My Single Circuit Brake UpGrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landcrusher909

Athlete/Race truck driver/Hobbyist
Threads
It was time to upgrade the brakes on our 1967 FJ 45 LWB, I have been kicking around the idea of making our own adapter and after talking to a buddy :hmm: ( Cherry Valley Joe ) I expaling what I wanted to do. Use a later FJ40 Duel Circuit Master Cylinder ( Still runnning drum brakes ) and not have to cut the fire wall and still keep the stock air cleaner. Well here is what we came up with.
small_DSCN3289.JPG

that looks somewhat similar to what Mark A came up with.

FJ40 Girl came by the house today and gave me a hand. First we removed the old Single circuit Master Cylinder
small_DSCN3278.JPG
small_DSCN3280.JPG
small_DSCN3281.JPG

Allen head bolts are used to attach the adapter to the fire wall we have recessed the top to clear the lip on the firewall.
small_DSCN3290.JPG
small_DSCN3291.JPG

For mounting the Master Cylinder Joe drilled and tapped the adapter and we have a machine fit centering the Master Cylinder on the adapter. As you can see we have no problem clearing the Carb and the stock Air Cleaner. I have a 1974 1F in my 45 so this would also work on the earlier 40's and 45's running the stock motors.
small_DSCN3292.JPG
small_DSCN3293.JPG
small_DSCN3294.JPG

Nice job! How does it work

I will let you know tommorow after I finish bleeding the brakes and get the driveshafts on I also upgraded the axle to a 1974 FJ40 axle after installing new brake lines
small_DSCN3287.JPG
small_DSCN3288.JPG

That poor pristine truck.......................whats next a roll cage and tube bumpers..............

That poor pristine truck.......................whats next a roll cage and tube bumpers..............

I dont know about tube bumpers but I did just order a set of air bags for the rear :flipoff2:

I like it!
It's just extraordinary looking at a dual circuit master cylinder all mounted up without a booster though.

Nice work, Rob. When you finally install the booster and 4WD, it will be even better!

nice shorts! :grinpimp:

Shorts???? They look like longs!!! :lol:

I dont know about tube bumpers but I did just order a set of air bags for the rear :flipoff2:

Are you still going to use modified Chevy trailing arms with the airbags and eliminate the rear spring packs?

why do you want to keep the drum brakes?
I am planning on upgrading to disk down the road
I am very interested in how it works for you. FYI, I found this link a few weeks ago..
https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/456785-brake-master-option-early-fj40.html

Yea I thats a great upgrade, I wanted to make an easy switch and still use the factory Master Cylinder. Today I got everything bolted up had to wait for the wife to get home to bleed the brakes, Ended up making a longer push rod and everything is working great. Tommorow I will be able to get the drive shafts on and everything buttoned up for a test drive :steer: Looking back I remember Mark A. using or posting something up about brake line connectors That would have made plumbing the brake lines alot easier.

Looks great! glad you got it working! I like your adapter did you just use the factory front line and just eliminate the "T" at the right front, and just route the rear line over the fire wall there? I just bought the JT Outfitters Adapter and I aquired a 1971 FJ40 dual M/C so hopefully I will be installing this tonight...but after looking at your pics, it doesn't look like there is alot of room at all for that brake booster. We'll see... other than that I need to buy a few fittings to make sure I have enough for this...I'll let ya know how it goes

JT outfitters toyota M/C adapter

Ok I have figured out that the brake fittings are M9x1.0 so I bought a pack of them, and a union for the front right to separate it from the rear. Got the MC bolted up to the bracket (had to relocate the factory drop in filter to the fender) now I am just working on extending the push rod. Lowes didn't have M10x1.25 all thread so I'll have to weld some nuts&bolts together...
IMG%5F0539

I just re-drilled my firewall to fit the master cylinder when I did mine for my '63, I also didn't use a booster. I didn't have access to a mill at the time, if I was to do it now I'd fire up the Bridgeport 2J I have access to and whittle one out like that. Looks good.

I have been asked lately about the upgrade I did to the 45 almost 9 years ago. I have to say its work out perfect i did upgrade to disk brakes in the front and so far we have logged in thousands of miles with no issues. I have moved on from selling the adapter plates there still available from Georg @orangefj45 at Valley Hybrids.

IMG_20180714_121137417 (2).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom