New 2F Carb Recommendation - Winner! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
FJ40 2F Carb Recommendation!!!!!!!
I purchased this carb off of Amazon for $81.88 and just installed it. BAM! worked perfect! Best my FJ has run in 15 years!
It appears to be the exact same one City Racer sells for $295 (and is backordered on).

Differences:
  1. Completely desmogged - only vacuum for timing advance; no TP; no EGR ports, etc.
  2. Connector for fuel solenoid has a different connector, I used a female spade bit on the FJ40 factory harness.
  3. No return fuel line.
  4. Choke cable end connector is 81+ type; so you need to 1/4" barrel (Amazon has assortment kits for under $5). I typically rigged with a nut and bolt.
Started right up, ran fine! Just need to tune idle mixture and speed screws. I started the idle mix at 2.5 turns out. It would stall at 1.5 turns out with the choke off.

Amazon product ASIN B089Y7GWND

I have the same one and runs very well.

My curiosity was pinged not out of need but I guess I’m feeling catlike today 😂. City racer’s aftermarket version of 21100-61012 is made in Japan, I imagine MOSTPLUS’s is made in some other Asian country. Big price difference for sure. But this caught my attention on city’s website:
  • Do not fill up with ethanol free gasoline. Use standard gasoline, which contains about 10% ethanol.
Why is this? I would have thought it being the other way around due to alcohol issues with seals and aging-out, etc. Or is this an issue with the 2F motor that these carbs are for? Being only for desmogged rigs it doesn’t have anything to do with emissions, I assume. Curious. (cat thing).

(Don’t know if the MOSTPLUS variant has the same caution).

My curiosity was pinged not out of need but I guess I’m feeling catlike today 😂. City racer’s aftermarket version of 21100-61012 is made in Japan, I imagine MOSTPLUS’s is made in some other Asian country. Big price difference for sure. But this caught my attention on city’s website:
  • Do not fill up with ethanol free gasoline. Use standard gasoline, which contains about 10% ethanol.
Why is this? I would have thought it being the other way around due to alcohol issues with seals and aging-out, etc. Or is this an issue with the 2F motor that these carbs are for? Being only for desmogged rigs it doesn’t have anything to do with emissions, I assume. Curious. (cat thing).

(Don’t know if the MOSTPLUS variant has the same caution).
That is very interesting that it doesn’t recommend non-ethanol gasoline. Would love to know why.

Things to watch out for all on all aftermarket carbs:

1. Fuel cut solenoid o-ring tear/torn/broken.
2. Float absorbs water from fuel after prolonged sitting - Replace with oem Aisan.
3. Dropped emulsifier tubes into jet passage.
4. Improperly cast/drilled secondary vacuum diaphragm passageway (doesn’t line up).

As you drive it, watch for changes because I’ve taken the aftermarket carbs such as that one apart and have never been pleased. The nicest being the fuji city racer sells.

Hopefully it’s a good one, but if it acts up over time, look at those items. If you drive the truck daily or very often issues usually start to arise.

I can tell you this - it matches the City Racer pics exactly. We'll see how it does.

I just put one of these on my 60. I’d bet yours would run even better with a little tweaking. I bought the keyster kit at the same time I ordered the carb because I knew I’d need it. Biggest things in my recent one were that none of the gasket surfaces were flat and they weren’t even sealing in some spots. Try the paper clip test and see how the vacuum secondary works.
Simple fix though: take carb apart, sand the mating surfaces flat, clean well, put back together and run it.
816E8665-F258-4F4E-BC52-73D624D0012B.jpeg
F55E2CC1-EA65-4C92-A4D4-51B4949F6791.jpeg
4D191112-08DD-4DA5-A769-4CD1B7F0A384.jpeg
7610CE1B-121B-496D-9C1D-0930BEB55B5D.jpeg

For $80.00, it makes sense to have one on the self should your carb gets fouled or you need to do some no start testing. I have an old trollhole carb just for that purpose.

I have been running the CityRacer carb without issue.

I'm thinking about getting one of these so I can drive my 40 while waiting for Jim to rebuild my Aisin. Seems as though none of these have provisions for a fuel return line, @estoltman, @Ackcruisers or anyone running a similar carb, are you simply removing or capping that line?

There is no fuel return line on the “winner” aftermarket carb. For me, when I replaced the entire fuel system, I added a later model fuel pump that has the fuel return line at the pump vs in the carb. My truck never had a fuel return line on it and I ran the carb as is. As a temporary solution you will be ok until your carb is back from rebuild.

1F8F1AF6-D1A9-49E5-AC35-9D9D9DB7572B.jpeg

These carbs may be the same or they may not. I’m glad we have options for sure especially when we have a back order situation.
However it may not be fair to them or in the best taste to compare it as the “same” as what a trusted vendor is selling us. They support this forum and have earned our trust and respect. I appreciate having options and don’t blame anyone for making choices but I cringe when I see someone comparing an Amazon find to an item from a trusted vendor. It might truly be the same and it might not.

For me, when I replaced the entire fuel system, I added a later model fuel pump that has the fuel return line at the pump vs in the carb.

Ok, wasn’t aware the later models moved the fuel return to the pump. Thanks for sharing that.

@70 FJ40, I’d hesitate to consider these on par with the Fujis too, but I’m just looking for something cheap while waiting for my OEM carb.

FJ40 2F Carb Recommendation!!!!!!!
I purchased this carb off of Amazon for $81.88 and just installed it. BAM! worked perfect! Best my FJ has run in 15 years!
It appears to be the exact same one City Racer sells for $295 (and is backordered on).

Differences:
  1. Completely desmogged - only vacuum for timing advance; no TP; no EGR ports, etc.
  2. Connector for fuel solenoid has a different connector, I used a female spade bit on the FJ40 factory harness.
  3. No return fuel line.
  4. Choke cable end connector is 81+ type; so you need to 1/4" barrel (Amazon has assortment kits for under $5). I typically rigged with a nut and bolt.
Started right up, ran fine! Just need to tune idle mixture and speed screws. I started the idle mix at 2.5 turns out. It would stall at 1.5 turns out with the choke off.

Amazon product ASIN B089Y7GWND
I know this was over a year ago but I just bought one of these carbs to try while I figure out why my oem wont run properly. I think Ill send off my oem one for a professional rebuild and use the Mostplus one until I do that. Then just use the most plus as a backup. It looks to be pretty good quality. We will see how it goes.
IMG_7381.JPG

I know this was over a year ago but I just bought one of these carbs to try while I figure out why my oem wont run properly. I think Ill send off my oem one for a professional rebuild and use the Mostplus one until I do that. Then just use the most plus as a backup. It looks to be pretty good quality. We will see how it goes.View attachment 3601936
put gas in the float bowl and in the tank and it started right up after one pump of the pedal. still need to adjust with a vacuum gage and tac but it seems pretty great.

That is very interesting that it doesn’t recommend non-ethanol gasoline. Would love to know why.
Ethanol eats old school rubber mixtures. Guessing that there is seals being used that won’t tolerate ethanol well.

Ethanol eats old school rubber mixtures. Guessing that there is seals being used that won’t tolerate ethanol well.
Yeah, that's why I think it's odd that it wants gasoline with ethanol. Or maybe I read that wrong.

I run ethanol-free in everything I own that has a carb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom