New FZJ80 Owner Looking for Trails - Helena, AL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

haha! I had a feeling it was you. Well let's get together soon and look over this thing. I want to get this 4WD working soon!

ROH TAHDE!

@MillironFZJ80 just left the ShuntCave and I'll be honest, I'm more confused to the problem than before he showed up... It's got to be missing something IN the drivetrain. We're going to go a little deeper this weekend. All are welcome to show up, but we don't know when yet. I was planning to go up to WOW on Saturday morning. We may put her on jack stands Saturday afternoon. Since Sunday is Valentines, I'm free, but most guys with loved ones are not. Otherwise, we both have Monday off, so if not by then, then Monday.
Errybody who wants to come out... stay posted.

Not missing the birfs, we pulled the caps and saw the stub shafts coming out. It may be missing an axle shaft inside.
The plan is to first get it off the ground with four jack stands, and see what is and is not pulling. We tried in the parking lot but couldn't tell. If we can't determine from holding each tire with them in the air. We'll pull the shafts on the front to inspect. If all that fails and everything looks good... I'm leaning towards the transfer case electronics being bad, since it's likely not a mechanical issue with the xfer.
We're also going to install a CDL button from a spare hazard button I have. I tried last night, but we couldn't fish out the harness, so it will require opening up that part of the dash to grab the pig-tail.
I want to see what the xfer case does in Hi with the dif locked....

The good news is: if it's an axle shaft... I have that.
Also, I drive in figure 8's and no clicking whatsoever so I asked if they ever clicked, Chris said they did use to but stopped after the work was performed, so that leans me to them not having shafts in there any more. Also the mechanic doing the work couldn't find the part, so they left it off/out.... So something has to be gone. We're running out of things to see gone. The dif looks to be there... But we'll see if it's the shafts.
I have spare ones sitting in the ShuntCave

Is it possible that the cdl is locked ala put it in 4lo and pull the fuse? I can't remember if that locks it and turns the light off?(think so)

It would be very noticeable if the front shaft was uninstalled and the cdl wasn't locked.

Thanks for all the help fellas. Saturday afternoon works great (After WOW of course) and all day Monday works just as good.

It would be very noticeable if the front shaft was uninstalled and the cdl wasn't locked.

How so? I know many a folk who've dropped their front DS and ran for weeks with their VC acting as the catch in FZJ's. It works, works well actually. Even without a CDL button.
I've just always heard that this can burn up the VC if you keep it this way too long.
It does a quick slip once put in to gear, VC catches and just acts as 2WD.

And by "quick slip" it's literally as fast as the fabled "clunk" in the FJ80 without the VC, so it's noticeable but not really if you don't know what to look for.

It always felt like a slipping transmission to me.

That's what I would assume would happen if the VC is going bad... But who knows.
I had a CDL button in Mulligan when I did it for a week. So I just engaged it and rocked out. Suppose I should have tried letting the the VC engage just to know the feeling.

I think that is how it is supposed to work. My understanding is that it is designed, and works really well, for snow or ice conditions. that way if a wheel slips it sends gradual power to the other wheels to keep the other tire from breaking loose - if it locks up immediately or stays locked it is going bad.

Let's plan on Saturday at 3pm.

I'm in Helena also but at the other end of town. i'd be curious to look at it as well and figure this out as well. I've got some good places to show you to ride once its all working.

Milliron was up late last night, pulling his starter! New one will be here today!
Texts and pics were being sent all evening in to the night! LOL.

Starter is scheduled to be delivered today. As long as everything goes as planned, looks like we will meet Saturday morning.

I'm in Helena also but at the other end of town. i'd be curious to look at it as well and figure this out as well. I've got some good places to show you to ride once its all working.
I've got some friends who said they've been riding down Elvira. He showed me the trails via Google maps and we could definitely go out there once we get going.

I've got some friends who said they've been riding down Elvira. He showed me the trails via Google maps and we could definitely go out there once we get going.

Elvira? "Gettyup Gettyup, awhom boppa mahw mahw" Elvira? Or is this a totally different Elvira?

hahaha. Different Elvira. Elvira Rd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom