My new '79 FJ40 build thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No progress by me this week as I am still awaiting the exhaust to be finished... found a couple of leaks and a clogged cat. Reusing the stock muffler, heat shields and hangar as they were in good shape.

Hopefully it will be done this week.

Here's a driveway pose from last week though as well as the work in progress exhaust.View attachment 1581108View attachment 1581109View attachment 1581110View attachment 1581111View attachment 1581112

In the meanwhile, I searched Mud and the Webs but have not been able to find an answer to this, so would anyone happen to know the Toyota or Denso part number and a source for the post cat air temp probe?

Also, my windshield washer pump on the '79 is shot. It was all rusted up so I soaked it in vinegar and cleaned the surface rust off, partly dismantled and manually rotated the gear posts until they were a "crunchy" free. I then cleaned it up and applied 12v. It moves but not enough to push the washer fluid. Is it worth dismantling again and attempting to repair or overhaul? I'm leaning that way right now as I can't seem to find a replacement for it anywhere. This pump has the nozzle built into it NOT on the washer bottle as other years had. I have read that the part is NLA but does anyone know of a source for a new or working washer pump?

I'd prefer to not have replace a perfectly good bottle and wiring harness plug to run the other earlier type that has the nozzle on the bottle.

Thanks

I don’t know the part number for the post cat temp probe but if you want mine you can have it for the cost of shipping.

Great! Thank you. Would you also happen to have the bung that it attaches to?

Unless I missed it I don’t have the bung it attaches to. I’ll double check. Oh and since you’re mailing me those leftovers from your truck I’ll mail this to you and then we’re square!

Almost out of the woods. A lot has been done lately...

New Toyota muffler exhaust pipe is bolted up. Intake and exhaust leaks fixed, exhaust horns sealed and intake welded.
She's running, although not very smoothly. I'm just awaiting a new VSV and gas filter.

Still a lot to do before the Relic Run...
Next up, replacing; spring eye bushings, firewall grommets, rear main seal, brake caliper overhaul, new AC compressor, condensor, evaporator & dryer.

Almost out of the woods. A lot has been done lately...

New Toyota muffler exhaust pipe is bolted up. Intake and exhaust leaks fixed, exhaust horns sealed and intake welded.
She's running, although not very smoothly. I'm just awaiting a new VSV and gas filter.

Still a lot to do before the Relic Run...
Next up, replacing; spring eye bushings, firewall grommets, rear main seal, brake caliper overhaul, new AC compressor, condensor, evaporator & dryer.

Nice Sam! Can't wait to see the progress you've made on your rig

B588C64A-396D-48B2-A6C7-F275CD2347EC.jpeg
6AB69E90-EE5A-415C-8CCB-426585D25566.jpeg
New OEM Toyota exhaust muffler.

catalytic on a 78 fj40?
suppose time does tick;
that and i've spent too much time with diesels.

When did toyota first put a catalytic into an fj40?

B1EBA43E-FDDE-4430-A980-082ACE8CD567.jpeg
73CE186E-24EF-4045-B878-D8FE03412585.jpeg

Well I got some new VSV’s in today from @CityRacer.

The evap side was simple as I just replaced the original one but the distributor side was missing when I got it. So after searching for a complete vacuum routing diagram I plumbed it like this thread My Desmog Keeping HAC Lots of Pics

The 60 has an intake manifold gas filter port with 3 nipples but the ‘79 40 only has two nipples on the gas filter. So I just placed a tee in between.

AAB2BD80-A6C2-4C49-8953-ABC02B00D3F7.jpeg

3BFB003F-7550-4665-9643-0B660D0B4791.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a 6/79. I’ll take some pictures for you this weekend. It would be very helpful to buy a emissions manual. They where available at SOR for maybe $25 a few years back.

2/79 through 7/80 are the odd balls. Welcome to the club. :cheers:

I have a 6/79. I’ll take some pictures for you this weekend. It would be very helpful to buy a emissions manual. They where available at SOR for maybe $25 a few years back.
I have downloaded the 1981 Emissions Manual from Trollhole's website but don't have one for the 79, yet. I used this vacuum parts diagram for the 79 FJ40 but it clearly leaves out one of the vacuum lines on the VSV at top center of the pic
79 FJ40 Vacuum Parts Schematic.jpg

Here you go. If you need more let me know.
92115CD2-126A-48A9-84C8-8401B401FDA5.jpeg
611B336A-62FB-4E5A-B75F-7BA348D75429.jpeg

31E0DCA1-7A6B-4AE2-B017-ABEDD7157663.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom