NEED HELP BUYING ASAP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

First time posting on here/first time on an auto forum in general/first time buyer. I’m currently looking at purchasing a 1997 Lexus LX450 that I’d like to turn into an overlanding/camping rig. The inside and external body is in near mint condition, however I’m uncertain as to the quality of the undercarriage. There is definitely some surface rust which is expected on a 20 year old truck, but to be honest I’m really not well educated on how much rust is too much, where I should specifically be looking for rust, and what I can do when I have the truck to take care of rust. I’m going to leave a link to a video at the bottom of this post that gives you a good look at the underside. If anyone could help me out, I would be so thankful. I’m really looking for a thumbs up or a thumbs down as far as if I should purchase, and just some information in general about what might be wrong with the truck from what you all can see in this video.

Thanks!1997 Lexus LX450 undercarriage

Depends on price. Where I live, that's "Rust Free"

Running boards, take off and toss in the trash if you are "overlanding" - rest of the underneath is not that bad and is fixable.

It has Lockers so that is a plus in my book and if body/inside is clean - again depending on price, I would buy it.

I don't expect any rust on my trucks. I'd pass on it but I'm sure others will chime in.

Thanks Ben! I appreciate the response. They’re currently asking $13,550 for the truck. If I were to buy it what would I need to do to get the truck in proper condition under there? (Sorry if this is a dumb question)

Hey everyone,

First time posting on here/first time on an auto forum in general/first time buyer. I’m currently looking at purchasing a 1997 Lexus LX450 that I’d like to turn into an overlanding/camping rig. The inside and external body is in near mint condition, however I’m uncertain as to the quality of the undercarriage. There is definitely some surface rust which is expected on a 20 year old truck, but to be honest I’m really not well educated on how much rust is too much, where I should specifically be looking for rust, and what I can do when I have the truck to take care of rust. I’m going to leave a link to a video at the bottom of this post that gives you a good look at the underside. If anyone could help me out, I would be so thankful. I’m really looking for a thumbs up or a thumbs down as far as if I should purchase, and just some information in general about what might be wrong with the truck from what you all can see in this video.

Thanks!1997 Lexus LX450 undercarriage

UPDATE TO ORIGINAL POST: Here is a video showing the outside and interior of the truckLexus LX450 external & interior

Well, you can easily get another 200K in miles out of it with Preventive Maintenance. As I said the little bit of rust would not scare me on the underside. Look in the wheelwells real good and see if there is any rust on the inside lip. Also look inside the rear plastic covers in the rear rocker panels on the inside to see if there is any "hidden Rust" (driver side should have a spot to pull a cover off to look in). Also look around the windshield rubber gaskets front and rear for any signs of "rust bubbles".

Price is high in my opinion, but it is clean in my opinion as well (granted I am stuck in WI and everything has rust).

Well, you can easily get another 200K in miles out of it with Preventive Maintenance. As I said the little bit of rust would not scare me on the underside. Look in the wheelwells real good and see if there is any rust on the inside lip. Also look inside the rear plastic covers in the rear rocker panels on the inside to see if there is any "hidden Rust" (driver side should have a spot to pull a cover off to look in). Also look around the windshield rubber gaskets front and rear for any signs of "rust bubbles".

Price is high in my opinion, but it is clean in my opinion as well (granted I am stuck in WI and everything has rust).

Thank you so much for all that information, I really appreciate it man. If you were buying the truck, what price do you think you’d feel more comfortable at? From what everyone has said so far, seems like 13,5xx is definitely too high

I'd offer them 8-10K at the most. The rig would last at least another 20 years and 200K in my opinion depending on how well you take care of it. It looks like its at a dealer, so I am sure they got it on trade for probably 6K if they even gave the PO that much.

Its got lockers and if they work, I'd add some dollar value to that, if they don't work and flash, then you have some bargaining power.

For the rust you either have to scrape it, wire brush it or blast it off and you honestly won't get to all of it ever. - I'd knock the chunks off, prime it and paint it black/flat black underneath. Then after its painted use that woolworth or some other rust prevention to keep it from coming back.

Way too much work to get that rust addressed correctly. I’m sure there are certain parts of the country where folks are used to that much rust but I wouldn’t touch it. The likelihood of more rust hiding in the fenders and window rubber is high.

There are too many clean trucks out there for much less $$$.

I recently paid $6k for a locked ‘96 with 200k on it. Straight and clean and rust free.

I'd look here in our local classifieds. This one is a good example and is in AL and is way less expensive

Never mind, already sold

I'd look here in our local classifieds. This one is a good example and is in AL and is way less expensive

Never mind, already sold

It's all good! I appreciate you looking out! I'll keep looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom