My long, slow, and possibly painful journey towards a GTurbo.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Ho Silveredition,
Ive recently rebuilt 12HT (500km on new engine) and can report the top ring lands (factory- non alfin) were in poor cond with major ring slap.
Unfortunately dont know engine milage at time of rebuild.

Having recently gone through many of the decisions you are now faced with I have a few comments:
Consider fitting a cheap 2H to get you around while you rebuild 12HT- I stopped counting at $10K, but had a lot of work done.
I have access to a few in Kalgoorlie- where are you. I head to Perth often.
I built 3" dump pipe and engine pipe then connected to 2.5 inch I built previously. cheap job but you need to enjoy MIG welding to do it.
I have a single straight through muffler and no resonance issues in a ute with outlet just behind rear axle. - wagon may be different.
Turbo is the best muffler you will find so dont be afraid to go high flow and low restriction muffler.

Ill try to fit a few photos to this post- No guarantees. give us a yell anytime.
Roly

20160309_215956.jpg

20160309_220038.jpg

20160130_141339.jpg

That looks sweet Roly, nice work!

Gday Roly,
I missed your post until a couple of minutes ago - that engine looks amazing - any chance of sharing some of the gear on it (turbo, intercooler, the car it is in, dyno results??)
Thanks heaps for your offer of help!
I have now completed the swivel hubs, brakes, rear shocks, seat swap, Waeco centre console install, converted high beam to hid, installed a light bar, snorkel install...
The car now has 497000, and apart from wanting to stall when the clutch is depressed (wear inside the inj pump) it is going great!!
I am waiting for the credit card debt to reduce a bit, then will buy a dump pipe and have fun on the mig welder....
Then will sneak an eBay fmic onto the credit card as well..... Shhhhh...

Well, it has been over 5 years since I started this thread, and yesterday I FINALLY picked up my 60 series from getting the engine rebuilt!!
Some pics and more details to come, but I went with the following:
Full rebuild with MLS head gasket
30+ ADS injectors
Modified ADS injector pump
GTurbo Green Wheel at 22psi
PDI Front Mount intercooler

apparently the engine internals were in a very bad way, so it took a fair bit of work...

The power is great!

That's got to feel great after so long!

As for your airbox lid, look into swapping with a late model FZJXX one as they don't bottleneck where it exits the airbox the same way, and have a larger diameter output than your stock one. With a green-wheel Gturbo at 22psi, you'll be choking for air with that airbox lid if it's anything like the 1HD-T.

4e1331080158a6b34dcc8c27c8021431.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom