New GX460 Owner Inquiries (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got a '18 GX (Lux trim) last week. I'm planning on getting a Victory roof rack installed which I was quoted around $1650 for material, labor, and taxes altogether. I will have to save up a little bit before I can get a lift/sus, but I'd like to go with Dobinson, but I'm not familiar with lifts so I'm not sure what configuration to get or how different configurations work exactly. If someone can explain it to me like I'm 5, that'd be great lol
Then I'd like to get Ironman front bumper which I was quoted $2,650 OTD.

Now, some questions:
1. Is there any way to display numeric speedometer on the cockpit?
2. I've heard that the comfort/sport mode is just for the ride/comfort quality, but I can't really tell any difference no matter how many times I've changed it and as it doesn't display anything when it's changed, I'm not sure if mine is just broken or it's functioning, but it's too subtle for me to tell...
3. When I first purchased it, in the "Home" screen of the touchscreen, it displayed the speed limit without the actual map in 1/2 of the screen but I accidently changed it and since then, I can't get that screen back. When I read the manual, it seems like I'm supposed to have 2 or 3 more options, but I'm missing them and I only have 6 things available in that setting screen for me to place. Currently, I have the map on the left half, audio on top right, and climate on bottom right as a 3-way split and it's not a big deal per se, but if anyone knows how to get that screen back, let me know.
4. I dislike vent phone holders as it heats up the phone a lot during the colder months and for some reason, even if I close the vent, hot air still slips through. As such, I got a traditional phone holder that hangs down from the windshield below the rearview mirror, but it's affecting my visibility, so I wish to return it and replace it with a different one. Does anyone have a good recommendation that preferably do not utilize the vent or hangs down from the windshield? The way the center infotainment system is set up, there aren't a lot of places that are straight to place the holder, but maybe there's one that works with that curve-like design or something out there that I can't seem to find.
5. If there are anything you wish you'd done or gotten right off the bat, what are they? I did have a sleeping platform I built for my '20 4R, but since the dimensions are different, I'm not sure how well it'll fit. I haven't had the time to set it up yet. I had 2 built up for full rear and utilizing just 1 side to have the "40" side of the 2nd row chair up to use. I recently got tow strap set, folding shovel, and a set of traction boards in addition to my emergency bag, first-aid kit, BTECH GMRS two-way radios (not really sure how to work them as they're different than the Motorola I've used in the military, so maybe someone can give us a good explanation on it), small foldable table & some small cooking gears, sleeping bag rated for 0 degrees, rechargers, battery jump starter, rechargeable fans, lights, and Jackery. I'm not sure what other small/essential things I can add...

#1 - Not on dash... this only showed up starting with 2020 models

#2 - I can notice on mine.. you can see actuator changes via OBD apps too but if you are putting lift on probably not worth worrying about

Congrats on your purchase! I got a 2015 last week. I don't have air suspension, so I can't comment on that. There are a couple threads on phone mounts that you can look up. I haven't found an option that's ideal. I'm going to repurpose a RAM X Grip that I already have and mount it to the driver's side grab handle. Best option for me. I'm looking for a small wireless charger to attach to the mount so I don't have to worry about plugging my phone in. I plan to run power to a separate USB charger under the dash. The built in USB ports are in an inconvenient spot for me and woefully under powered.

I'm just starting to plan upgrades and this forum is an amazing resource. I'm planning for a rather stealth build. I have MTS and crawl control ordered. I plan to go with the Victory Blitz front bumper and need to make a call on rock sliders. My GX came with newish A/T tires, so I'll keep those for now and start to look at suspension. I'm leaning toward Dobinson or Old Man Emu. I plan to keep a spare in the factory location and keep added weight to a minimum.

Welcome to the GX open your wallet!

Use the search and you will find answers to many questions or at least narrow your thoughts and decisions. Read a few of the build threads that generally align with your thoughts, bad part about that is it will lead to more mods!

Per your questions:
  1. No. Not unless you use an aftermarket product like what's on this thread at post # 43: Builds - The Fresh-Air-Ah GX 460 Build Thread - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-fresh-air-ah-gx-460-build-thread.1256806/page-3#post-14263222 or an app on your phone.
  2. I was never able to tell with 2013 Premium edition either. But it may be a mute point if you're going to do a suspension lift. 80-90 percent of the people on this forum actually prefer the ride of the aftermarket suspension better than stock, especially when stopping. It prevents nose diving. I know I do!
  3. Go to a Lexus dealer. When I first purchased mine (used) I couldn't figure out a few things on the infotainment system so I went to my local Lexus dealer (not the one I purchased from). They had a guy there that his sole purpose was to help costumers with their new (to them) Lexus and all the bells and whistles. He sat in the car with me and showed me everything about the infotainment system. It was really helpful.
  4. Best phone mount and location GX 460 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/best-phone-mount-and-location-gx-460.1273052/

Per your questions:
  1. No. Not unless you use an aftermarket product like what's on this thread at post # 43: Builds - The Fresh-Air-Ah GX 460 Build Thread - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-fresh-air-ah-gx-460-build-thread.1256806/page-3#post-14263222 or an app on your phone.
  2. I was never able to tell with 2013 Premium edition either. But it may be a mute point if you're going to do a suspension lift. 80-90 percent of the people on this forum actually prefer the ride of the aftermarket suspension better than stock, especially when stopping. It prevents nose diving. I know I do!
  3. Go to a Lexus dealer. When I first purchased mine (used) I couldn't figure out a few things on the infotainment system so I went to my local Lexus dealer (not the one I purchased from). They had a guy there that his sole purpose was to help costumers with their new (to them) Lexus and all the bells and whistles. He sat in the car with me and showed me everything about the infotainment system. It was really helpful.
  4. Best phone mount and location GX 460 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/best-phone-mount-and-location-gx-460.1273052/
Yeah, I'm waiting on Dobinson to come in actually, so I was told that the stock air suspension wouldn't work anyways. I'm not sure if it'll just be disabled electronically or if it's more of a physical thing.. like if my kid accidently press the button, would it mess anything up internally?

You will want to reference this thread about suspension defeat measures

During the winter i run my heater on the windshield and my feet. So my vent mount isnt an issue. Maybe try doing that instead? I am not a fan of hot dry air blasting into my eyes plus it keeps the windshield from fogging up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom