My Recent 1969 FJ55 Purchase / Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After years of looking and never finding an FJ55 with the price vs project involvement I wanted, I landed one close to home. It’s a 1969 and was shipped from Idaho two years ago. The owner changed directions and I think I scored a nice pig. It has been converted to a 350 motor, 350 TD auto transmission, Ford 9” rear end and has a Toyota transfer case/front. Also it has power steering, four wheel power disk brakes, high flow radiator, new exhaust and other upgrades. The bottom is solid so I plan to spray rust inhibitor/ converter underneath and replace the drivers side rocker outer skin and drivers side lower fender and take care of a few other smaller body issues. I’m going to drive it, not make it a museum piece and I plan to find several items such as exterior and interior emblems as it has none, missing dash pieces, passenger side air input duct tube, windshield washer spray head…on and on with little things. Hopefully members can direct me to wear to find such parts.

4590B862-5D6C-49BC-9D54-E0A2FA76EA33.jpeg
90D5B595-15F5-4521-A763-F91E815BC796.jpeg
C0A7D826-34C6-4BE8-B895-CBCAAFCAD84E.jpeg
98E32E53-65AE-4958-877D-904E85934ED1.jpeg

The undercarriage looks good enough to power wash and apply rust inhibitor/preventer. The last two pictures show where the frame was cut but not re-welded. Anyone seen anything like this before and why it was done?

Looks like a PO added a trailer hitch or something. The spare tire mounts under there on a cross bar that you lower the tire with a crank. That isn’t there and the center piece of steel is in its place.

Looks like a PO added a trailer hitch or something. The spare tire mounts under there on a cross bar that you lower the tire with a crank. That isn’t there and the center piece of steel is in its place.
Yes the tire carrier is gone and this is all in its place. On the next picture of the bumper you can see the cut on the frame closest to the bumper.
6A124740-D6E0-4123-A806-9DF650280FB8.jpeg

Okay, I kinda see what’s going on there now. A PO added a receiver through the bumper and added the crossmember in the frame, but couldn’t quite conjure an idea to make it removable and finish it. Don’t think I’d trust it to tow anything as it is right now.
Yes, I guess one might want to remove the bumper at some point. I guess I’ll figure out a bolt on bracket to hold the bumper securely. I now have to figure out where to put the spare tire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom