Builds My new pair of 40s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

got the tranny in

well sorta..... not driving yet

I noticed a crack in the xfer housing. Poser came through with a new housing. Should be here soon. Tranny swap on hold.

Time to read up on transfer (xfer) rebuilds
resto 058.jpg
resto 038.jpg

Last edited:
top resto

found a newer cleaner top with pop windows

panels- sandblast, phospo ospho, sand, primer, rustlolum oil paint "International Tractor Red" (has red tractor on label)
fiberglass top- sand, primer, rustlolum oil paint "semi gloss white"

fyi rustoluem also has John Deere Green or yellow availible at walmart @ $7.25 quart.
resto 053.jpg
resto 015.jpg
fj40 tlc 393.jpg

Last edited:
True Story

When I purchased the 74, I was promised a few boxes of land cruiser parts. Good to his word, the seller came over with a trunk load of nos toyota parts he orderd from sor and never used. UNREAL!!! LOOK AT ALL THIS STUFF

the speaker, springs, rack, zero rust and dog are about the only things he didn't drop off

I found a shopping cart in the woods next door and I keep my goodies in it.
If I spend all my $$$ on the cruiser, I figure I could live out of it.

It will be nice to have all these parts installed on the rig (
fj40 tlc 293.jpg
cart.jpg
ome.JPG

Last edited:
Fricken SWEET! That was one killer deal. Just goes to show you it can happen.
Wife and I bought an 1963 VW European Ragtop back in 1994. Dude worked at the airport and had it stored in a hanger for 10 years before he totally lost interests in the resteration. I talked to him over the phone without seeing the car. Friend and I drove over with a trailer. I paided him 900 bucks. When he opened the hanger door we were both in total shock. Body had zero rust. It was off the pan and everything was takin off. Came with a brand new 40hp engine still on the wooden crate (that alone was worth more then I paided for the whole car). On another crate was a fully rebuilt transaxle. Brand new front lowering beam and all new brakes for the front and rear. A few box loads of brand new oem parts. We got it home and my wife couldnt believe her eyes. I started work right away and by morning we were driving it over to the DVM. :beer: :beer: :beer: I just cant believe this guy didnt finished the job.

You made out as well and its looking great so far and giving me ideas on my LJ20V project. Keep up the awesome work.

Looks great! You've been busy. :beer:

Nice Mel, thats a lot of great work. How long it take you to do all that!

Way to go, your fly'n right through the build up of your cruiser; keep the build up pics coming.

I have been working on the cruiser since MAY. I usually can only squeeze in 90mins of labor per day on the cruiser. Alot of the time , I am running aroundgathering parts. So far, I have not paid anyone to work on it and don't plan on doing so....

I have gotton frustrated more than a few times, but I always seem to figure it out and make some sort of progress on my project. The paint used is OIL based paint. I spray it on with my $20 wal mart gun and small craftsman compressor. I used their white for the top, "internationalred" for the body, and satin black for the undercarrage. I am really trying toget on the road before my upcoming bday

garager.jpg

fj40 tlc 084.jpg

fj40 tlc 119.jpg

Last edited:
paint

This is the paint that came on the truck, not "international red". I will be sanding it down and painting the entire rig soon. I will be using my $20 gun & oil based international red, both availible at wal mart.
fj40.jpg

Last edited:
If I count all the time and money......... it makes it less fun.

SINCE MAY 05 and a few cubic dollars

I got the parts for the transfer case rebuild.....

I think I can I think I can

I took the e brake drum and had it turned.....

I also installed all new parts inside the e brake

I had to use a special bearing for the 4speed tranny output to fit the 3 speed

xfer housing ( rear wheel bearing from a datsun)
xfer in1.jpg
drum.jpg
DSC06728.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom