Builds Never ending build thread... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well if you have been following my other thread "Need some advice". I pulled the trigger and bought the 2nd LC that I looked at on Wednesday.

I am really happy with the choice I made. It does have some issues that do need attention, leaking PS, leaking valve cover gasket, loose belts, rear lock does not work, rear cargo lamp is missing the lever. "D" for drive on gauge cluster does not light up, rest of dash light are dim, window gaskets need replacing, those are just some of the issues that I have noted. It also came with the maintenance records from the 2 POs.

Issues like the rear lock not working I am sure that is the op rod that has come off. The lock tumblers are gritty but will flush them out with some WD40 or other lubricant, the cargo lamp I will probably just replace the assembly, the "D" on the gauge cluster has been replaced in the past but I will just probably change it again.

But here are some pictures from Wednesday when I went and looked at it. I will take some more pictures tomorrow and post them here too.

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

qc1994.jpg

Cloth interior ftw.

Tell Eric your engine is better than his is.

Congratulations! Looks like someone took care of it for the interior to be so clean. No roof rack is also nice. Welcome to the party!

Congratulations! Looks like someone took care of it for the interior to be so clean. No roof rack is also nice. Welcome to the party!

Thank you sir. Not sure how I like it without the roof rack but I will live with it.

I think i have a spare dome light, i know i have one missing its knob, but may have another.

Congrats on your new ride, glad it worked out.

Lack of a roof rack means no leaks to worry about, no holes requiring mediation of corrosion or welding/ screws/ silicone to seal up. You can add an aftermarket rack should you need one in the future. Many quality vendors on here who provide racks with better utility and looks IMHO.

I look forward to watching the build.

Official Mud welcome now that the rig is in your drive :flipoff2:!

Good choice....

Looks great! Sounds like it's got a lot of sand and other grit building up. I would take it to a car wash and get the whole thing washed down so you can start looking for the other leaks it has. Check the knuckles, probably has a crank seal leak and oil pump cover leak, PS could just need a fluid exchange and a top off but it's another common leak with lots of threads devoted to it.

Think about new rubber in the engine bay, but for sure the PCV hose and valve and the other easy to reach hoses. Do a full cooling system inspection and flush and fill with green before you do anything else.

Welcome to the team!

Looks great! Sounds like it's got a lot of sand and other grit building up. I would take it to a car wash and get the whole thing washed down so you can start looking for the other leaks it has. Check the knuckles, probably has a crank seal leak and oil pump cover leak, PS could just need a fluid exchange and a top off but it's another common leak with lots of threads devoted to it.

Think about new rubber in the engine bay, but for sure the PCV hose and valve and the other easy to reach hoses. Do a full cooling system inspection and flush and fill with green before you do anything else.

Welcome to the team!

Green thought it was red? I will take it and power wash it this weekend.

Thanks for the input I will add that to my "To Do List"...

Here is a picture of it from this morning...

IMG_1917.JPG

Last edited:
Green thought it was red? I will take it and power wash it this weekend.

Thanks for the input I will add that to my "To Do List"...
Nah, green is fine. Everyone says so now. Nobody is holding out saying red is better. Green is much more available and affordable and the main point is to flush and inspect the entire cooling system and think about the rubber hoses involved. Has the PHH been done?

To be honest I am not sure about the PHH

To be honest I am not sure about the PHH
Do that as part of your inspection if it hasn't been done with Gates Green Stripe and the Breeze constant torque clamps. That hose and the "almost PHH, next to PHH" hose are the Achilles Heel of the 80 and after a life in the desert, I would want to be sure my cooling system was up to snuff. Be sure the fan clutch is functioning properly too. Beyond that, just enjoy the rig and let it tell you what it needs as you go along.

You drove over the curb!:eek: The traditional first picture should have been in it's native habitat,,, the gas station!:hillbilly:

Do that as part of your inspection if it hasn't been done with Gates Green Stripe ...

Heater hose, :meh:.

and the Breeze constant torque clamps. ...

I toss those huge, heavy things straight in the recycle, much prefer the factory spring clamps.

That hose and the "almost PHH, next to PHH" hose are the Achilles Heel of the 80 and after a life in the desert, I would want to be sure my cooling system was up to snuff. Be sure the fan clutch is functioning properly too. Beyond that, just enjoy the rig and let it tell you what it needs as you go along.

Agree, inspect and do what is needed. People get all spun up about the PHH, here most often the highest priority is the heater valve.

Heater hose, :meh:.

I toss those huge, heavy things straight in the recycle, much prefer the factory spring clamps.

Agree, inspect and do what is needed. People get all spun up about the PHH, here most often the highest priority is the heater valve.
Just do the PHH. How you do it is up to you. I went with silicone hose and the Breeze clamps and I have no regrets. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom