Builds My LJ78 build thread... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you happen to know what brand the roof rack gutter mounts are? Look nice. Oh, love the stir stick too!!;)

Sorry, didn't see this until today... those are just thule roof mounts... pretty basic ones, I have a set I found at a local garage sale. Won't be using them for the rack as I have a different idea of what I'd like to do.

My alternator for the past year wasn't up to par and at idle it would drop a little, plus having the lights on, blower motor, and wipers it would dip to a scary 12volts at the battery. The battery light wouldn't come on, but it wasn't something I wanted to do the trip with, like the a/c going through rush hour in the Portland and Seattle traffic. I ordered a 1990 Toyota Corolla 70amp Denso alternator from Rockauto and pulled the guts out of it and put them into my alternator with success. I priced out all the parts individually before hand and they came to MORE than a whole alternator, so that is why I went with the whole alternator from a similar alternator to the Prados (part numbers crossed over)..

This information here is great. I just got a LJ78 a few days ago, and my dash light started flashing, scaring the s*** out of me. I readl all the post I could on the subject, and followed all the steps. Connections, grounds, terminals, etc. Nothing worked, and it was obvious my regulator was starting to fail. The corolla alternator parts work perfectly, we're readily available, and affordable. It worked perfectly. My wipers are much faster, all dash lights, brighter, window go up and down much quicker as well. These forums are amazing, Thank you, all! - Mike

This information here is great. I just got a LJ78 a few days ago, and my dash light started flashing, scaring the s*** out of me. I readl all the post I could on the subject, and followed all the steps. Connections, grounds, terminals, etc. Nothing worked, and it was obvious my regulator was starting to fail. The corolla alternator parts work perfectly, we're readily available, and affordable. It worked perfectly. My wipers are much faster, all dash lights, brighter, window go up and down much quicker as well. These forums are amazing, Thank you, all! - Mike

Thats awesome, and yes.. so thankful for this site, it has saved me lots of money and headaches also..

hey 2 more noob questions:
1.I understand the spacer setup fro the front springs to lift it abit- what do you do for the back suspension?
2.what's the reason for the oil dump blue line thingy :) that was one of your first mods?

thanks!

hey 2 more noob questions:
1.I understand the spacer setup fro the front springs to lift it abit- what do you do for the back suspension?
2.what's the reason for the oil dump blue line thingy :) that was one of your first mods?

thanks!

With the OME lift for our trucks, the back sits higher then the front. The only reason I and other people have added the spacers is to level the truck a bit better.

The blue oil dump thing? I think your talking about the oil catch can? Just youtube a oil catch can video and they will explain. My main reason I did it was to catch the oil vapors in the can instead of just sucking them directly back into the intake and gumming it all up.

With the OME lift for our trucks, the back sits higher then the front. The only reason I and other people have added the spacers is to level the truck a bit better.

The blue oil dump thing? I think your talking about the oil catch can? Just youtube a oil catch can video and they will explain. My main reason I did it was to catch the oil vapors in the can instead of just sucking them directly back into the intake and gumming it all up.

...ok I'm going to youtube that...thanks!
...my truck site almost dead level-even with the bulbar that is in front.
it has brand new Toyota shocks so I was going to keep them for now... ...I'm going to have to figure out a similar spacer for the back...all I need around here is 1-2 inches

take it easy

Last edited:
Just stumbled across the OME spring rate info for the springs we have put in our trucks.

(Front) OME872:
Coil Specifications
Bar Diameter
(mm)
Free Height (mm)
# of Coils
Coil weight (lbs)
Spring Rate (lbf/in)
Spring Rate (N/mm)
OE Spring Rate (lbs)

(Rear) OME873:
Coil Specifications
Bar Diameter
(mm)
Free Height (mm)
# of Coils
Coil weight (lbs)
Spring Rate (lbf/in)
Spring Rate (N/mm)
OE Spring Rate (lbs)

Last edited:
Hmmm...... I don't mind my setup at the moment... just the truck leaning to one side is driving me crazy. I gotta do something soon.

Exactly same issue happened with my Ironman +2 lift kit.. after about a year the truck started to lean to the driver's side (rhs) so I fabricated spring spacers (similar to the ones you did) for the rear and for the front (only one side obviously) to level it out. Now my truck sits level and still rides very good! Actually might bolt another 10mm to my current rear spacer as it leaned abit more now... But thats just my OCD kicking in :bang::D

I ended up making that flange out of 3/8ths mild steel. I cut it out using my drill press, jig saw, and rotory file. I had a 2.5 inch exhaust from a honda civic. I used to race honda's back in the day, turbo'n them and yea. So this was just free stuff.

20150628_190314_zpszqz5sfpj.jpg

20150707_184221_zpsk3oqeqgw.jpg
20150711_152115_zps71nayqgp.jpg

So, after I got the downpipe done, then it was time to finish the exhaust.

20150708_200258_zpsuo09icha.jpg

20150711_152106_zps68megs6t.jpg

IMG_20150711_153534_zpswgsthc0l.jpg

The install fit great, other than when I shut it off it was hitting the running board. I added an extra hanger later and that has solved 90% the problem. I do plan on adding in flex joint just after or on the down pipe later if I have a problem with the exhaust cracking.

Great work on everything! I plan to read through your whole thread, but I've got a question first since I'm getting ready to redo our exhaust on our '96 one. Do you have any pics of everything installed underneath? Was is real loud, would you do it again and do any fumes come in the cab? Thank you!!!

I can take pics of it all installed.. I need to pull it all out again and redo the paint this year again as most of it has come off. The exhaust is a little louder than stock..still quiet inside while driving. I haven't had any fumes come inside the truck. The rear tire does get a little darker from the exhaust though.

Great, yes please! The interior on these are surprisingly quite and I'd like to keep it that way so I can hear my wife and kids...lol! Thank you!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom