New 90 series Members say hi here first. Chit chat ok (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great looking rig. We continue to see different variants. I didn't realize they ever shipped this truck without an IC. Cool to see all the different versions.

Wheels are a match made in LC heaven. 🥰
Excited to join the 90 club here in the U.S. Been using an FZJ80 as a daily driver. With gas prices and 80 series parts going through the roof, I picked up this little guy to daily drive and do some road trips while my garaged, gas guzzling 80 continues to moon in value.

How do you y'all think I did? 1997 Prado TX. $8500.00 shipped from JP, 141k miles, 1KZ-TE, Automatic. No rust on frame from all the pictures. Don't know timing belt history and will need new rims and tires, still I think it is good price. Getting here in a month or so.
View attachment 2902886View attachment 2902887View attachment 2902888
It seems like the option combinations on these when sold new was limitless. I Have the TZ (technically the higher trim level), but I don’t have the roof rails like yours. Hopefully it arrives soon!

It seems like the option combinations on these when sold new was limitless. I Have the TZ (technically the higher trim level), but I don’t have the roof rails like yours. Hopefully it arrives soon!
All black GTI and Prado is so damn clean! Not the biggest fan of oem roof rails. Probably going to remove and replace with some gutter mounted roof rails. I need to acquire some stock wheels and some meaty ko2s like yours. I was indifferent to TX or TZ trim, I would have preferred the flareless TS or TJ trim, but those are rare in Japan. Ultimately though, I just wanted a version with a diesel engine. It is too expensive for me to continue to daily drive my gas 80 series. I assume you daily the GTI. The 5VZ must also be nice though with easier parts availability in states though. The car should be stateside by end of March. Will post here upon arrival.

All black GTI and Prado is so damn clean! Not the biggest fan of oem roof rails. Probably going to remove and replace with some gutter mounted roof rails. I need to acquire some stock wheels and some meaty ko2s like yours. I was indifferent to TX or TZ trim, I would have preferred the flareless TS or TJ trim, but those are rare in Japan. Ultimately though, I just wanted a version with a diesel engine. It is too expensive for me to continue to daily drive my gas 80 series. I assume you daily the GTI. The 5VZ must also be nice though with easier parts availability in states though. The car should be stateside by end of March. Will post here upon arrival.
The GTI gets more miles (and gets like 26 mpg average with the tune I have) but is much more needy. It’s nice to have a 2nd car and not have to rent a car when the GTI needs service. The 5VZ was the biggest selling point for me - and I actually got 18.5 mpg on my last tank!

Has yours actually shipped yet? I'm trying to get a feel for how much of the delay on mine is due to the charging system issues, and how much is due to the importer I'm working with. Seems like we bought ours at about the same time, but neither have received them.

Has yours actually shipped yet? I'm trying to get a feel for how much of the delay on mine is due to the charging system issues, and how much is due to the importer I'm working with. Seems like we bought ours at about the same time, but neither have received them.
Yes. Mine shipped from Yokohama on February 23rd, with scheduled arrival in Savannah on March 21st. I purchased the car January 23rd, when I first posted here. It took maybe 3 weeks just for the car to be shipped from Niigata to the Yokohama port. I know there are lots of port delays given the global supply chain situation. Who did you buy through? Have you gotten an update that the car has at least reached the port?

Yes. Mine shipped from Yokohama on February 23rd, with scheduled arrival in Savannah on March 21st. I purchased the car January 23rd, when I first posted here. It took maybe 3 weeks just for the car to be shipped from Niigata to the Yokohama port. I know there are lots of port delays given the global supply chain situation. Who did you buy through? Have you gotten an update that the car has at least reached the port?
I bought through theimportguys.com. I paid Jan 19, looks like it was at the port on or before Feb 17 and was supposed to be on the next boat, but they ran into issues with the charging system on the truck and it wouldn't stay running when they went to load it on the vessel. For whatever reason the port didn't notify the importer that they had run into issues, so it took some pushing on my part to figure out what was going on. They put a new alternator in the truck last week and have confirmed that it solved the issue and the truck will stay running, so it's been cleared to board the next vessel... just waiting now on space. If your timeline is indicative, it'll be end of April for mine.

I bought through theimportguys.com. I paid Jan 19, looks like it was at the port on or before Feb 17 and was supposed to be on the next boat, but they ran into issues with the charging system on the truck and it wouldn't stay running when they went to load it on the vessel. For whatever reason the port didn't notify the importer that they had run into issues, so it took some pushing on my part to figure out what was going on. They put a new alternator in the truck last week and have confirmed that it solved the issue and the truck will stay running, so it's been cleared to board the next vessel... just waiting now on space. If your timeline is indicative, it'll be end of April for mine.
Sounds like some bogus on the port's behalf. Glad it got sorted out before it left the port though. At least it isn't something more serious.

Hi all,

Here's my 1996 LC Prado TX 1KZ diesel on it's way from Japan. I've imported a few kei trucks but this is my first land cruiser. She's going to need some new tires but other than that it seems to be in pretty good condition. I can't wait until May!
BK584879_0e94f5.jpeg

Hi Gang!

Joined the Mighty 90 club last November. Bought mine through a dealer in the US East Coast. I’m sure I paid a premium but didn’t wanna deal with customs and waiting. lol
I bought with 111k miles but have put a ton of miles on it already. Did all the basic maintenance: timing, belt, water pump, glow plugs, injectors, all fluids. Going to delete the EGR and install an EGT/Boost/Water temp gauge from Redarc. Just added a 2” Dobinsons lift.
I have not seen any other on the road. I specifically wanted the 1KZTE and RHD. This thing is sooo cool!
Follow my misadventures on IG: @pnwprado

328DE13A-D424-4BD7-B27A-21A900535D4A.jpeg

Hi Gang!

Joined the Mighty 90 club last November. Bought mine through a dealer in the US East Coast. I’m sure I paid a premium but didn’t wanna deal with customs and waiting. lol
I bought with 111k miles but have put a ton of miles on it already. Did all the basic maintenance: timing, belt, water pump, glow plugs, injectors, all fluids. Going to delete the EGR and install an EGT/Boost/Water temp gauge from Redarc. Just added a 2” Dobinsons lift.
I have not seen any other on the road. I specifically wanted the 1KZTE and RHD. This thing is sooo cool!

View attachment 2969966
Welcome! Looks great! The 1kz is a great little powerplant.

Any chance you're going to the overland expo in Oregon in July? Bought my tickets yesterday, but will be showing up with my 70 series, not my 90 series. Oopsie.

Hi Gang!

View attachment 2969966
Which Dobinson's lift did you go with - the twin tube or the mono? How do you like the ride?

Hi all,

Here's my 1996 LC Prado TX 1KZ diesel on it's way from Japan. I've imported a few kei trucks but this is my first land cruiser. She's going to need some new tires but other than that it seems to be in pretty good condition. I can't wait until May!
View attachment 2962410
This is my favorite color combo for the 90 series.
Where in VA are you?

Hi Everyone,
I will be getting my 2001 Prado VZJ90, hopefully by the end of July! Looking forward to connecting and learning with you.
Sue

Hey everyone! Sorry I jumped straight into posting without introducing myself haha.

I'm Sam. I'm a relatively new 4WD owner. Was never really that interested in the scene to be honest and only owned a fourby to pull my caravan around however after doing some touring around Eyre Peninsula for a few weeks last Christmas with the family and experiencing some 4X4 adventures since, I've now caught the bug and am currently building up my 2000 95 Series 1KZ-TE Prado for more adventures - on and off the beaten track. Originally from New Zealand and now living in Adelaide SA.

You'll notice, I am right into DIY, modifications and "chasing horses" as you guys say in the Diesel performance scene. Always trying to "squeeze a few more ponies out of my 1KZ". I have thrown a lot of money at my Prado already with mods and upgrades and have been through one 1KZ engine already so am fairly knowledgable with this car and engine and have a lot of useful tips and tricks which I am happy to share. I just love chatting about mods and how to make these cars more enjoyable to drive. Thanks for having me :)

photo_2022-05-24_14-48-19.jpg

Hi All, I'm Jay,

I just picked up a 96 KZJ-95, a week ago. So far I am loving it. Trying to find some info on sourcing parts, and am moving to the Portland Oregon area, so any tips on shops there would be awesome. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom