New 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ73 Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No I haven’t but I’m sure it’s not great for it. Wish there was a good tire carrier bumper for these but I haven’t found one that can be sourced in the US or shipped reasonably.

Kaymar's are excellent, but the wings may be too long for the short wheel base 70 series. ExitOffroad offers Dobinson rear bumpers for LWB 70 series, which are decent, but the side wings would need to be cut down/modified to fit a 73.

But there is the very nice US sourced/made bumper available for a 73 from @cruiseroutfit with a wait. This is probably the most thought out, user friendly rear bumper on the market:

That cruiser outfitter bumper looks perfect. Thank you sir.
If I didn't have a bumper already, that is the one I would get. There may or may not be a coffee can collecting loose change for a future swap. The idea of not having to latch and unlatch the tire carrier and/or jerry can holder every time one wants to access the back grows on one quickly.

I saw one in person and it bends your brain, watching someone just jerk that rear door open without moving the tire carrier. You're like "NOO!!" imagining the door going crunch, but it all just glides out of the way. You open it and close it, over and over, until someone snaps you out of your trance.

Kaymar's are excellent, but the wings may be too long for the short wheel base 70 series.
@Flynn modified an 76 series Kaymar bar for his 73. The wings did have to be trimmed back but it looks good.

CE02DCC6-ACE4-4AD2-908A-2F4EC2348C05_1_105_c.jpeg

Are there any mods needed to installing one besides what needs to be done to the doors?

Hit up the guys at Cruiser Outfitters, but not from what I saw - the bumper and swing out are integrated and it bolts to the door. It's adjusted with a really elegant turnbuckle arrangement. I'm not sure it's something I would want to install myself, but like I said it's adjustable so it may not be complicated. Once on, you have the double strength of both bumper and door holding the tire, plus the ease of a single opening motion with the door handle.

I saw one in person and it bends your brain, watching someone just jerk that rear door open without moving the tire carrier. You're like "NOO!!" imagining the door going crunch, but it all just glides out of the way. You open it and close it, over and over, until someone snaps you out of your trance.

The cruiser outfitters bumper is a nice bumper indeed. Would have gotten one in a heartbeat if the wings were longer for the 77 series. One of the reasons I don't use the swingouts installed on my kaymar is because of possible door damage as you mentioned above.

I also recommend getting the tire off the door mount. My rear door definitely started coming loose when my 33" spare was mounted there.

I got my rear bumper w/swingout from 4x4 Labs. I really like the protection and departure angle on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom