outfitters in Utah is the way to go?? I can't seem to find another source. They seem a little pricey to me, but I haven't lifted a truck since 1989 so maybe i'm off. I am thinking 2.5" lift with 33" tires on stock rims.
Thank you for your responses. Very helpful and I appreciate it very much.
-Mike

The problem with 55s is that they have a unique main spring length, and not many options to choose from for a bolt on lift. Some people change the location of the spring hangers to accommodate springs that are more readily available. Or do a spring over axle lift, but that involves quite a bit more work.

The problem with 55s is that they have a unique main spring length, and not many options to choose from for a bolt on lift. Some people change the location of the spring hangers to accommodate springs that are more readily available. Or do a spring over axle lift, but that involves quite a bit more work.
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I will have move the hanger and do a little welding. Well not me because I would probably end up cutting the frame in half. :)
Not looking to do a spring over. Too tall and too much work. Just looking for something subtle that will provide a little extra room for 33's. My dad and I did a spring over on a wrangler about 20 years ago. We were both younger then. :)

Checked the door tag.
I have done a little homework on lifts. Looks like Cruiser Outfitters in Utah is the way to go?? I can't seem to find another source. They seem a little pricey to me, but I haven't lifted a truck since 1989 so maybe i'm off. I am thinking 2.5" lift with 33" tires on stock rims.
The lift Cruiser Outfitters offers will work well with 33" tires, I looked for better pricing and found nothing for comparable components so went with them for my suspension. The Ride was great with the OME springs and shocks.

In no particular order...
ASCOs are a factory lockout, vs. an aftermarket piece by Warn or Selectro or other. I geek out on them b/c someone at Toyota deemed that Iron Piggies would have these, while the 40s of that vintage got drive plates. There was some corporate product planning meeting somewhere that made it so. Probably lots of Japanese men, smoking many cigarettes...

Springs: Kurt sells a OME lift for the 70 series Cruisers that can work on the 55 w/ some mods. I have heard mixed reviews, but Alcan in Grand Junction, CO will make custom springs for Pigs. I hear that several folks have done that. Or you could be like me and throw 33s on w/ the factory springs. I think my springs were pretty good when I got her, and she rides nice! See my build thread for pics.

Bolt holes on the block for PS pump mount:
FJ60 Power Steering Conversion for FJ40 while keeping air pump from my PS thread.

ASCOs are a factory lockout, vs. an aftermarket piece by Warn or Selectro or other. I geek out on them b/c someone at Toyota deemed that Iron Piggies would have these, while the 40s of that vintage got drive plates. There was some corporate product planning meeting somewhere that made it so. Probably lots of Japanese men, smoking many cigarettes...

Springs: Kurt sells a OME lift for the 70 series Cruisers that can work on the 55 w/ some mods. I have heard mixed reviews, but Alcan in Grand Junction, CO will make custom springs for Pigs. I hear that several folks have done that. Or you could be like me and throw 33s on w/ the factory springs. I think my springs were pretty good when I got her, and she rides nice! See my build thread for pics.

FJ60 Power Steering Conversion for FJ40 while keeping air pump from my PS thread.
Great, thank you. Will check it out. Was PS for sure an option in '78? I was looking around on this site and found a page that gave options and the years they were available. I think it stated that PS wasn't available to '79. I could be remembering wrong. Of coarse, I can't find that page now to check. I would think if it was an option, then the block should have the bolt holes. Especially with mine being a later (May) build date.

I am going to put on the 33's with the stock springs and see how it looks/works. I have a local spring guy that may be able to help me out.

Thank you!!

The lift Cruiser Outfitters offers will work well with 33" tires, I looked for better pricing and found nothing for comparable components so went with them for my suspension. The Ride was great with the OME springs and shocks.
I may go this route. Going to try the stock springs to start with. Knowing myself, i will likely end up doing the lift. I have some buddies in SLC. Maybe I can talk them into picking up the kit and delivering to San Diego for me.

Thank you

No Luck, Bummer. See pic
fj55 engine block.jpg

No Luck, Bummer. See pic
View attachment 1044534

Yeah, just a long shot. I think by late '78 (or if block had been replaced) they were installing blocks set up for PS pumps.

Nothing is impossible if you are dumb enough - see my PS thread linked above for how I overcame the lack of PS pump install provisions on my block.

OEM power steering only appeared on 79's and there aren't may of those around. There are plenty of options available to add PS - search the 55 section. My wife drives her 55 w/o power steering with out issue - you just need to get it rolling a little before you crank on the wheel. She calls me soft because my pig has PS :steer:.

Welcome to the sty and the addiction.

Nice looking pig ya got there...

Yeah, just a long shot. I think by late '78 (or if block had been replaced) they were installing blocks set up for PS pumps.

Nothing is impossible if you are dumb enough - see my PS thread linked above for how I overcame the lack of PS pump install provisions on my block.
i looked a little at your PS thread. Little much for me, not that talented. I can change springs, shocks, oil, etc. But anything to do with fabrication/ welding, figuring things out from scratch, etc. is not my cup of tea. I usually try something, mess it up.. then pay double to have it fixed right. :)

OEM power steering only appeared on 79's and there aren't may of those around. There are plenty of options available to add PS - search the 55 section. My wife drives her 55 w/o power steering with out issue - you just need to get it rolling a little before you crank on the wheel. She calls me soft because my pig has PS :steer:.

Welcome to the sty and the addiction.

Nice looking pig ya got there...
That's funny. I think my wife's wrists would break. Very skinny and wimpy. (don't tell her I wrote that) :)

Thank you!

I run 33x10.5 on stock wheels and springs with a 1.5 inch shackle lift. Does fine.
I'm thinking that is where I will start. I may even start with stock tirel size. Original spare wheel and tire was still under the truck. Might just paint my new steel wheels to match and match the original tires.

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom