Mysterious noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

oya

Threads
We just rebuilt both knuckles and replaced front rotors and pads. There was always this noise, but light. Now it's consistant. We think it's coming from the rear of the rig. Here's a link of a video of the underside with the sound. We can do more if it's not clear enough. Thank you!

The dust shields all seem to be in place. I was thinking maybe the drive shaft

Sounds like a noise associated with the drive shaft. Sounds like when a hollow, metal tube is is being tapped with a light but hard object. If it has been degrading then you may have a dry U-joint that is on its way out.

Last edited:
It definitely changes with the speed of the vehicle so thats a start for narrowing it down, Like Baldilocks said just sounds like a loose piece of metal banging against a moving part like the U-joint. Have you checked anything loose around the brakes? hopefully the brake pad mount isnt about to break, as replacing pads could have made it it worse...
Does the noise also happen in reverse?

Pretty sure that's a u joint.

It does do it in reverse and also seems to do it slightly in N (I'll try again in N to make sure).

I did grease some, but not all those fittings in the U joint. They were difficult to get to and not like the fittings I'm used to on say a commercial lawn mower.

If it is the U joint can it be resolved with grease?

here's the sound getting worse! I did manage to grease the fittings. I saw the yoke move about 1 cm.

The yoke moved 1cm????? Doubtful. Even if it moved a hair, you have an issue there. I'm betting that U-joint is dry and galled up inside.

What year truck? Sounds like the front ujoint hitting the exhaust pipe just in front of the muffler. Is your exhaust mount just behind the catalytic converter's still holding, or is it broken?

It moved i tell ya! Not much but it moved. It may be super dry and messed up in there. I wish I knew.

Definitely not the exhaust. Its a 96 Previous owner had put in an exhaust thats tucked up and out of the way for off roading and water.

Not really sure where to go from here. Maybe take the ds off and take it apart?

It moved i tell ya! Not much but it moved. It may be super dry and messed up in there. I wish I knew.

Definitely not the exhaust. Its a 96 Previous owner had put in an exhaust thats tucked up and out of the way for off roading and water.

Not really sure where to go from here. Maybe take the ds off and take it apart?
Do you have an option??

Sounds like that old trick of ziptie'ing a washer on the driveshaft. lol. I would get under the truck and really spend some time looking for anything that could possibly be hitting the driveshafts. Metal shields, old wiring, O2 sensors, anything. If that doesn't work I would pull the driveshafts and replace the U-joints.

The second one confirmed to me it's a u joint. Lock your CDL, Take off the DS in question and replace the joints. Do both since you have it out.

Check that the e-brake components are lubricated in the proper spots, and everything is tensioned correctly. just solved a similar noise in my 100 that way.

Sounds like uni joint to me too. The other thing it sounds like is possibly the pressed metsl dust cap on the diff pinion. I've seen these get slightly bent and rub on the diff housing

If it's uni joints it's well beyond being helped by grease.
It's easy to pull the drive shaft out and try rotating the uni joint, it should rotate smoothly in every direction. You'll know straight away if it's stuffed.

I couldnt find anything loose thats rubbing so like everyoned saying its probably the u joint, but i will double check again when i have a chance.

As a diagnostic would it be ok to remove the rear ds lock the center diff pull the fuse and drive down essentially only using on the front drive shaft? And see that the noise is eliminated.

Also when it comes to fixibg the ds would it be recommended to replace the spider clips races or just say buy a drive shaft off ebay?

Thanks again

I couldnt find anything loose thats rubbing so like everyoned saying its probably the u joint, but i will double check again when i have a chance.

As a diagnostic would it be ok to remove the rear ds lock the center diff pull the fuse and drive down essentially only using on the front drive shaft? And see that the noise is eliminated.

Also when it comes to fixibg the ds would it be recommended to replace the spider clips races or just say buy a drive shaft off ebay?

Thanks again

Yes on DS removal and lock CDL and drive.

Just change the U-Joints. A hammer, A vise, A few sockets as driving tools, and a screwdriver. Oh, and a couple wrenches to pull it. Not a big deal.

Removed the rear DS immediately realized back end of DS only moving in one direction. Then I locked the CDL pulled the 30a diff fuse, shifted back to 4H. Drove it a 1/4 mile.

No noise!

Thanks for everyone for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom