My second best mod yet. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like a great way to eventually lock your keys in your truck.

Not really

The 20 second timer on mine only works if I disarm the alarm and don't open any of the doors :cool:

Otherwise, it doesn't lock automatically, so there's no fear of locking the keys inside :)

And even if I somehow managed to do that, I have a hidden spare key on the rig ;p

Sounds like a great way to eventually lock your keys in your truck.

I locked the keys in my LS400 when I was doing a pre-purchase inspection. I was checking the vehicle over to make sure everything worked and I intentionally pressed the key FOB to test the door locks. I had the PS door open (all windows up) and pressed the FOB... car locked... Pressed the FOB again, the car unlocked. Good. I tossed the keys on the console and closed the PS door and started inspecting the exterior. A few seconds later I heard "click" and knew I was in trouble. All 4 doors locked tight with key on the console, my phone on the front seat, the LS400 in my garage, and my truck back at the vehicle owner's place. Crap! Went inside to the land line, called the owner and he says there is only ONE key (and it is locked inside the car). Crap!

AAA to the rescue, but it was very embarrassing. :eek:

-B-

NOOB question I just got my 80 (thanks mud & LCWannabe) haven't even changed sig line. Do all 80's with power locks have keyless entry, and if so how much is a fob? Oh yeah mine is a 97 fzj80

NOOB question I just got my 80 (thanks mud & LCWannabe) haven't even changed sig line. Do all 80's with power locks have keyless entry, and if so how much is a fob? Oh yeah mine is a 97 fzj80

Is there an alarm under the driver's seat? A black box with electrical connectors that is zip-tied down on one side? Then you probably have an alarm including keyless entry - it's all in the FAQ

All the LX450's have keyless entry. If your '97 is a Land Cruiser then it might have it as an option but it was not standard. Sean told you how to identify if you have an optional alarm system. However, there were a variety of dealer and port installed devices that provided alarm+keyless or just keyless.

-B-

Thanks I will check I missed it in the FAQ

What brand does anyone have? Mine is hornet with a grey fob

I think I'll try this, too, but the way I (inadvertantly) got way more range than the stock remote was to buy an aftermarket remote on fleabay (from keylessridesoutlet) for about $17 with shipping. Range is waaay longer than the factory remote - works from at least 50+ feet away (vs. stock no more than 10 feet) - and the fob is smaller.

Grey wire extension is cooler... and cheaper.

Bob

I've done the wire mod on 3 of my 80's and love it. Range still varies between them a little, but vastly improved. I would like to find a better place to run the wire because the improved range is not unidirectionally better. I get better range from the PS I'm guessing from the pillar interfering. Tried halfheartedly to stuff wire above headliner, but wasn't satisfied that it was better. Maybe I just need a better fob.:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom