my MUD-life crisis, 85 4runner (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FYI: Hopkins trailer wiring harness #43315 is plug and play on 1st gen 4runners.
Remove the tail lights and unplug the factory harness from light. Plug Hopkins harness to factory harness & then plug both back into tail lights. No cutting or splicing required. 30 minutes (most of that was routing the wires)

20210625_171134.jpg

20210624_102815.jpg

Kind of a Toyota related Update:
Last summer I drove my 4runner from Texas to Colorado and back towing a 5×10 trailer loaded with two weeks worth of gear.... Not going to lie it sucked. It's doable if I were just me traveling solo, but I like having the spousal unit with me.
This year we'll be traveling in style in a new (to me) Tow Pig.
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Megacab 6.7 Cummins turbo diesel and 6 speed manual G56 transmission.
Things to come: Thuren leveling coils, Fox Shocks & new track bar. 17×8.5 Method Double Standard wheels & 35×12.50r17 tires. *last pic isn't my truck, just the goal I'm shooting for. Looking forward to many trips across country to wheel. 🤙🏼

20220219_212324.jpg

20220220_104245.jpg

20220228_111148.jpg

Screenshot_20220222-231857_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220223-075246_Facebook.jpg

FYI: Hopkins trailer wiring harness #43315 is plug and play on 1st gen 4runners.
Remove the tail lights and unplug the factory harness from light. Plug Hopkins harness to factory harness & then plug both back into tail lights. No cutting or splicing required. 30 minutes (most of that was routing the wires)

View attachment 2713920

View attachment 2713921

I happen chanced to open this thread and low and behold this post was here. I hate wiring and you saved me so much time.

Thanks

Prepping Moab trip in July... the clock is ticking. I found a good deal on a 16' trailer ( I was debating on flat towing vs trailering)
Brake upgrades: New dual diaphragm booster (not pictured) 1" master cylinder & stainless brake lines from Marlin.
I'm hoping for improved braking with just these upgrades? (@pappy) or Anybody else have any experience with just booster & MC upgrades and leaving the rotors & calipers stock? The next step would be IFS hubs, new rotors & calipers, but holding off unit I can test these upgrades. (I'm only on 32's so thinking this should be improvement enough for now 🤷🏼‍♂️)

20220531_193503.jpg

20220523_161908.jpg

20220531_173646.jpg

Last edited:
Prepping Moab trip in July... the clock is ticking. I found a good deal on a 16' trailer ( I was debating on flat towing vs trailering)
Brake upgrades: New booster (not pictured) 1" master cylinder & stainless brake lines from Marlin.
I'm hoping for improved braking with just these upgrades? (@pappy) or Anybody else have any experience with just booster & MC upgrades and leaving the rotors & calipers stock? The next step would be IFS hubs, new rotors & calipers, but holding off unit I can test these upgrades. (I'm only on 32's so thinking this should be improvement enough for now 🤷🏼‍♂️)
The traditional upgrade is to use FJ60 vented rotors and IFS (V6) calipers, keeping your SA hubs. Yes, I thought the upgrade was worth it. Note that your 1" master cylinder doesn't match the solid rotor calipers. The solid rotor calipers are two large pistons, and two small, which match the 7/8" master you had. IFS V6 calipers are 4 large piston. So pedal will feel different.

My biggest bytch with SA rotors is almost immediate fade with bigger rubber.
I like the IFS and big brake thing because it makes maintenance much easier.

I went with T100 front brakes which definitely helped. The biggest noticeable improvement was going with a dual diaphragm booster and master cylinder off a 2nd gen V6 4Runner.

I just noticed that your double cardan rear drive shaft is in backwards of what I'm used to seeing. Does it matter? Any vibration?

@aztoyman
I was in a too big of a hurry when I installed the drive shaft and I installed it backwards. No vibration with initial test runs. The mistake was pointed out to me a short time later and I corrected without issue. The orientation of the slip yoke threw me off... or I could've just read the supplied directions. 😆

20220527_163554.jpg

As far as brakes, my 88 stock wasn't all that great. It sucked when I went to 31's and it was unsafe when I went to 35's.

So I went to the 1995 T100 without ABS (Also 95 4Runner SR5) calipers and rotors. They bolted on. Just had to clearance the backing plate. Stopped WAY better. Still had stock 88 master cylinder and booster.

Then I put a dual diaphragm booster and M/C from a 2nd gen 4Runner with 3.0 and it was put you through the windshield better. I "think" I had to change the push rod ?? I don't remember but, it was an easy swap.

I'm going to try the IFS hubs and Taco swap on my current build mainly to get rid of the wheel spacers.

Good luck on your mods and your Moab trip.

Awesome. Its rare these days to see a basic early 4runner build. I love it. We just picked up an 85 this weekend that is more or less bone stock save a set of 33x10.50 on some painted aftermarket wheels. I would like to get the body back in better shape, but for now, just happy just tooling around in it.

Curious, how is the OME rear setup holding out. The truck we just picked up has what I think are a set of OME stock height springs under it because for a nearly 40 year old truck it has little to no squat. But after seeing your stance, I am debating a similar setup to get it up a little on all 4 corners to clear the 33s a little better. I haven't "tested" the limits, but I did have it flexed out yesterday helping a buddy load up an old truck and I didn't hear or see any signs of rubbing.

Keep up the good work. I need to get a thread started on ours soon.

Moab & Silverton July 2022.
This was my first trip experiencing Moab, the scenery and trails did not disappoint. I put a lot of miles on the 4runner and hit most of the big name trails. The little 4runner handled it all without a hiccup. 🤙🏼

IMG_5827.jpg

Screenshot_20220709-105303_Photos.jpg

20220705_232829.jpg

20220705_164345.jpg

IMG_5661.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom