New 90 series Members say hi here first. Chit chat ok (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A belated 'hi' to all of you. I'm deep in the middle of bringing back to life a poor little abused 1998 petrol 2-door here in Dubai. Do any of you know of a source for a rear bumper that is the type for trucks that do not have fender flares?

A belated 'hi' to all of you. I'm deep in the middle of bringing back to life a poor little abused 1998 petrol 2-door here in Dubai. Do any of you know of a source for a rear bumper that is the type for trucks that do not have fender flares?
Hello! If you have access to Amayama, you can put in the Chassis number and find out. Another good resource is ToyoDiy.
If you're looking for new that is.

Used is an entire different story. You have a RZ I take it?

Used is an entire different story. You have a RZ I take it?
Heck if I know!

It's been through a lot. Not much left in the way or markings.

Re those parts sources, they are unavailable to me, unfortunately. Due to a peculiarity of UAE law, there can be only one distributor for the domestic market, and that is Al Futtaim. So stuff either comes from Al Futtaim or from Oman. But I make due. Here was my haul last Saturday from a salvage operator who does nothing but Prados:
1666089669879.png

A lot of the parts are pretty rough, so it will take some effort to re-use them.

Heck if I know!

It's been through a lot. Not much left in the way or markings.

Re those parts sources, they are unavailable to me, unfortunately. Due to a peculiarity of UAE law, there can be only one distributor for the domestic market, and that is Al Futtaim. So stuff either comes from Al Futtaim or from Oman. But I make due. Here was my haul last Saturday from a salvage operator who does nothing but Prados:
View attachment 3143653
A lot of the parts are pretty rough, so it will take some effort to re-use them.
John, inside the hood, there should be data plate with the Chassis code in it.

John, inside the hood, there should be data plate with the Chassis code in it.
Interestingly, not on my truck:
1666091223984.png

But in the door frame the chassis number does appear:
1666091277041.png
ToyoDIY translates this as:

09/1998 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER (VZJ90L-GJMEKV)
VX GCC LHD 5VZFE EFI MTM 3D

So I guess this is a 'VX' trim, not that it means much to me. I've never been all that clear what Toyota means by their trim levels in the Middle East.

I see statements like: " Toyota has an SUV called the “Prado”, the VX version is the highest trim which includes leather seats, sunroof, infotainment and other things, lesser versions might be called the GX. This varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but they usually denote a trim level." But I also see references to VX being an intermediate level trim. The scrap yard where I buy a lot of stuff suggested my Prado was not the top level because it has the glass headlights like the 100 Series of the same era. In any event, it is what it is, and mostly I'm just trying to get the poor old thing back into presentable shape with whatever parts I can find.

Interestingly, not on my truck:
View attachment 3143658
But in the door frame the chassis number does appear:
View attachment 3143659ToyoDIY translates this as:

09/1998 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER (VZJ90L-GJMEKV)
VX GCC LHD 5VZFE EFI MTM 3D

So I guess this is a 'VX' trim, not that it means much to me. I've never been all that clear what Toyota means by their trim levels in the Middle East.

I see statements like: " Toyota has an SUV called the “Prado”, the VX version is the highest trim which includes leather seats, sunroof, infotainment and other things, lesser versions might be called the GX. This varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but they usually denote a trim level." But I also see references to VX being an intermediate level trim. The scrap yard where I buy a lot of stuff suggested my Prado was not the top level because it has the glass headlights like the 100 Series of the same era. In any event, it is what it is, and mostly I'm just trying to get the poor old thing back into presentable shape with whatever parts I can find.
Here's the ToyoDiy page for that Chassis:

The VX Limited was the top level trim imo.

Thank you for the reply TMU.

If you are interested you can follow my Little Prado (mis)adventures here.

It has been interesting. Already had the frame off and on again. Hoping that the brake system blodge is sorted today. Some 'mechanic' put an brake booster and master cylinder in from some other Toyota. I did not notice until I decided to replace the master cylinder. Then I had to locate the right 2-bolt booster.

Update: Garage just whatsapped to say that the brakes have been sorted; will be picking up this afternoon.

Last edited:
Greetings! I have a ‘96 Prado with the 3L diesel turbo. My belts are chewed up as if a pulley is going bad. Can anyone tell me compatible belts for this engine at a US retailer like NAPA or AutoZone? I see Dayco in Australia and a Pitworks from Russia. I guess a belt is a belt so long as the dimensions are correct? Are idler pulleys from this engine used on other Toyotas? Thanks
I ordered mine through Amayama. The OE belts weren’t terribly expensive. They’re a pretty deep V profile, so I didn’t try to go match them at NAPA.

Hello all -

It appears I posted my intro in the wrong place, so... New to IH8MUD. I sold my firetruck and picked up a 1996 Prado 95-series. The build is now in process.
Thus far:
Stereo - Alpine W650
Lift - Ironman and JBA UCA's
EGR delete
Snorkel
ARB bumper
Winch - Come-up
Sliders - AdventureFab
Wheels and tires - Method and KM3's (255/85r16)
SwitchPros
VHF radio
Heated seats
Ceramic window tint
Glowshift 3in1 gauge
Skidplate
Receiver hitch
Way too many lights (At least according to my wallet) - Diode Dynamics and ARB
Probably more I am forgetting.

Upcoming -
Radiator replacement (R.I.P. little guy)
Interior soft LED lighting
OEM roof rack removal and replacement with Yakima tracks.
Front and rear e-lockers
Regearing

Does anyone know how to add cruise control or heated mirrors?

All is being documented on IG (of course) @the_redbrick
Fire truck.jpg
Prado.jpg

Hello all -

It appears I posted my intro in the wrong place, so... New to IH8MUD. I sold my firetruck and picked up a 1996 Prado 95-series. The build is now in process.
Thus far:
Stereo - Alpine W650
Lift - Ironman and JBA UCA's
EGR delete
Snorkel
ARB bumper
Winch - Come-up
Sliders - AdventureFab
Wheels and tires - Method and KM3's (255/85r16)
SwitchPros
VHF radio
Heated seats
Ceramic window tint
Glowshift 3in1 gauge
Skidplate
Receiver hitch
Way too many lights (At least according to my wallet) - Diode Dynamics and ARB
Probably more I am forgetting.

Upcoming -
Radiator replacement (R.I.P. little guy)
Interior soft LED lighting
OEM roof rack removal and replacement with Yakima tracks.
Front and rear e-lockers
Regearing

Does anyone know how to add cruise control or heated mirrors?

All is being documented on IG (of course) @the_redbrickView attachment 3147167View attachment 3147168
Welcome! Loved that fire truck! You'll enjoy the zippiness of the 1KZ though. Great progress so far!

Have any of you stripped the plastic moulding off the sides? I am contemplating that and wondering about what the challenges might be aside from welding up the holes.

Have any of you stripped the plastic moulding off the sides? I am contemplating that and wondering about what the challenges might be aside from welding up the holes.
I have also been interested in doing this. Do you know where I can find a flareless front and rear bumper for the 90?

Hello!
After searching for a while for a nice towing vehicle I came across a abandoned cruiser Prado 90. It has lots of electrical issu's and is in need of mechanical TLC!
I paid the junkyard price and am now in the proces of fixing her up!

Grtz
Diesel 72

Hello!
After searching for a while for a nice towing vehicle I came across a abandoned cruiser Prado 90. It has lots of electrical issu's and is in need of mechanical TLC!
I paid the junkyard price and am now in the proces of fixing her up!

Grtz
Diesel 72
That sounds interesting. I hope you will be posting a thread!

I have also been interested in doing this. Do you know where I can find a flareless front and rear bumper for the 90?
No, unfortunately, and I have been focusing on the rear because I am putting an AUS bull-bar on the front of mine. I posted about the rear bumper part numbers in my rescue thread. So far still searching for used in Sharjah.

That sounds interesting. I hope you will be posting a thread!
hello,

I myself was surprised to come across the car. The LC had been stashed in a barn for 4 years and suddenly had to get out of there. Well.... I couldn't resist such an offer . A nice little project!
the car does not look: dashboard half disassembled, fuse box disconnected, does not start etc.... but step by step.
I already went to some dismantling companies for parts, fun!

hello,

I myself was surprised to come across the car. The LC had been stashed in a barn for 4 years and suddenly had to get out of there. Well.... I couldn't resist such an offer . A nice little project!
the car does not look: dashboard half disassembled, fuse box disconnected, does not start etc.... but step by step.
I already went to some dismantling companies for parts, fun!
Post.A.Thread! (please) We all want to see this! Actual 'barn find'. Great fun. Hope it is a standard transmission.

I ordered mine through Amayama. The OE belts weren’t terribly expensive. They’re a pretty deep V profile, so I didn’t try to go match them at NAPA.
I bought two belts from Amayama, they are coming from UAE. I bought the A/C belt from a place called Hiace Southeast in NC. I’m in SC and the Hiace had the 3L TD as an optional engine. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom