Mystery Holes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've owned this truck for a week now. Half the fun is poking around and learning the legend first hand. Need to do some research by VIN, but told that original owner was a merchant marine, contanerized the FJ, and rolled it out once he got to his ports of call.

So to the question: Any ideas on what these two sets of 4 holes might have been used for? Assume not factory...

Cheers,
LR

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That sounds like a good call, I thought they might be too far back in behind the winch for lights… That said, a lot of weight on the front for a hi-lift with that brute of a winch (Desert Dynamics; something else I need to sort, unused for probably 25yrs). No signs of installation of anything on the back for counter weight.

image.jpg
image.png
Speaking of rust...I've started work on battling that. Until I come up with real coin for body and paint, I've done the poor man's solution....wait for it, I sprayed most of the exterior and some of the interior with PB Corrosion Stop. Granted, the girl next door is not the most observant, but she thought I'd painted it already...

See the before picture, when still at PO's.

Agree. Think these are better known as "Rust Generators" plug them and seal them real good

Plan on it. All considering, holes have been that way for what I think to be 25yrs... Truck has been in FL since then, so not a bad home for WX. TX or AZ might be better, but not without AC in the rig!

Those holes Look almost right for a hasp. If he was a merchant he probably had something locked on to the front to keep it from being pilfered.

I would be surprised if anything was wrong with the DD winch... Wormgear winches are great winches... Yours is probably 9k as most were ... And if you do have issues piercesales in TX might have replacement parts to fit the older design wormgear winch you got

And you don't have that much weight in front... I got a pierce Wormgear 12.5k mounted on 1/4" plate above the frame rails and that's sitting on 1/2" plate that covers the open area between the frame with a steel channel bumper... I think your just fine to put more stuff up there with your winch LOL :)

image.jpeg

That's why the top comes off... just sayin'!

And so it begins; top off means, more demand for whole family trips and rear bench and three-point in rear and full soft top (not just bikini) and family cage and replace suspension, and...and.... Thanks, you just built my case for CINC-H (Commander in Chief- Home)...LoL!

I would be surprised if anything was wrong with the DD winch... Wormgear winches are great winches... Yours is probably 9k as most were ... And if you do have issues piercesales in TX might have replacement parts to fit the older design wormgear winch you got

And you don't have that much weight in front... I got a pierce Wormgear 12.5k mounted on 1/4" plate above the frame rails and that's sitting on 1/2" plate that covers the open area between the frame with a steel channel bumper... I think your just fine to put more stuff up there with your winch LOL :)

View attachment 1259695

Roger, thanks for that! Still will need new suspension. Mine are just short of flat....what do you think of this setup from Urban Land Cruisers out of ATL?

Urban Land Cruisers LLC | Suspension

if you search long enough here on MUD, you will find an ugly story involving them . . .

go with current MUD vendors and recommendations made here - X2 on Kurt at cruiseroutfitters

Plan on it. All considering, holes have been that way for what I think to be 25yrs... Truck has been in FL since then, so not a bad home for WX. TX or AZ might be better, but not without AC in the rig!

That's why the top comes off... just sayin'!

Don't need A/C in AZ if you stay at 7,000' during the summer and then down in the desert during the winter. :grinpimp:

As for the holes very well may have been for some kind of lights years ago and then removed when the winch was added. Unless you know all the history of the cruiser can't say what was added when and when something was removed. By now most 40 have a lot of undocumented history. I always like the for sale ads claiming it came from AZ. FJ40s have moved around a lot over the years with plenty of rust buckets spending time in AZ.

G
Don't need A/C in AZ if you stay at 7,000' during the summer and then down in the desert during the winter. :grinpimp:

As for the holes very well may have been for some kind of lights years ago and then removed when the winch was added. Unless you know all the history of the cruiser can't say what was added when and when something was removed. By now most 40 have a lot of undocumented history. I always like the for sale ads claiming it came from AZ. FJ40s have moved around a lot over the years with plenty of rust buckets spending time in AZ.
Good advice. Will look at MUD vendors: Think I'm a light to medium duty suspension to support potential weight gain. If I'm being realistic, 90% improved road use, with capability to do some wheeling off road. Not looking to get jacked into rock crawling for example. So no more than 2" lift and good road manners with some longevity.

The first Urban Land Cruiser LLC Google review sums them up nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom