NC LX becomes NC LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Red Head is a pretty cool company. They do rebuilds and stock a ton of sector steering stuff.

Experience with them was A+ They have a really cool process where they can add material to the sector shaft and then put it on a lathe and bring it back within spec.

Experience with them was A+ They have a really cool process where they can add material to the sector shaft and then put it on a lathe and bring it back within spec.
Spray welding? Neat process.

Put some garage time in over the weekend. Modified a 4xInnovations swing out to fit the 60.
IMG_6822.jpeg

37s we’re getting a little loud, so I changed them out for some new running shoes. Mickey Thompson 255x85 r17 Baja Boss At. Size comes out to 35x10.00.

Mounted them just in time for the Arctic weather that has blown through. Truck seems much happier with a lot less rolling mass.
IMG_6855.jpeg

In other news… fuel pump died this morning taking Brit to work. Luckily it died just past my mailbox, Time to move the pump in the tank.

Last edited:
Me, Ezra and Sami Caught up with the upstate guys 2 weeks ago on a quick trip. Coming from the ice at home to the 75 degree weather was welcomed. Logged 1009 uneventful miles from when I left Friday and pulled back in the driveway Sunday.
IMG_6947.jpeg

IMG_6935.jpeg

At some point in time in December I was in Tennessee buying a finish mower. While I was waiting on the guy I came across a set of Recaros new in the box steeply discounted. This was the first trip with real seat time. Driver fatigue didn’t set in and my back didn’t hurt. 10/10 would recommend.
IMG_7001.jpeg

Last edited:
What model are those seats? They look awesome.
Recaro Expert M. The Expert M has low bolsters so perfect for sliding in and out of the 60.

I’m always watching the market for an old Porsche. Luckily it paid off and I knew what the seats were when they popped up.

Just a few thoughts from the old man in me. Recently got asked about the best things I’ve done to the 60.

Probably worth its own thread but I’ll add this for anyone that has just bought an old 60 and falls into this thread. ( mostly talking to the 16 yr old me’s out there that wants to lift it and everything else can wait) Take it for what it’s worth.

Assuming your 60 is caught up on maintenance and you just want to make it more enjoyable to drive and enjoy. Here my….Top 3 Favorite mods that are some of the best money I’ve invested. And would be the first things I changed/do again.

1. Fuel injection. I went with Howell for the simple reason, it was available, it’s not sexy and tunable like sniper but it just works. It simplifies the engine and just works. I’ll say it again. It just works. No more messing with choke. I know carbs are simple and your grandpa can adjust with a screw driver on the side of the road going uphill in a snow storm… if that’s your grandpa, stop reading now and go hang out with him now. Those guys are disappearing and you should absorb everything you can from him. For the rest of us, there’s a reason OEM isn’t running carbs any more.

2.steering box and linkage. Replace everything. Just do it. 60s are now 35-40 yrs old, And the parts are worn. If your 60 feels like your pushing a wet noodle down the road and trying to keep it in the lane, you especially. Chances are new TRE the the previous owner replaced is now being worn prematurely because the other side looked fine. Replace it all at the same time, don’t let the old parts wear out the new parts. Even though it feels ok, you don’t even realize how bad it actually is. TRE and Steering boxes are a great way to bust your knuckles and shed some blood. If you haven’t bled yet, you’re doing it wrong. Speaking of steering boxes, don’t neglect it. After 30 years it needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Chances are it’s never been replaced and the slop you feel in the wheel is in the box. Ive replaced several from different places and the one I recently had Redhead rebuild has been the best by far. Recently drove through Atlanta and didn't feel like a cat on a hot tin roof.

3. Seats. Invest into your back and/or driver experience. My back hurts a lot and I’ve stared at the Sheelmans for years. Never could bring my self to pull the plug. Luckily I came across the comparable Recaros that I recently installed. They didn’t leave me with the back pain that always lingers after a few hours. If I had known how much of a difference the seats would have made I would have spent the money right away. I won’t ever have an older car with out upgraded seats ever again.

This is the top 3 things that have added value to my life and made my 60 drivability better. Yes, these are expensive, and 60s aren’t cheap. If you’re not willing accept this Toyota makes a nice car called a Corolla. I hear they’re cheap to keep on the road will get you A to B just fine for years to come.

I’m still going to add a Light bar first. Haha

While I’m at it.
How much lift do I need in my 60 to fit 35” tires. Hahahaha

I’m still going to add a Light bar first. Haha

While I’m at it.
How much lift do I need in my 60 to fit 35” tires. Hahahaha
Don’t forget to run to power wire from Walmart amp kit through the door jamb for your 2 12s.

I’ve been collecting parts for the last year. Time to make it public and get it done after Relic Run. Picked up the last major Piece of the puzzle today.
5.3 with a 6l90

IMG_7214.jpeg

IMG_7198.jpeg

120k Silverado 5.3 with 799 heads. Last week it was in the truck and I was able to put eyes on it running. Nothing exciting or sexy it going to happen. Just the basics for reliability. I’m going to send the heads out to be freshened up. Motor will new gaskets with dod delete.

Trans has 3k from a 2022 3500 van. I’m gonna change the 36 spline shaft to a 4wd 29 spline shaft to run the advanced adapters 6l90 to 19spline LC case.
Holley Terminator max is going to control it with there 6l90 tans controller. Other goodies from Mosley, cruiser Matt, Amazon, and summit, I should have everything I need…. Except for exhaust and driveshafts. I feel confident I have 99.9% of everything.

Plan is to do a 1week swap from the time I pull the 2F.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom