Builds My LJ78 build thread... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was out camping back in June with my kids and just as I was pulling out of the driveway my seat broke...

iMZZv1o.jpg

So after the camping trip I pulled back the fabric the best I could and spot welded it in a bunch of spots.

m2Rcx7S.jpg

Its been holding good since.

I also has some surface rust a few months back that was getting REALLY bad and I needed to fix it asap. Here are the before and after. I found a matching dark blue, but the grey I couldn't. its just temp until I get around to fixing it properly.

uKvemsX.jpg

lssfV37.jpg

Now, lets talk about the new stuff I've done to help cool the motor more.

I've added a larger heat exchanger cooler for the inter cooler system, added a tranny cooler from a early 2000 Ford Escape, modified a spare fan shroud I had so I could bring in the clutch fan closer to the engine so it wasn't hanging out so far, and rebuit another clutch fan spending a couple hours cycling the heat up and down about 10 times to make sure it was adjusted properly using 15,000 cst silicon oil in it.

pTCJU1R.jpg

Also, if you notice on this picture of the fiber glassed fan shroud you can see I cut my charge pipe and added in another silicon couple to help with the intercooler vibrating, because it would vibrate bad at stops and also it would wear out the felt pads I had it sitting on every couple months. This has solved the problem.

mmayI9n.jpg

I wish I took more pictures of the fiber glassing of the fan shroud. It worked out really good. and sits in a little over more of an inch in now.

prsgIpm.jpg

Last edited:
20161111_082232_zpsshkjx1og.jpg

So this is the ebay tranny cooler I bought for the water to air system, I ened up cutting off the 3/8 inlets and flared the 1/2 tube for less restriction. I no longer have a temp gauge hooked up to this system, so I can't tell if this cooler is working better then the old bulky one.

GzjuFfS.jpg

EbTDfqq.jpg

This tranny cooler worked out perfect for my application. I forget what year of the Ford escape it came out of, but I got it at my local wreckers and reaaaaaly cleaned it out and spent about an hour straightening out some of the fins so the air would flow better. The reason for this cooler is so it was out of the way for when I get my 12,000lbs winch in the near future. I also drilled holes in that cross bar for more air flow.

Aejs7IW.jpg

As you can see, lots of space for a winch.

pBIFmnV.jpg

hWneJSN.jpg

Now on an end note.

With this added tranny cooler hooked up before the rad and the new clutch fan, fan shroud, drilled holes in the front cross bar, and heat exhanger the radiator runs around 10 degrees cooler during normal driving, and driving up that REALLY long hill to get to my house the cooling system going from normally 86c - 93c degrees, it runs around 86c - 90c now. I still have one big cost I'm saving up for next spring. I want to do a 4 core rad rebuild on a original Prado rad.

Didi you modified the fan clutch engaging temperature? which setting you went for?

Did you put high flow thermostat on it too?

Yes..I set it to start to turn on at 95F.. idling at normal temps I can grab it while the engine is running and stop it.... and going up large hills you can really hear the fan working...

As for high flow thermostate, yes.. I run the tridon 30% more flow that opens at 88c. If you read through my thread.. I have a link to the item number.

I also did the front knuckles with a rebuild kit I got off RADD Cruisers a couple years back.

Hi Jarrat,

Great information! Thank you for sharing.

After reading, I had a couple of questions regarding servicing the LJ78:

1) I have read that the brushes of the Electric Hub Locker need to be held back while doing the knuckle rebuild. Where are these brushes and what is a good method to place them in position during reinstall??

2) Where do you source the timing belt and water pump?

Hi Jarrat,

1) I have read that the brushes of the Electric Hub Locker need to be held back while doing the knuckle rebuild. Where are these brushes and what is a good method to place them in position during reinstall??

I use a small wire through the hole on the outside of the hub to hold back the brushes and once a couple nuts are holding the ehub on, I pull the pin and test right away.... Maybe someone has a writeup on this? I should do a youtube video next time I service my hubs.

As for the timing belt, and accessories I just ebayed mine from this guy..

Heavy Duty Water Pump Timing Belt Kit Fits Toyota 2L 3L 5L Hilux Hi Ace Prado | eBay

Last edited:
Hi Jarrat,

Further to question one, here is a section of the Toyota service manual that covers the front axle. Has all the info on e-hubs, brushes, etc. https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/rm183e_sa-pdf.1289363/

You should download the whole manuals for the vehicle and engine. They are both on this website.

Hi Jarrat,

Thanks for taking the time to share your build experience here on the forum, your commitment and knuckle bustin on your Prado is inspirational.

I have a couple questions:
Do you happen to know what the air temp is on the compressed side of the turbo?
And, do you still feel the temp switch on your inter-cooler was worth the effort (and why)?

Thanks again, Allen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom