New FZJ80 Owner Looking for Trails - Helena, AL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes it is. Thanks for the heads up.

Don't go riding down Elvira. Its just a bunch of mud holes as far as I know. I wouldn't want to associate with the people that are riding back there personally. Its hard enough to go ride in the area around the slab. People tend to go out there and ruin it for everyone. but riding in the Cahaba WMA is a good place to go to get the feel for things.

Yeah. I've heard of the Managment. Yeah my brother-in-law said it's been 9 years since he's rode Elvira (Mad Dog).

I'm sure a lot has changed.

Milliron came back over this early evening and we put it all on jackstands, threw a front bumper on it, and threw a CDL button in it.
Here's what we saw:
BOTH driveshafts spin. The rear axle is working as expected being an open dif. NEITHER front wheel pulls. So we pulled the passenger side hub and pulled the birf. Found an inner axle shaft. turned the driver side tire, could see the carrier inside turning. So that tells me the other side also has an inner axle shaft... Being that the front dif flange would not be there if the pinion was not there... the ONLY thing that now has to be missing is the front RING. And that would make sense considering the mechanic said it was unavailable.... and it is unavailble at Autozone or Advance or even Napa. Because anyone would say "Land Cruisers have 9.5" rings... not an 8" reverse cut..."
Oh well. One evening soon, we're going to pull BOTH hubs, and drop the dif. One night we'll be ready with all the stuff... if it turns out to NOT have a ring... I'll sell Milliron Bertha's front dif that I showed him tonight... and keep his as a core as my spare.
Milliron, so for now... let's keep it cheap... just bring over 3 quarts of gear oil, and a tub of grease... forget the rebuild kit. Let's just tear into the axle dirty like I did the one side tonight. I kinda wanna see it working before we proceed in to a FULL front axle rebuild... there's time for that later. Sound good?

That'll work. Let me know when you got the open slot and we'll tear it apart. I'll try to have the grease and oil by Wednesday... And you can work off that. I'll let you know otherwise if I don't have it by then. Obviously we don't have to do it then. Just giving you a heads up.

Hey Eric, I think I got a set of stock 4.10 front gears laying around if you need them.

Lemmie know.

And this adventure sounds like one of those stranger than fiction stories. Can't make that S**t up. If you find it actually doesn't have a ring gear on it, I would have to take the pinion out and go clock the Dumba$$ who did that up side the head with it. Jezz...

That'll work. Let me know when you got the open slot and we'll tear it apart. I'll try to have the grease and oil by Wednesday... And you can work off that. I'll let you know otherwise if I don't have it by then. Obviously we don't have to do it then. Just giving you a heads up.

HAMOM February

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom