NEW knuckle alignment tool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haha I don’t think your standards would be low. Haha. For me it was those shiny pieces and the scriber point. It wouldn’t stay in my axle tube was sloppy couldn’t get a decent scribe it would give me different scribe line every time I tried. I had to wrap a bit of electrical tape around the piece that slides into the tube to get a repeatabe measurement. And whey they are measuring in such small increments. I figured it would fit the housing better. Hmm. Tip would move wasn’t tight enough in the axle tube. I borrowed one from our local crusier club I’m sure it was well used. Haha. I figured I got it close enough though and went with the Marlin heavy duty inner axle seal no leak yet. 😁. Not sure if I actually got it somewhat centre or the seal is doing all the work. lol.
Any chance you borrowed the SST that was designed to fit the earlier models? Sounds like everything was too small. I have the correct one for my '77 and unlike @pbgbottle I find everything was very tight and exact.
 
Last edited:
Any chance you borrowed the SST that was designed to fit the earlier models? Sounds like everything was too small. I have the correct one for my '77 and like @pbgbottle I find everything was very tight and exact.
Oh wow maybe I did not know they made one for early axles. Hmm. Who knows. That may explain why it was loose. Oh well. Ya learn something new everyday. Haha.
 
Oh wow maybe I did not know they made one for early axles. Hmm. Who knows. That may explain why it was loose. Oh well. Ya learn something new everyday. Haha.
Sorry; meant unlike. Corrected. Pretty sure there are three variations through the 80/105 series but I could be remembering wrong.
 

If I were wanting to make a tool I would use a spindle, cut off the tube where the bearings mount, and machine a shaft maybe .001 or .002 smaller than a new installed bushing. You could then bolt the modified spindle with new bushing to the knuckle, slide the shaft in for feel using Prussian blue on the end of the shaft to determine which side you're off, top or bottom, make shim adjustments until you can slide the shaft in with minimal effort. That way you're aligning both the trunnion bushing and spindle bushing together for an aligned axles/UJ. https://www.indiamart.com/proddetai...ota-land-cruiser-43401-60080-25738791155.html
 
Yeah, you could, but IMHO, that's far too much candy for the nickel. You eyeball the SST marks. How close can you distinguish two marks from each other, in thousands of an inch?
 
Yeah, you could, but IMHO, that's far too much candy for the nickel. You eyeball the SST marks. How close can you distinguish two marks from each other, in thousands of an inch?

But if you loosened the top bearing cap, slid the shaft into both bushings, wouldn't you be able to use a feel gauge for an accurate measurement under the cap?
 
Back
Top Bottom