Need Advice: Rivet Nut Install Tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
these tools are a more convenient system than a plain bolt and a nut but basically do the same thing, so any normal rivnut should hopefullly work with any reasonable tool and v-v, I would think. Of course, the diameter and thread pitch need to match.

I have one from McMaster-Car which is top notch for 10mm nutserts which were needed for my subtank strap mounts. That said, I bought from my local Ace Hardware a really cheap 1/4" tool for light-duty work, and it has held up quite well.

The tool in you pic looks decent, just would need a bit of clearance to use, where the wrench/socket ones are quite compact.

If you are not doing a ton of these, you may want to consider the less-expensive tools.

I've got one of the Astra Pneumatics from Amazon. Only installed a few rivnuts so far but seems to work fine. Came w/ an assortment of metric/English mandrels and nuts. Not sure about brand interchangeability but they look the same as any others I've seen.

I appreciate the product review. Have you used it for 1/4"-20 size? The install tools that look like pliers make me think swaging a 1/4 nut would be tough. Probably fine for #10 size.

Jim,

I have an Astro Tool and the type you use wrenches on. The Astro works great for 1/4- 20 bolts and many other sizes. I believe the rivet nuts are common to all. The Astro only works if you have the room to get it where you need it, but if you're doing a lot of them like custom cargo panels, they're a arm and time saver. The small wrench/nut type tool also works well, but easier to screw up and is time consuming. Really should have both types. Problem with the wrench/nut type is you need to buy a new tool for each size rivet nut you use. With the Astro you just change the mandrel.

Check my prior posts on this subject, I have a ditty on installing rivnuts with hand tools.

Check my prior posts on this subject, I have a ditty on installing rivnuts with hand tools.

Thanks.

Before I posted this thread I did a title search for the terms: rivet nut, rivnut, and nutsert and came up with an empty sack. Same result just now.

The search function on discussion forums is a mystery to me. I'll try again.

I appreciate the product review. Have you used it for 1/4"-20 size? The install tools that look like pliers make me think swaging a 1/4 nut would be tough. Probably fine for #10 size.

I've done several 1/4 and 5/16 w/ no problems. Never used the wrench method but was a little surprised how easily they compressed with the Astro. Maybe just the leverage provided by the tool but I am curious to eventually try some nuts from a different source like McMaster Carr.

I have a Marson thread-sert kit, ~$75 from Summit, works really well. I have a mandrel for 1/4-20 inserts, I've used it many times (along with mandrels for #8 and #10 inserts).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom