Builds My GCC Spec 1HD-FTE Converted FZJ100 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sooooo new quarter-splice time?

Yup! The quarter panel will have to come from the middle east as the corner roof rack steps option wasn't offered anywhere else as far as I know...

Still dealing with ICBC for the insurance. They sure are slow with me... going to raise a stink if I don't hear back by Monday. I already put a bill of materials together and lined up a body shop so we will see what happens. On a nice note, having it at a body shop will let me clean up some little things. The barn doors weren't latching properly, which may also be a function of the incident. And the stripe and "4500 EFI" decals are faded so it'll be a good opportunity to get a complete new set of GCC decals! Gotta look on the bright side. :)

This is what the decals are SUPPOSED to look like:

675x900-1_-s4LHMaE0l06665.jpg

On another note - FINALLY got the truck in my hands. It's in my garage. Other than the obvious significant damage to the quarter panel by the truck driver there were no other ding or scratches to speak of through the whole trip. Seems like all parties involved handled the truck fine through it's long transit.

IMG_1987.JPG

The truck is VERY dusty. I think there were sand storms going on in Dammam when it sat before it was loaded into a container.

Going to dig into it this weekend. Have a very long list of things I want to tackle. Very excited, it's going to be a long build.

Last edited:
After many years of waiting (5+), I finally got myself a Middle East spec truck.

My original intention when joining mud many years ago was to import an 80 that I would buy from a close family friend of ours in Saudi Arabia. The deal fell through when the family decided to keep it so I was left to shop around. I ended up buying an HDJ81 out of Vancouver but the hunger for a GCC spec truck still lingered...

As it turned out, another family who lived across the street in Saudi was going to be retiring in a few years. It was a 98 so it was well within the 15 year rule in Canada for import (PERFECT!) I took it upon myself to ask early if I could have first dibs on their 100. They agreed, to my delight (understatement).

My folks made the arrangements and took possession of the truck and it has been sitting with them for the past year or so. Now it's time to figure out the import process... and also fix a few things.

The rig is a 98 FZJ100 (IFS) with 179,000 km. H151F trans, HF1A t case, sub tank, barn doors and the lovely center fridge console. It has some wear and tear which is standard with Middle East trucks. It'll turn out to be somewhat of a resto project I'm sure.

I'm in the Kingdom for a couple weeks which will allow me to tackle a few things before it goes on a boat.

A few pics.

View attachment 1368648

View attachment 1368649

View attachment 1368650

View attachment 1368651

Love it!!

Congratulations GN! I had given up on the idea of importing my 2001 GCC 100 to the US--the import process is so arduous until the car is 25 years old--a little far off. Well done!

Just another update.

Still working with insurance. It is slower than I expected but I believe it will all work out in the end.

While the truck has been in my garage I have been taking stuff apart to tally up a list of parts I need to procure. Lots of little stuff so far.

Thought people would find this ineteresting - Arabic Owners Manual!

IMG_2028.JPG

I pulled the front output off my transfer case since it was leaking. The culprit it turns out is bad u-joints in the front drive shaft. I'm positive this caused the front case seal to go. Thank god it didn't blow the diff seal. I have a new seal, front output case bearing and u joints on the way!

IMG_2027.JPG

Also noticed the 5 speed shifter was a bit loose and couldn't get the part-time t case lever to lift up into "N". Took the covers off to take a peek. The culprit of the loose 5 speed shifter I believe was a combination of a worn bushing at the end of the shift lever and the seat at the top of the transmission. Have new ones on the way. Also noticed the boot for the transfer case lever was toast which let a bunch of sand into the transmission tunnel area. This let sand into the t case lever which is why I can't lift it anymore - no more grease to be found! :(

IMG_2016.JPG

The bad bushing. This causes loose feeling shifters. This is the same for any truck that runs the H15x trans.

IMG_2023.JPG

The part time case lever is quite neat. There's a spring at the bottom that brings it down to the 4H position. It doesn't feel super tight so I decided to order a new spring as well. According to the FSM this lever type needs to be lubricated so it can slide up and down. This one was totally dried up with some sand particles in there as well. GRRR!

IMG_2030.JPG

Super cool, man! I harbor the desire to one day get an LC100 or equivalent with a manual transmission and a diesel I6. Not sure where those were sold, maybe Middle East or Australia? The barn doors are interesting, for sure, but I think I actually prefer the upper/lower on my LC. When I spend time at the track, lifting the upper door provides some convenient respite from the sun, and the lower is a nice place to sit! I do wish I had a 2H on my transfer case, that would be awesome.

Beautiful day for wrenching!

View attachment 1372834

Finally got back into the truck. Since fluids aren't available on compound I had to order them through the shop.

Did an oil change and converted to 5w30 synthetic. I'm sure the truck ran 10w30 or higher for years due to the hotter climate. Going to need the lower temp stuff for Canada!

View attachment 1372831

There was a neat 80 a couple bays over. 5 speed, barn doors and carb'd 1FZ. Interesting.

View attachment 1372833

I would love a set of those steel base model wheels! My only choice is to go with Tundra 18's but I would love to keep my 99 period correct!

I would love a set of those steel base model wheels! My only choice is to go with Tundra 18's but I would love to keep my 99 period correct!

I'd be open to trading for 16" alloys :)

It would certainly be expensive. Just pulled one of the wheels last night. These rims are HEAVY.

They are quite a bit heavier than the alloys..My uncle was just in your area too!! Yea shipping would be crazy expensive. I have a base model with no sunroof, no third row, and cloth interior which is unheard of in the US and they would round out the package perfectly.

Check out fastenal for shipping. Also if you can get them over the border (US customs has the forms to download) UPS ground is cheap

It would certainly be expensive. Just pulled one of the wheels last night. These rims are HEAVY.

I'm checking with a buddy who is a regional manager with Fastenal on their shipping. We will see. I have a friend who shipped some Ferrari wheels from England and it only cost him $200, so I curious to see what it would run. My alloys are in excellent shape.

Made some more progress last night. Parts came in!

IMG_2072.JPG

Rebuilt the t case lever and install a new boot. Also got the new seat and bushing on the 5 speed shifter.

IMG_2074.JPG

IMG_2077.JPG

Also installed a new seal and bearing on the t case front output. Love using my press!

IMG_2076.JPG

All cleaned up and ready to go

IMG_2078.JPG

Been a while since I updated this thread...

No updates on insurance still. They are giving me the run around. Anyone know a good insurance lawyer in AB?? lol

In the mean time been working on little things. Switched out the shifter side springs to tighten up the shifting even more. It's really nice now.

IMG_2308.JPG

Also got my spare battery tray figured out. Got a nice powder coat job done on it along with OEM brackets and Toyota bolts. Looks nice and tidy now.

IMG_2301.JPG

Update!

Got things settled with the insurance. They are going to pay out. Just gotta get the thing to a body shop.

But, since I'm in no hurry as my current target for having this thing finished is Moab in May, I've decided to rebuild the front end.

All ball joints are TOAST. It's crazy. Also found a leak in the steering rack. So everything is coming off and I'm doing a full overhaul.

IMG_2419.JPG

IMG_2416.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom