Need help with Steering box install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got a rebuilt steering box from CruiserParts. Got it all installed but when I went to hook up the lines the return line hole was too small. The high pressure line went in with no problem but the return line hole is too small. Can I just get a new return line with a smaller fitting? Should I send the box back? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If their listing for the gearbox says it will fit your truck but it doesn't, that's their fault and they should send you one that does.

If you ordered the wrong gearbox, then you're stuck with it unless they'll swap it out.

If you're stuck with it, ask them what thread size it is or try to buy a used return line from them that will fit.

Last edited:
I ordered it over the phone. They were very easy to deal with and shipped it fast. I had no idea that the steering boxes had different thread sizes or I would have said something when ordering. I thought the only difference was the bolt pattern for the early ones vs. later ones. I'll probably just get the hard return line the connects to the rubber hose. Seems like the simplest solution.

The soft return line slides over a metal "J" tube, which I'm 99.99% is the same for all FJ60 years. I think you got the wrong box, although I don't what it would be off of. Does anyone know if the late FJ40 boxes are the same bolt pattern and pitman arm as the early FJ60 boxes but with a smaller return port?

The new box looks exactly like the old one with the exception of the smaller return line hole. The high pressure one is the same size. Curious if anybody has any information on this?

As far as I'm aware all Toyota truck PS boxes should be threaded M16x1.5 for the high pressure and M17x1.5 for the return.

My old box has the same thread for both holes

**UPDATE**

@cruisermatt is correct, my original PS Box is M16x1.5 for the high pressure and M17x1.5 for the return. The one CruiserParts sent is M16x1.5 for the high pressure and M14x1.5 for the return. Not sure why there is a difference but Josh at CruiserParts is going to send me a return line to fit it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom